Impressive life boat

TiggerToo

Visit site
Last Sunday morning, we set off from Newlyn after what must have been a fairly hefty gale in the night. The waves outside the harbour were quite spectacular. Just after us, St Mary's Life Boat came out heading toward the IoS. The image of the boat powering head onto the waves was amazing to behold. I am really frustrated not to have had a camera at hand... but we were a bit too busy trying to sort out our own sail :eek:.

I was wondering: what sort of thrust, do these boat engines develop?

IanH

Visit site
Last Sunday morning, we set off from Newlyn after what must have been a fairly hefty gale in the night. The waves outside the harbour were quite spectacular. Just after us, St Mary's Life Boat came out heading toward the IoS. The image of the boat powering head onto the waves was amazing to behold. I am really frustrated not to have had a camera at hand... but we were a bit too busy trying to sort out our own sail :eek:.

I was wondering: what sort of thrust, do these boat engines develop?

2 x 1250 hp engines according to the website

mainsail1

Visit site
We went onboard the St Mary's lifeboat a couple of weeks ago for a look around on an open day. It was pristine inside and out even though I think she is the older class of lifeboat.
I was very impressed by the plastic type paint used on external fittings such as guardrails which seemed to give fantastic protection from corrosion.

FulmarJeddo

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England
Visit site
A few years ago I got involved with an incident off the Kent coast. I was ashore and noticed a Moody 31 that seemed to be having problems in a F6-7. Through my binoculars I realised it was a MOB attached by his lifeline. His wife couldn't get him back aboard. I called 999 and Whitstable ILB was launched and recovered him. He was in a bad way and was taken ashore to an awaiting ambulance. His wife was left aboard the drifting yacht and Sheerness Lifeboat was tasked to assist her. I was asked by the Coastguard to monitor the yacht until Sheerness LB arrived. I'm not sure how long it took, probably not that long, but waiting it seemed ages, until this orange glow and masses of spray appeared in the distance. It was a massive relief to me standing safely ashore, I can't imagine what it must be like to see that when you are the one in trouble.

It all turned out well in the end with the MOB making a full recovery and the yacht towed to safety. There was a write up in the lifeboat magazine and Whitstable lifeboat crew were recognised for their actions in very difficult conditions. The Coxswain reportedly said "last time I saw someone that colour, they were dead". I did start a thread at the time with a slightly longer account and MOB recovery.