Info reqd: Volvo Penta Archimedes outboard

G

Gotta new motor innit. Only bugger is it don't work (I was given it 'cos it don't work). 6 ps (looks bigger, but it's old and orange), 2 cylinders, 2 stroke with built-in 12v generator, forward and reverse gears and external tank (containing 3 year old petrol/oil mix).
Spark plugs both look fine and produce a spark, there's compression to both cylinders, the carb looks OK with no dirt in the float chamber and fuel flowing freely in. Fuel gets to the cylinders too. But it just will not kick over:
Pull the cord and nothing, just wheezing. Try easy start (this stuff should start a dead camel or a least make it cough)- nothing.
What now? Anyone even heard of these beasts or maybe know where a manual for one is?
I'll strip the head off next and jump on it a few times.
Help & ideas please!

iangrant

Visit site
I had one, the water ways had rotted through, but the engine was fine, ran really well but the impellor would not pump, 'cause the housing was rotten. On advice from the engine chaps I threw it away. Sounds like yours has rings/bores/main seals troubles - do the same send it off to old outboard heaven, it will NEVER be reliable enough to go to sea!!!

Sorry - ;-o(

Ian

G

Thanks for the info

I'll strip it down and see what pops up. I shall consider it a jigsaw puzzle rather than a real project. You never know though!

mark_turner

Visit site
Re: Thanks for the info

I have been given two of these things.

First one was a project for me and after a lot of time I got it going. Biggest problem was a VERY weak spark. This makes it totally unreliable. Its now sittin in my father in law's back garden waiting for me to take it to the dump.

I've got another one given to me now. A little baby one (its got a 39 written on the side I think). Its in my garage and I suspect that I will soon make it another waste of time project.

Oh yes, waterways had rusted through on the first one. The second is air cooled.

Good luck.