Insulating the top of a fridge?

neil1967

Visit site
The top loading fridge on our yacht has an insulated lid about 50mm deep that covers about 75% of the top of the fridge. However, the other 25% of the top of the fridge is uninsulated (it is the galley worktop). In practical terms how much difference is this likely to make (given that the cold air sinks). If it does make a significant difference, would adding a layer of insulation inside the fridge make a difference, and what would be the best material and method of achieving this?

Neil

Ross D

Visit site
25% of the fridge top uninsulated will make quite a bit of difference, there will be warm air all around the galley and if the sun gets in and can shine on the top it will heat that part of the worktop. I would stay away from trying to insulate within the fridge itself as any insulation will get fairly dirty and unhygienic. Could you squeeze anything between the top of the fridge and the worktop? 15mm Celotex for example, or trilaminate foil insulation, or maybe just use some expanding foam, or it the top of the inside of the fridge the underside of the worktop?

Ross

neil1967

Visit site
Unfortunately the top of the inside of the fridge is the underside of the worktop. My current thought is to make a false top to the fridge out of plastic and then insert some insulation between the false top and the real top - not sure what insulation to get, or where I could get it from.

Ross D

Visit site
That sounds like the best option to me, Celotex building insulation is very effective and usually cheaper than the equivalent Kingspan. Buy it in sheets from a builders merchants. However, for a small area you may be able to find a piece by asking for an off cut/ scrap at a building site. It is a closed cell foam so can't absorb water and will give you the best insulation available.