impeller removal tool

rusland

Visit site
Access to my water pump is difficult. The main problem is not the face plate, but removal of the old impeller. Is there a tool for this? Inserting the replacement is manageable. I currently use two short screwdrivers, levering from side to side.

homa

Visit site
Yep,
Was in Fox's chandlers this week and happened to see one hanging up with the varoius impellers. Looked just like a bearing puller. It was something like £15.
I think it might be a Volvo part.
Cheers
Homa

FWB

N/A
Visit site
The problem with pullers is that often there is not enough room to use the puller. The people who make speedseal sell a tool to help remove the impeller.

Fill

Visit site
If the engine is a Yanmar, with the impellor housing in an almost impossible location facing aft and with some other chunk of engine in the way, a pair of long nosed right angled pliers are the thing. If there's not room for the impellor puller these are ideal. They grip the impellor and are long enough for a bit of wood to be used as a fulcrum to remove impellor without mangling it.

Got my pair in Guernsey (which is probably not a lot of help!). But are advertised by, among others, Screwfit.

TheBoatman

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
clockett clamp

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a word I've not heard in years - since my apprentice days - also known as a "hitting stick" or "thumb thumper".

This tool has a steel head to which a piece of wood is attached to act as a handle, they come in various shapes and sizes depending on how much you want to damage your fingers/thumbs etc.

They can be found in most DIY/hardware stores under the heading of "HAMMERS" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Luanda

Visit site
I have an 18 HP Yanmar, and although I've never changed the impeller, my mechanic did tell me that it was easiest to unbolt the pump unit from the chassis to change it. Have you tried this? If so, tell me how difficult it is, as I really must fit a new impeller bewfore it breaks up.

B

bob_tyler

"Jamaican screw driver"

Thought it was a Birmingham Screwdriver like they used to use at "The Austin".

LeonF

Visit site
Is there something similar that doesn't cost an aarm and a leg for a prop ?? I have the impeller tool and it's great, but need to get my prop off....and if my mate hasn't done it by the end of next week I reckon it's DIY