I'm looking for a 2.5hp outboard alternative

Puggy

Visit site
Have a look at the Honda 2.3 hp. 4 stroke. It's air cooled and in my experience excellent. Bought one this summer and has been brilliant. Not much difference in noise, no worries about impellers and lightweight. I paid £540 which was a bit heavy but a really nice engine.

+1
I had got two of them (they used to be much cheaper...) and being basically an air-cooled cement mixer engine seem to be indestructible, if a bit noisy, but at least I can hear where the kids are when mucking about in the tende.r.. :)

The only comment I would add is that the small 4 strokes have quite a lot of initial compression to overcome when starting them which makes them hard for children to start, and also means one tends to give them a great big heave, and giving SWMBO a healthy elbow in the face, which is not always appreciated. the Yam 2.5 is rumoured to come with an auto decompression system to overcome this, but save up.....

Seajet

Visit site
I know someone in Southern Ireland who bought a 2-stroke outboard - 5hp Mariner I think - quite recently; apparently some canny engine dealer had seen what was going to happen, and bought in a load of these engines...

I've no idea of the legalities of buying one there - while visiting by boat ? - then coming back to the UK.

jow

Visit site
Suzuki it is

Hi,
Can't see the point of buying an old 2-stroke, really.
The suzuki is cheap, reliable, uses very little fuel and you don't have to mess with oil and fuel mixture.

I had an tohatsu 2 stroke for my laser sb3 and i hated it. After complete failure (seawater got in the cylinder because of wrong storage) i bought a suzuki. Same price as the tohatsu (yes, you can still buy them if you are looking for it) and never looked back.
Starts every time, does not need new spark plugs every six months, no messing with oil mixture.
Just put fuel in, store it on the right side and change engine oil every so often.
Love it so much, i bought a second one for the tender of my 'real' boat ;)

Jow