Votes: 275 50.8%
  • OUT

Votes: 266 49.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
It would be interesting to see the views of the forumites on the IN or OUT from EU imminent referendum. The Brits have always enjoyed spending holidays in the Med countries and many (many more than we think) spend more time there than here; most of them ending up working there on full time jobs in both the tourist and the professional industries.

I personally know many Brits who went to Greece to enjoy the sailing and the sun and soon moved there permanently. If the outcome is OUT, would this affect those who live there? or the whole thing is just a paper exercise?

Last edited:

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I wonder if EU attitude to us using Red would change if we came out.
It could change for better, boat is foreign country flagged so foreign rules, like CI boats who have never, as far as I'm aware, had a problem, or worse, charge duty on fuel in tank.

Ps and the other change might possibly be us having to fill out, was it 1331? I can't even remember the form number, it's been so long, for the Customs and Excise. That will put them under pressure dealing with it.

Last edited:

rotrax

Visit site
Not really, it has been vastly accelerated in the last 10 years

Whatever do you mean "Not really"?

Of course British Citizens were working and living in what are now EU countries long before we joined.

We were trading with, holidaying in, adventuring, working and living in just about every country in the world at some time.

Only the quantities have changed, not the basic premis.

Why should it change? If Spain chucked out the Brits who live there expect severe local economic downturn. Their pension Euro's are essential for the local economies.

It is hardly concievable that the EU will be able to stop travel, the right to hold residency and have employment in any EU State against the wishes of that State.

I f they did it could go the the ECJ.............................

Biggles Wader

Visit site
"its the economy,stupid"
Will we be better off in or out.Everything else can be sorted later,but without money we will totally b00gered.So here's the question------Do you feel lucky?

Colvic Watson

Visit site
The EU needs us waaaaaay more than we need them. Our balance of trade with the EU is negative and there would be a long time after the vote before actual exit, most commentators are talking about up to ten years, during which it would be business as usual whilst treaties and trade agreements are negotiated.

Heckler

Visit site
Like the American motor yacht that was charged thousands by the Belgians?

Pete
Yep ,but it wasnt too much later that they were begging tourists to come back, the nasty douaneiers had been talked to!
Market forces always work!
S

ianj99

Visit site
Leave, Boris for PM, pro British Cabinet, sack all the Europhile ministers, introduce Australian/Canadian system for immigration (no job, no work permit, no entry.)

MJWF

Visit site
The EU needs us waaaaaay more than we need them. Our balance of trade with the EU is negative and there would be a long time after the vote before actual exit, most commentators are talking about up to ten years, during which it would be business as usual whilst treaties and trade agreements are negotiated.

Really not true. While we may be net importers from EU (not generally considered an economic positive) the % of exports that goes to EU in 2014 was 44.6 %. On the other hand EU exports to UK are only 21%. So who is going to be in the driving seat when doing a deal - the EU clearly. Brexit supporters have the same attitudes and arrogance that typified the failing British empire -

shan

Visit site
Really not true. While we may be net importers from EU (not generally considered an economic positive) the % of exports that goes to EU in 2014 was 44.6 %. On the other hand EU exports to UK are only 21%. So who is going to be in the driving seat when doing a deal - the EU clearly. Brexit supporters have the same attitudes and arrogance that typified the failing British empire -
Agreed.

Sybarite

Visit site
. If the outcome is OUT, would this affect those who live there? QUOTE]

1) I don't think it will be an out vote.
2) If, dear help us, it is, I don't think that there will be retaliatory measures against the expats.
3) However, I'm not taking chances; I'm exercising my rights to an Irish passport.

fergie_mac66

Visit site
I wonder if EU attitude to us using Red would change if we came out.
It could change for better, boat is foreign country flagged so foreign rules, like CI boats who have never, as far as I'm aware, had a problem, or worse, charge duty on fuel in tank.

Ps and the other change might possibly be us having to fill out, was it 1331? I can't even remember the form number, it's been so long, for the Customs and Excise. That will put them under pressure dealing with it.

Not been to CI for a while

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Of course British Citizens were working and living in what are now EU countries long before we joined.

We were trading with, holidaying in, adventuring, working and living in just about every country in the world at some time.

Only the quantities have changed, not the basic premis.

Why should it change? If Spain chucked out the Brits who live there expect severe local economic downturn. Their pension Euro's are essential for the local economies.

Yes, but, there are far more Brits who work in the Med countries and they dont receive a pension from the UK, so they rely on a job and employment over there. The may not be very happy if things change.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site

mmmmm......they buy aver 50% of our products at higher prices than other markets would

Status
Not open for further replies.