I'm looking for...

bedouin

Visit site
Re: I\'m looking for...

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "govern". Leaving aside all the noise recently about the RYA - and comparing it to what the "governing body" of other sports do you could say:

(a) Running Training Schemes
(b) Approving training schools
(c) Defining safety standards
(d) General communication and lobbying

It is not usually the role of a sport governing body to regulate the sport at the amateur level

Cornishman

Visit site

RE: item (b) on your list. I was told by Bill Anderson, former training manager at the RYA, that the only body which 'approves' schools was the Home Office!

charles_reed

Visit site
Methinks he meant

VHF Radio Operator's licence - tho' I don't see what that has to do with 'governing'.

In fact the whole business of the RYA being a "governing body" is a myth - it was set up and only has jurisdiction over racing - the Cruising Clubs (RCC and CA) are for the long-distance sailor.

Viking

Visit site

..my keys. As anyone seem them???

..a tall, blond nyphomanic, with a 42ft yacht, and endless supply of money..! and the energy to cope!

..a peaceful life!

claymore

Visit site
Complete Tosh

The Governing Body of any sport is the organisation which receives Central Government funding for the administration/benefit of a sport. In addition it is part of the administrative body set up to oversee lottery funding or sports organisations. Part of lottery funding is for performance and excellence, part is for participation, part is for development of facilities.
This is the common model to all UK sports.
The CA is a Voluntary Organisation - as is the RYA, the RYA happens to be the organisation recognised by Central Government/ Sport England. As is the Amateur Swimming Association, Amateur Rowing Association, British Canoe Union, Rugby Football Union, Amateur Athletics Association, Amateur Boxing Organisation etc etc
The RYA has done masses of work to support sailors in every discipline of the sport, not just racing.

regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
So you can help me then?

Firstly it would strike me that the RYA likes to use the term governing instead of representitive.

They don't as far as I can see set rules for racing, thats either international or local, or organize racing for the common man thats RORC or JOG.
Safety standards for offshore are international & MCA.

Training & "promotion" & handing down international decisions is hardly governace.

claymore

Visit site
Re: So you can help me then?

Hmm - try to think of the term 'Governing Body' as one which is recognised within the machine of Government. I think that whilst the RYA accepts the term Governing Body and operates within the spirit of one - it would define its daily dealings more accurately as 'Representative'
I think what you are driving at is something along the lines of "Who are they to say that they are a Governing Body?" and I think most people would probably take issue with such a stance, which smacks heavily of dictatorship - but if you view them as an organisation which Organises various initiatives, such as training, and represents the likes of you and I - say through the absolutely excellent work of Edmund Whelan in terms of Legal Issues - then I think it might be easier to see them in a kinder light than perhaps you are currently able to.
Is there more to your original post than meets the eye?

regards
Claymore

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
Not really

I don't know what to make of an organization that is so determined to be all things to all boaters. I'm prepared to accept that the general thrust of their policys are indeed for the good of the sailing community but I wonder at tha quality of representation we get from an organization that is so poor at representing itself to its members.

The general feeling if you canvas members or prospective members is not positive. I missed the chance to quiz Rod Carr but my question would have been " What steps was he taking to improve the relevance of the RYA to ordinary boaters?"

I'm a member but I have being thinking about why I bother.

claymore

Visit site
Perhaps

You should email him with that very question. He'd be sure to reply because thats the man he is.

regards
Claymore

Opinionated

Visit site
Re: Perhaps

Well, I'll tell you a question he never deigned to answer - "Why can't the RYA council be elected by the members on a one-member-one-vote basis, like most professional representative organisations?"

I think the current system which is club-based and clubby all round, is non-representative of anything other than the old boys running it. That is why racing has figured so high on their list of priorities.

Incidentally, I was (still am, last year running out) a member of CA for some years, and came to the conclusion that it is worse than the RYA. If you live in E London and want subsidised meals and booze, then jump in (free parking, too), plus simple accommodation, except that the OB's will have booked that up years in advance for all the obvious happenings.

(I don't have to agree with YOUR opinions, but I'll defend your right to express them).

claymore

Visit site

I think the CA handbook is very good but being a member has never really been a consideration as my world doesn't extend South of Watford
It must be a fantastic resouce if you could make use of it

regards
Claymore

Opinionated

Visit site

Handbook or pilot book? The handbook has only been looked at once or twice down the years, maybe this is an overlooked resource! Pilotbook or Almanac has always had to be paid for, as were the updates!! Now it is on the open market, in competition with all the others including Reed's.

The library at CA is worth a visit, and if I could access it as often as I need to, it would, indeed, make membership worth while, but I can't, due to geography. So it is nice for home counties, what-what?

(I don't have to agree with YOUR opinions, but I'll defend your right to express them).

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk

CA will send you any library book on loan free of charge, free of postage, although I have yet to establish whether this extends abroad. There seems to be a considerable amount of very useful cruising information available in the form of leaflets, booklets and the like without attending the HQ. Cost is very reasonable. The magazine never fails to be interesting. Still quite difficult to justify the very steep subscriptions in UK, but I only pay half being overseas.