If not Med, where?

porth

web.mac.com
The Med seems to get a lot of stick as being overrated for family cruising; but are there any other places that are better? I am talking about (relatively) unambitious short hop cruising with three kids aged 7 to 13....Say a year's duration, with the boat being bought and sold in situ.
Any ideas? New Zealand? Australia?

<hr width=100% size=1>

charles_reed

Visit site
I\'d rate

the S Brittany coast from Le Four down to la Rochelle
the Rias Biaxas from Corme down to Bayona
Cabo S Vicente to Sancti Petri

as all better sailing than you'll find in the Western or Central Med.

whilst the sailing is very 2nd rate the history is quite something else.

You pays your money and takes your pick - but don't visit the Med for the sailing or the anchorages - very overrated.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sunnyseeker

Visit site
Re: I\'d rate

I did like the Ionian, coast and islands. But the trouble with this region is there is either too much or not enough wind, it can get very hot as the wind dies in the evenings.
As the other post said the West coast of Europe could easily take a year, for the winter, you could do a hop to the Canaries which are lovely, with some lovely old towns near the harbours, good beach islands and some for trekking inland, great climate nearly always a nice breeze.
My favourite still has to be the NW corner of Spain, Azurias and Galicia.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
erm, i kinow many say it's overrated - but that because it's rated very very highly. It's still ok. New zealand, atlantic contionental europe, englihs channel all very good but yer know what the difference is in the med ? - you can jump in for a comfy swim 6 months of the year and that makes all the difference in the world, esp for kids aged 3 to er 93.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AliM

Visit site
In the summer the Baltic is brilliant. Loads of anchorages, harbours, islands, friendly english-speaking natives. But I would agree that it's a limited season, so not quite the answer you wanted!

<hr width=100% size=1>