Insurance

pagoda

Visit site
Have been with "Y" for some years.
Up by about 15% this year......
Considerably larger increase than prior years....

anniebray

Visit site
My renewal premium for 2008 Sadler 290 is £322.47 , excess is £250. Total sum insured is £56300, current market value £54000. In commission April to 1st December on a swinging mooring in Southampton Water. Cruising limits UK Inland & Coastal waters including Ireland & Continental waters between Brest & River Elbe. I am cruiser & do not race. Seems to me ,my premium is quite reasonable compared with the OP at £822 for a very similar boat !

anniebray

Visit site
My renewal premium for 2008 Sadler 290 is £322.47 , excess is £250. Total sum insured is £56300, current market value £54000. In commission April to 1st December on a swinging mooring in Southampton Water. Cruising limits UK Inland & Coastal waters including Ireland & Continental waters between Brest & River Elbe. I am cruiser & do not race. Seems to me ,my premium is quite reasonable compared with the OP at £822 for a very similar boat !

ps my insurance is with Bishop Skinner Marine

steveallan

Visit site
ps my insurance is with Bishop Skinner Marine

Also with Bishop Skinner
Total insured value £33100
Atlantic coast of Portugal not beyond Cap St Vincent then cruising Med waters not east of 35 degrees east.
Laid up afloat from December to March.
Marina Pontoon berth
Excess £200

Cost £344 including 5 years no claims discount.

rotrax

Visit site
Just had my renewal quote with Pantaenius for following year- £820.

Can’t remebrr what it was last year but this seems a lot for a 40 year old Contessa 32 !
I’ve never claimed.

Wondered what others are paying?

Just had our from Y Yacht insurance, £870, 2008 Island Packet SP Cruiser with £150,000 agreed value and £20,000 equipment covered.

Makes your very dear!

Skylark

Visit site
This is topical for me, too as I’ve just received my renewal invitation.

My 10% increase is justified by:-

For the first time in the over 200 year history of Lloyd’s, special measures were imposed demanding that all Syndicates writing Yacht Insurance submit a sustainable business plan,,,,..

......This was because the market has spiralled down to a fundamentally unsustainable level of rates resulting in consistent attritional underwriting losses compounded by catastrophic storm claims.

My letter also says:-

You have been with us for a number of years. You may be able to get the insurance cover you want at a better price if you shop around.

I suppose it makes a change from everything else being blamed on Brexit :)

Laysula

www.stevehuntdrivinginstructor.co.uk
For the first time in the over 200 year history of Lloyd’s, special measures were imposed demanding that all Syndicates writing Yacht Insurance submit a sustainable business plan,,,,..

......This was because the market has spiralled down to a fundamentally unsustainable level of rates resulting in consistent attritional underwriting losses compounded by catastrophic storm claims.

Perhaps some insurance companies should be more aware of local area risks.

Some years ago we moved our boat from Conwy to Holyhead. On informing Bishop Skinner we were told that they would not insure her in Holyhead marina over winter. We had to be either somwhere more protected or ashore. We changed companies to GJW who were ok with staying afloat in Holyhead.
Following the tragedy at Holyhead last year, it seems that Bishop Skinner got it right.

Resolution

Visit site

Perhaps some insurance companies should be more aware of local area risks.

Some years ago we moved our boat from Conwy to Holyhead. On informing Bishop Skinner we were told that they would not insure her in Holyhead marina over winter. We had to be either somwhere more protected or ashore. We changed companies to GJW who were ok with staying afloat in Holyhead.
Following the tragedy at Holyhead last year, it seems that Bishop Skinner got it right.

GJW's offices are in Liverpool; there can't be many insurance companies more local to Holyhead. Of course their policies are underwritten by Munich Re, so maybe that was where the decision was actually made.
Anyway, yesterday my renewal invitation came through from GJW, same cost as last year. Quite a relief.

G12

Visit site
My premium was up this year too from Pantaenius. I use them because they give me unlimited single handed within my cruising area (down to Gibraltar). Nobody else is interested in that and impose max trips of 18hrs or other daft limitations.

Seems we're all in the same boat so to speak so I don't feel quite so bad about the increase if it is across the board.
Here's what Pantaenius wrote when I queried the increase.

Thank you for your email of 06/04/2019. Unfortunately, we have been required by insurers to apply a premium increase to all Hull and Third Party Liability*polices again this year, irrespective of our client's claim history or the level of inflation.*

It has become increasingly difficult for yacht insurance providers to find insurers that are prepared to underwrite policies for yachts and other marine risks.*Many insurers have pulled out of the yacht market completely and those that remain are not prepared to continue to incur losses as a result of the relatively low premiums that yacht owners have benefitted from during the last two decades.*High levels of competition in the market and low premium rates have been beneficial for clients in recent years, but this has also created an environment where fewer insurers consider this business as attractive or sustainable. We are aware that other providers in the market have had great difficulty in securing insurers to underwrite their products and those that have, are experiencing the same pressure to increase premiums.*You may, therefore, wish to satisfy yourself that the underwriting security behind any chosen provider continues to be robust, particularly if you prefer to maintain a long term home for your yacht insurance.*We are determined to ensure that Pantaenius will continue to provide the broad cover and high level of customer service and claims handling for its clients well into the future.*Unfortunately, this has come at a cost and we have been forced to increase premiums.

We hope the above goes someway to explain the situation. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Kind regards,

Visit site
It has become increasingly difficult for yacht insurance providers to find insurers that are prepared to underwrite policies for yachts and other marine risks.*Many insurers have pulled out of the yacht market completely and those that remain are not prepared to continue to incur losses as a result of the relatively low premiums that yacht owners have benefitted from during the last two decades.*High levels of competition in the market and low premium rates have been beneficial for clients in recent years, but this has also created an environment where fewer insurers consider this business as attractive or sustainable. We are aware that other providers in the market have had great difficulty in securing insurers to underwrite their products and those that have, are experiencing the same pressure to increase premiums.*You may, therefore, wish to satisfy yourself that the underwriting security behind any chosen provider continues to be robust, particularly if you prefer to maintain a long term home for your yacht insurance.*We are determined to ensure that Pantaenius will continue to provide the broad cover and high level of customer service and claims handling for its clients well into the future.*Unfortunately, this has come at a cost and we have been forced to increase premiums.

We hope the above goes someway to explain the situation. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Kind regards,

It can't really be that difficult for maritime underwriters otherwise the shipping industry would no long exist.

Other threads that may be of interest