In mast furling - canyou take it off?

alorwin

Visit site
Hi

We are in the process of buying a boat with in-mast furling by Facnor from 1994. I realise from reading that a lot of people think that in-mast furling isn't such as good thing, and I have these reservations too , especially having learnt to sail on a boat with slab reefing.

So, can you take it off? I'm not all that up on how it works, and I'm only seeing the boat next week, so not sure what its about. If you can take it off, convert it back, how does it work and is it relatively easy and inexpensive?

Would appreciate anyone with a bit of knowledge on this one, to educate my mind!!

Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you soon.

Amanda OP

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
the furling gear comes in two flavours. when fitted from new it will often be an integral part of the mast section and not removable without a new mast.

the post-fitted type is rivetted to the mast and can be removed by drilling out the rivets. there may be a conventional track underneath or you might have to add one. the row of holes left behind when removing the furler need to be stopped up, probably with short monel rivets.

when drilling out the old rivets you use an oversize drill and stop as soon as the rivet head falls off, then tap the body of the rivet through. it's a good idea to retrieve the dead rivets from inside the mast as they contain bits of steel which could cause corrosion.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
You have a facnor system that can easily be removed, however if you do you will need to get a new mainsail as the old one will not be suitable for your original mast. Howevr, before you do that it would be worth trying the system. I converted to a behind mast system last year, and I have had the occasional problem (probably while I am still getting used to the system, and always when I am un-furling the sail, never when reefing) As I frequently go out on my own, I have found the system a great advantage. I am much happier reefing than before, and thus do it when needed! Every system has advantages and disadvantages, and it is really a case of trying it for yourself. The majority of complaints are hearsaye, or from people who couldnt be bothered to set their equipment up correctly.

One recommendation is that you have a small winch (no more than a 6 or 8) sited so that you can control the lines for reefing and un-furling.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mike_bryon

Visit site
I would suggest sailing a newly purchased boat for a while before making any major changes. You can then decide on the priority of the changes that you want to make. You may find that the in-mast reefing is ok after all or that other changes are more pressing. The system is quite new so it might avoid some of the difficulties associated with older systems I sailed from Crete to the UK on a boat with an in-mast system from the early 80's and every criticism of in-mast reefing was true of that particular model.

I do not agree that the majority of complaints are hearsay, some may well be but many of the views expressed on both sides of the debate are undoubted based on first-hand experience.

Best wishes with your search.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Capt_Marlinspike

Visit site
I have in mast furling and have grown to quite like it. It basically comes down to
Benefit
In mast reefing makes sail handling very easy, excellent for single / short handed.
Cost
The shape of the sail is inevitably quite poor, so performance suffers.

As I am a cruising sailor not a racer I am happy with the system.

<hr width=100% size=1>

alorwin

Visit site
Hi!

Thanks for all the responses! I think it will be probably best if we give it a try and see how we goet on, as many of you suggest! Seems silly to remove something that may be of benefit before we've given it a try!

Once again, thanks for all the information.

Amanda Parker

<hr width=100% size=1>

pragmatist

Visit site
Do try before you ditch it - but I will say that getting rid of our behind mast furling was the best thing we've done - she came up 2" on the waterline at the bow ! The windage was appalling and having restored her to the original spec has made her much more comfortable when tied up. Ironically the original sail was very good for going to windward - nice and flat - not so good downwind.

<hr width=100% size=1>a pragmatist is an optimist with a boat in the UK