I'm looking for a 2.5hp outboard alternative

alant

Visit site
Its not illegal to sell two strokes second hand in the EU!.

I've got a Mariner/Mercury 2 HP two stroke that I am trying to get rid of. A forumite did make me an offer subject to me finding a carrier and sorting out delivery to the other end of the country - but we were in the middle of moving house and that was all too much hassle, so its still sitting here doing nothing.

2 hp two stroke Mariner/Mercury in very tidy condition. No reasonable offer refused. I will have to go and look in the garage to see exactly whether its a Mercury or Mariner. At this time of day all I can remember is that its black and not battered looking.

I'm looking for one of those.
Pls pm if for sale.
Can get it picked up by one of the Grey Funnel Line guys.

richardsn9

Visit site
Electric outboards

I am another very happy Torqueedo user - plenty of thrust, will run at a reasonable speed for upto 2 hours, can recharge on board via an inverter, and lives in the back of the car happlly without storage problems or petrol smells. Easy to carry about as the battery detaches, and the two bits are a single handed lift, which is great to and from the tender.
The price is the big problem. However, if it lasts between five and ten years, and it does not need to be serviced, then the costs of servicing a four stroke regularly plus fuel and oil, then the money side evens out. Time will tell, but in the meantime, I think it is a great piece of kit.

chwarae

Visit site
Have a look at the Honda 2.3 hp. 4 stroke. It's air cooled and in my experience excellent. Bought one this summer and has been brilliant. Not much difference in noise, no worries about impellers and lightweight. I paid £540 which was a bit heavy but a really nice engine.

rafiki_

Visit site
I am not convinced that it is illegal to buy a 2 stroke in the Eu. Any legality issues are with the distributor. I am alos not convinced that it is illegal to import and sell these things. The regs are in RCD (but these engines do not need to comply as too small) and with NRMM, and again, I don't think these engines need to comply.

If you are really interested, it may be worth checking with the VCA, who are the Enforcement body for DBIS, www.dft.gov.uk/vca

prv

Visit site
I am not convinced that it is illegal to buy a 2 stroke in the Eu. Any legality issues are with the distributor.

I don't think anyone has seriously claimed it's illegal for the buyer. It's the selling (phrase "placing onto the market" rings a bell) that's the problem. Personally I'd have no problem buying a new Tohatsu etc if someone was prepared to take the risk of selling them. Not that Soviet-looking eBay item though.

Pete

FishyInverness

www.gaelforcegroup.com
When I worked for a Yamaha dealership, did have a customer who wanted to buy a 2-stroke new, on a commercial basis.

IIRC The response from Yamaha was that the dealership were not permitted to sell a new 2-stroke outboard without the customer providing their commercial operator's licence and it would take a year to become available!

That was about as far into the legality as I got.

alant

Visit site
When I worked for a Yamaha dealership, did have a customer who wanted to buy a 2-stroke new, on a commercial basis.

IIRC The response from Yamaha was that the dealership were not permitted to sell a new 2-stroke outboard without the customer providing their commercial operator's licence and it would take a year to become available!

That was about as far into the legality as I got.

If 2 strokes are banned, why are commercial operators able to buy?

FishyInverness

www.gaelforcegroup.com
Sorry, should perhaps rephrase the context : 2-stroke outboards are not banned, they're restricted for sale in the EU to commercial operators, UNLESS direct injection models (Mariner, Mercury, Tohatsu models are the most prevalent TLDI type)

alant

Visit site
Sorry, should perhaps rephrase the context : 2-stroke outboards are not banned, they're restricted for sale in the EU to commercial operators, UNLESS direct injection models (Mariner, Mercury, Tohatsu models are the most prevalent TLDI type)

Rephrase mine. :)

Why are commercial operators able to bypass ecological rules for 2 strokes?

rafiki_

Visit site
I don't believe there is anything in the regs to stop the sale of these 2-strokes. As I posted earlier, if you are really interested in one, check with the Enforcer first, VCA.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk

My understanding is that they are NOT banned as such - but that to be legal they must pass emission tests that are challenging, if not impossible, for standard 2-stroke engines. The direct injection 2-strokes are probably the only ones that pass the required emission standards.

Outboards are a small market, so I suspect that investing the R&D that would be required to pass the emission tests is simply not economic.

rafiki_

Visit site
I don't think engines this size have the complaince issues that some think here. Bear in mind that these engines are only suitable for tenders or very small boats, not required to meet RCD.

nmeyrick

Visit site
2hp 2 stroke free to good home

Further up the thread a few people have mentioned trying to get hold of an old 2 stroke. I have an old 2hp mariner engine which is surplus to requirements.

Inthe interst of full disclosure it is not currently working and there is some corrosion on the leg. The pull cord will not move, and when I spoke to Chris Hoyle in Dartmouth his thought was that the piston is probably seized. He was pretty confident that it should be fixable, but was not able to do it in time for us, so we ended up buying a second hand 4 stroke instead.

Given the condition it is free to a good home, collection only from central London.

Pm me if interested

bluey01

Visit site
Quick update so far since purchasing the 40lb thrust electric outboard (see link below).

As discussed I needed something to help me get my Bombard AX2 tender (very light inflatable for those that don't know) out to my mooring.

I took her out again this morning to lash everything down on the boat ready for this weeks winds.
So me and a mate (both XL) with a little current against we managed 1 knot.

What I tend to do it top it up a bit with an oar now and then, I slipped a disc earlier this year so the thought of kneeling in the tender in normal rowing position was a no no.

So overall, its ok if your not in a rush!, Very good on battery life, no noise and easy/clean to move about.

Downside obviously not powerful enough to use as an auxiliary once at your boat and would not make headway against a strong tide.

Reseller was very good, quick delivery and even got a proper invoice from Barrus in the post some weeks later.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-Electric-Motor-Thrust/dp/B004XY2U52/ref=pd_cp_sg_3

Hope this helps (either way) anyone thinking of getting one.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who bought the more powerful version.

FishyInverness

www.gaelforcegroup.com
Bluey, thanks for that, I often get asked what sort of "real world" performance can be expected in a tidal area from the electric 'thruster' outboards. Your experience is another little bit of info I can store in my head to answer that! :)