Inflatable tents?

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
I spent 2 month in Australia over Christmas and New Year.
The family had tents which use inflatable tubes, in place of the more traditional aluminum or grass fiber tubes or rods.
We had the tents pitched on grass a little way back from the beach, in quite windy weather, not a gale but enough to blow deck chairs around, they swayed a little, but stood up to the wind remarkably well.
It got me thinking about using inflatable tubes for a cockpit tent, in place of the SS tubes I currently use. These are big an cumbersome and need to be stored when not in use, and although the current system works well enough, I was wondering if anyone had tried inflatable tubes?
You can buy spare inflatable tubes for tents in the UK, and it might be possible to use these tubes, at least for a trial.
You'd have the work out a way of fixing the ends of the tubes to the cockpit coaming, the tents use webbing and ground pegs.

Any thoughts, or is this a daft idea? (y)(n) ?

geem

Visit site
The s/s tubes work really well. Why do you want to replace them with something that gets punctured? They will be larger diameter than s/s tubes so they will get in the way. If you fall on our sprayhood, the tubes are robust. With inflatable tubes you may end up flattening the sprayhood.
How do you secure the sprayhood? Our straps fix to the middle of a tube. Can't imagine that working on a bendy tube

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
The s/s tubes work really well. Why do you want to replace them with something that gets punctured? They will be larger diameter than s/s tubes so they will get in the way. If you fall on our sprayhood, the tubes are robust. With inflatable tubes you may end up flattening the sprayhood.
How do you secure the sprayhood? Our straps fix to the middle of a tube. Can't imagine that working on a bendy tube
It sounds a rubbish idea for a sprayhood, but the suggested cockpit tent could be a different matter.
I’ve got a Habitent for my 24footer, and it’s a faff, but it packs down small enough to go in the very cramped under seat lockers in the saloon where it stays permanently because it’s too faffy to use, inflatable tubes might be a better option for that. There’s no way I could store a stainless frame aboard, permanently mounted or folded up into a lazarette.

Last edited:

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
Definitely just the tent, the sprayhood will stay SS tube, and I might convert it to a hardtop, because the spray hood never comes down.
However, the tent goes up most nights, it provides a dry area to take wet gear off and to hang wet gear to dry.
Putting it up and taking it down is a hassle, the 2 SS tubes fold forwards onto the spray hood and the top of the tent goes with them, the side panels zip in, and store below when underway.

fredrussell

Visit site
I go camping every year with friends in windy north Norfolk. When the wind gets up, the first tents to fail are the inflatable ones, after that it’s the fibreglass poled ‘tunnel’ tents. Tents with rigid poles don’t fall down.

Martin_J

Visit site
I'm sitting on board now looking at the interior of the cockpit tent I made three or four years ago.

As you say, it is a bit of a pain stowing the frame away and I was wondering about my next sewing project.

I wonder if I'd have to put the shape together with inflatable bits first, then pattern the top and sides from that... although on second thoughts, pattering from what I already have, then making inflatable tube bits to match might just work.

A couple of guy lines from top corners to the split backstay and it could be good..

geem

Visit site
I go camping every year with friends in windy north Norfolk. When the wind gets up, the first tents to fail are the inflatable ones, after that it’s the fibreglass poled ‘tunnel’ tents. Tents with rigid poles don’t fall down.
We found the opposite. Our inflatable pole tent was the only one standing after a storm. It just bent almost flat in the gusts and sprang back up afterwards. It didn't do much for a night's sleep though😵‍💫

Neeves

Visit site
I believe the inflatable tent, or the tent supported by inflatable tubes, was developed by Vango who were, still are, a Scots company established 1966. Their major competitor must have been Blacks and Millets. The idea that inflatable tubes for a tent is an Australian idea needs some polishing. However the Roof Top Tent, one that sits on a car (or 4x4) roof rack, I believe is an Australian/South African idea, they open up like an old fashioned pram, and could be developed to 'become' a cockpit tent (if the market we're large enough to support the development). The frame might be a challenge to store.

This our RTT, opened up indoors. Its 2m long by 140cm wide. The second picture shows it installed, properly.

They are now custom made for specific vehicles, say Defender.

IMG_9309.jpeg

IMG_9543.jpeg

The thread drift police are going to have a field day this time, not only thread drift but terrestrial. Some people really do lack a thirst for knowledge. Eduard De Bono would be cringeing.

Jonathan