INEOS AC 2-0

Laser310

Visit site
I think MozzySails goes a bit easy on Giles for that duck - it was terrible.., and possibly costly.

had it been a closer duck, INEOS might have had a chance to use the starboard tack advantage on the next cross, and forced LR to duck

It might not have changed the outcome, but it was still a cock up

bignick

Visit site
It was Giles that made the call that they couldn't pull off the lee-bow tack. If his judgement was that far off with the duck then there is a strong possibility that they could have done it. Admittedly LR dialled down to put the pressure on, but these guys are at the top of their game and should have realised what was happening.

Laser310

Visit site
Boat isn't fast enough right now. They need to find a couple of % by Wednesday.

I agree - but the stats aren't the whole story

LR has been forcing INEOS to sail in less wind - on the unfavoured side of the course - and also in disturbed wind.., so of course INEOS will be slower.

it makes the BSP problem look worse than it probably is

Also, I think that, as I said above, the narrow course just takes away any possibility of leverage and takes away a chief weapon of the boat behind.

the leverage issue is made even worse when you consider that the leads are often 100 - 200m or more, which is a lot for match racing generally. The possible gain from a realistic wind shift with such small leverage is only going to be a fraction of the typical lead. However, in "normal" match racing, with smaller leads, and wider courses/more leverage.., the gain/loss on a realistic wind shift can be multiples of the lead distance.

That's a passing opportunity!

We just don;t have that in this racing.

E39mad

Visit site
LR pressurising Ineos into mistakes.

LR has better VMG upwind so you have to get them at the start or have a serious wind shift in your favour. Downwind there is very little speed difference and less of a chance to catch/pass.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I didn't expect Sir Ben to be so regularly bested at the start

It's surprising isn't it. One assumes that the plan is made up well before the start. Has to be pressure . How to go from a hero to zero in two days. You have to feel for them . I wonder how much speed is lost with both foils down.

Laser310

Visit site
It's surprising isn't it. One assumes that the plan is made up well before the start. Has to be pressure . How to go from a hero to zero in two days. You have to feel for them . I wonder how much speed is lost with both foils down.

I think even in these highly simplified match racing starts they can only have a general idea of what they want to do

Often it is going to be a case of the plan not surviving contact with the enemy, so they need to improvise

Improvising is actually what Ben should be best at...

I hope that he finds his confidence, and that the team find a bit more boat speed, or it's going to be a pretty boring prada cup final.

So far, mostly the Prada Cup has been a huge disappointment in terms of the competition - mostly one-sided races...

If it wasn't the AC, would you watch it?

Not me.

Bobc

Visit site
Is LR the faster, albeit a tiny bit, boat?
What I saw today was that the boat speeds were virtually identical. When you consider that Ineos was forced to sail on the un-favoured side, and was sailing in LR's disturbed wind pretty-much all the time upwind, my suspicion is that Ineos probably actually has the edge in boatspeed both upwind and downwind, but they haven't had the chance yet.

If they can win the start, I suspect they'll be able to extend and win, but they must win the starts as they don't have the opportunity or enough extra speed to get back through.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I think the data I saw gave LR .5kt upwind and .2Kt downwind speed advantage. Not sure really how much of that was bad air I suspect most of it was boat performance.

Bobc

Visit site
I think the data I saw gave LR .5kt upwind and .2Kt downwind speed advantage. Not sure really how much of that was bad air I suspect most of it was boat performance.
Sat in dirty air I reckon could cost 2-3kts in direct boat speed, and will also cost VMG as you won't be able to point so high. Definitely more than 0.5kts.