INEOS AC 2-0

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Glad all the crew are ok.

At least it wasn't a pitch poll. Hopefully this is not likely with the weight of the foils .

Such a shame. It was a brilliant race.

Bobc

Visit site
Glad all the crew are ok.

At least it wasn't a pitch poll. Hopefully this is not likely with the weight of the foils .

Such a shame. It was a brilliant race.
I think that he the runner been slack and the main been allowed to twist off, then they would have gone straight down the mine.

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
Great to hear that Team NZ are going to assist in the repairs. Makes sense to save the event with the 2nd RR weekend now down from 6 to 2 races and potentially the repechage not needed without a 3rd challenger.
Let's hope the boat can be salvaged. And maybe the organisers can offer additional non-points scoring racing (including NZ?) to make up any shortfall.

RJJ

Visit site
Good press conf with Terry H. Seems it was internal structure (frame) breaking free on impact that punched out the hole in the hull.
- Ultrasound already done
- Needs new canting system (will pinch from Defiant)
- Needs new electronics

(4) American Magic Capsize | Press Conference - YouTube
I can imagine they can get back to the line. Will be an incredible effort. But will they be competitive?

Bobc

Visit site
So it looks like we'll just have 2 races next weekend then, and perhaps a decider if Luna Rosa win both and it ends in a draw.

bedouin

Visit site
I'm a little surprised there isn't more sealed buoyancy in the boat to stop it sinking even in the case of a major hull breach. Surely there is enough spare volume inside the hull to provide enough buoyancy without getting in the way of all the equipment

Bobc

Visit site
I'm a little surprised there isn't more sealed buoyancy in the boat to stop it sinking even in the case of a major hull breach. Surely there is enough spare volume inside the hull to provide enough buoyancy without getting in the way of all the equipment
It all adds weight.

Laser310

Visit site
The hole was quite square, almost like something had punched through the hull.

did you see the press conference?

There had been speculation that an LI battery went through, but TH said the shape of the hole was constrained by the internal structural grid

Bobc

Visit site
did you see the press conference?

There had been speculation that an LI battery went through, but TH said the shape of the hole was constrained by the internal structural grid
Yes, saw that.

I appears that Ben has 1 more race that he needs to win. If there are 2 more races, and LR win both (tying them on points) then the rules say that the winner of the last race becomes the winner of the round-robins. which would be LR.

Laser310

Visit site
So it looks like we'll just have 2 races next weekend then, and perhaps a decider if Luna Rosa win both and it ends in a draw.

Of course, the capsize was bad for anyone interested in having the best regatta possible...

But it also makes the direct advancement of INEOS to the Prada Cup finals a little less certain.

Laser310

Visit site
of course ther sail-off between the #2 and #3 boats will give a lot of valuable practice, so it's not necessarily a bad thing to be in the sail off - as long as you win it!

Concerto

Visit site
Saw this quote and thought it certainly applies. (Adventures Weekly: Prada Cup Review and Hutchinson's Mission (sail-world.com) )

"Patriot goes up at speed.
Patriot comes down with force.
Patriot almost sinks.
In a true illustration of the sailing community, all teams, organisers and emergency personnel pitch in to the rescue effort.
Patriot is rescued.
Patriot should be back and racing by the end of the Prada Cup.
That is the past 48 hours in a nutshell. "

Tomahawk

Visit site
Yes, saw that.

I appears that Ben has 1 more race that he needs to win. If there are 2 more races, and LR win both (tying them on points) then the rules say that the winner of the last race becomes the winner of the round-robins. which would be LR.

That doesn’t make sense. Rita and LR would both have four wins... but because LR was racing when the rules do not allow Rita to be racing having won four straight races, they loose the Prada Cup! Sherly, there should be one last race between LR and Rita?