in-hull transducer again

cazzascotta

Visit site
I'm looking for someone who has installed a fishfinder with an in-hull transducer on a Beneteau Oceanis, preferably the 311, and that can tell me if the space between the water tank and the fin keel is a good point to fix the transducer.
The best answer I hope is from Beneteau, but they seem not to read this forum, so any user opinion will be welcome.
Thanks.

William_H

Visit site
Obviously it is no good hoping the signal will go through the keel.
You need a place on a relatively flat part of the bottom. Preferably where the hull is not at its thickest. good lcuk olewill

Tranona

Visit site
Have you tried the Beneteau Owners forum? or asked the service people at one of their dealers such as Ancasata?

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day cazzascotta,

You can test it without installing it.

Wet the floor area you plan to fix it and place the transducer in a plastic bag with water to eliminate any air around the base of the tranny.

Switch on and check the display, you should move an inch or less at a time to find the best location.

Any air bubbles stuck to the bottom of the tranny will give a poor result as will any trapped air in your layup.

Keel boats should mount transducers in an oil bath with room to swing, thus always pointing at the sea bed and not 20+ degrees to the side when heeled under sail, as this will indicate more depth than actual; but OK under motor.

Hope this helps.

Avagoodweekend.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
[ QUOTE ]
Keel boats should mount transducers in an oil bath with room to swing, thus always pointing at the sea bed and not 20+ degrees to the side when heeled under sail, as this will indicate more depth than actual; but OK under motor.

[/ QUOTE ] Golly. I have never seen a 'swinging transducer'. I have seen a pair of transducers with a mercury switch to turn on the one that is pointing more 'downwards' but not one that swings.

Actually most transducers that I have experience of have a fairly wide beamwidth and will put up with all normal angles of heel. Furthermore, I understand that they compute depth from the first echo received - hence giving a safer depth - and therefore don't compute from the longer distance that they 'appear' to be directed at.

Although lots of people put them in oil baths, I drill a hole and seal the thing in place as it was designed to be. The e/s works to greater depths as well as a bonus.