If one more person says ''I bet its like painting the Forth Bridge''

Tris

Visit site
Hi New on here so i thought i would post a couple of pics of my Boat. She's a 1953 Sandbanks Motor sailer with a Gardner 4lw' 40ft long' 11beam' Oak' teak' & mahogany' Iv'e had her for around 11ish years & had No idea how much nonstop work she would be when i bought her! But she looks good! :rolleyes:
14291822_314223475604125_3449402118082700433_n.jpg
33066048_626547627705040_6913351278592524288_n.jpg
33096341_626546317705171_3462146989544701952_n.jpg

Last edited:

jamie N

Visit site
Very pretty! She'll be a real looker once you're rid of all that white paint hiding the hull! Lucky as well that there's a coffee mug stopping the support from slipping away! :)

CLB

Visit site
Wooden boats are like Giraffes, lovely to look at, but I wouldn't want to own one ;)

Well done for keeping her in fine fettle for the rest of us to admire.

maby

Visit site
Wooden boats are like Giraffes, lovely to look at, but I wouldn't want to own one ;)

Everyone should have a very good friend who owns a classic wooden boat - but own a nice, easy plastic one themselves.

dancrane

Visit site
Certainly does look terrific.

I reckon it's lucky there are so many people who care as much as they do, about keeping wooden boats at their best.

PhillM

Visit site
When people say “I love looking at wooden boats but couldn’t own one myself” I tend to agree with them. They say they’d rather sail than maintain, but I reckon I do more of both than they do. However, I’m baffled, just how excatly can you love a plastic boat?

dancrane

Visit site
My neighbours had assumed I have a wooden boat, one of those immaculately glossy classics. This was on the basis of the number of times they've seen me taking hand-tools, brushes, sandpaper and paint to the car.

I think they were disappointed and mystified when I said it's mostly GRP which largely looks after itself.

Seriously though, Phill...surely you've encountered wooden boats you didn't especially like, and GRP yachts with lines you couldn't help admiring?

I admire the looks of my boat very much, even when I'm not able to sail her. I sometimes take a picnic down there and enjoy the glorious view.

The fact that she doesn't need as much attention as an equivalent woodie would, means I do go sailing, too. Sometimes. :rolleyes:

Wansworth

Visit site
Lot more worry in owning a woodenboat such as if the boat is in a marina berth with the sun constantly heat g up one side it will affect the planking......personally a grp boat has as much soul as a wooden boat

Romeo

Visit site

I reckon it would be pretty cool to own a giraffe. As it is I make do with a couple of wooden boats. They get used more than most of the plastic boats in the harbour, and it is a lifestyle choice. Your boat looks lovely and will bring you much joy.

The bits of boat maintenance that are enjoyable are the bits that involve wood and paint. The horrible bits to me are the bits that involve plumbing, electrics and engines. Most plastic boat owners seem able to put up with all that faff.

Last edited:

maby

Visit site
Looks very nice, the plastic owners just don’t get the satisfaction of owning a proper boat.

Hmmm... A bit like houses really - friends of ours have a Tudor cottage - several hundred years old and it looks fantastic. Trouble is that it's a listed building - they have to ask permission before changing a light bulb. Maintenance is a nightmare and it's a money pit. In the winter, they spend a fortune in heating and it still feels cold much of the time. Personally, I'm very happy to visit them on Christmas Eve for mulled wine huddled up close to the big brick fireplace but very glad to return to our twenty year old estate built house which is always warm and needs very little maintenance.

dancrane

Visit site
...they spend a fortune in heating and it still feels cold much of the time. Personally, I'm very happy to visit them on Christmas Eve for mulled wine huddled up close to the big brick fireplace but very glad to return to our twenty year old estate built house which is always warm...

You're just nesh.

ctva

Visit site
Beautiful.

I do take my hat off to people like you that keep these old boats going.

PS, no need to worry about the "FB" as it's been epoxy or something fancy coated and wont need doing again for a good long time... :)

dancrane

Visit site
My first serious girlfriend was a Yorkshire lass and when her sister first clapped eyes on me, she announced to the world "Eeee, look at 'im - he's nesh!"

Good grief. You remind me why I've never been north of the Humber! :biggrin-new: Not since we moved south, anyway. :eek:

I wonder if passionate lovers of wooden boats who are equally averse to boats which aren't wooden, are fussy about which wood?

I can't help thinking plywood is itself so unnatural in its manufacture, that purists are probably a bit sniffy about boats made from it.

RupertW

Visit site
Looks very nice, the plastic owners just don’t get the satisfaction of owning a proper boat.

It's true as a plastic boat owner I get the satisfaction of many weeks sailing and modern comforts that keep guests coming back but when I look at the boat at anchor in some new bay I've never visited before I think, "I love living this way", not "I love this boat".

I'm still glad I did all the patching and varnishing and caulking and sanding and..... when I was young and love looking at wooden boats sailing by.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I had a boat that I loved dearly and a good part of the pleasure of sailing her was just that - she was a beautiful traditional boat, and sailing her was a bit like walking into a room with a beautiful girl on your arm.

I have now gone over to the dark side, not because of the maintenance, which I always enjoyed, but because I wanted to sail into warm waters.

I am now doing just as much maintenance, but most of it involves spanners rather than brushes. Not sure it is a big improvement