If saildrives are so bad .....

BoatlessinOslo

Visit site
... and expensive, why are they so prevalent on new yachts? (not only the volume producers (Bav appear to put saildrives even in the 49 footers) but the smaller swans, sweden yachts, hallberg rasseys, najad, etc.)

Why's that smoke coming out the hatch ?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by BoatlessinOslo on 01/10/2002 16:37 (server time).</FONT></P>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
I can think of three reasons for starters:

They're easy to install - cut a hole in the bottom, drop it in, do the plumbing and hey presto. So cutting production times, and costs.

The drive gear takes up less room in the stern sections where boatbuilders are convinced we want aft cabins/staterooms/fornicatoriums.

They can be easily encapsulated in acoustic insulation thus giving a 'nice quiet boat'.

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
Saildrives are not all bad. Like many choices, there are advantages and disadvantages. One of the major disadvantages is that they will have a limited life through unavoidable corrosion, and when their time is up it is a big bill to replace them (I've just done it, and therefore likely to get grumpy at this point).

This replacement cost is not going to come for 10 to 15 years (mine was 13 years old when it expired). I expect manufacturers who sell new boats which are guaranteed for a year or so don't really care about bills an owner might have 15 years down the line. What sells a new boat is the accomodation now, not next decade's repair costs.

G

Answer really ...

What is the average life expectancy of a yacht engine ....?

How many replace engines at about 20 yrs yacht age ?

I have surveyed many older boats with reasonable saildrives still plugging away.

The real advantage is the 'drop-in' fitment, against all the paraphenalia of thrust bulkheads, stuffing boxs / stern seals, P brackets / skegs etc.

Both methods - shaft or sail drive - have their pros and cons ....

The bill on my shaft drive Perkins hurt a couple of years ago .... mountings, shaft, stern seal etc. making me consider a hole in bottom of boat and bolt a saildrive unit in ..... a s/hand unit could have been found for the money I spent ... but I decided that my trusted Perkins was worth it ....