if i was to start boating what would be your advise on the best qualification to do first?

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I imagine some people might suggest something like Competent Crew. If you haven't sailed at all then a RIB handling course might be fun and requires zero sailing skills and you can then think about sailing. Not a qualification but you don't need a qualification in UK to start boating.

You could also do some theory stuff to keep up interest in winter evenings, just basic navigation. I imagine you will want to steer clear of the advanced stuff in Yachtmaster Ocean :D (e.g. Earth and the Celestial Sphere, Great Circle Sailing, Sun, Star and other Sights, plus Passage Planning (AKA How to avoid falling off the edge).

NormanS

Visit site
Remember the Wise Men of Gotham, who wouldn't go near the water until they could swim. 🙂
Little children learning to walk seem to manage without needing any qualifications.

Visit site
If wanting a course the RYA would say Start Yachting (2 days). I would say key thing is find out if you enjoy it before investing to much. Start Yachting, or a days sailing either with experienced friends or skippered charter would be enough to either inspire or put off!

Reactions: srm

Wansworth

Visit site
You either have to have a father who smokes a pipe and an can sail a to b without shouting or getting into a flu mmoxo or have a jolly uncle ex Army who has a nice yawl down at Itchenor who will take you for spin out round the Winner

Wansworth

Visit site
What do you need a qualification for? Join a club and go sailing on other peoples boats. Much cheaper with plenty of good company. No need to buy or maintain a boat.
My first non dinghy trip was in a beat up old something down the coast and back the next tide……how simple life was…..1966😂…..I pier jumped😂

Reactions: srm

srm

Visit site
Something to prove you are boat trained and will not throw up last nights dinner/wine/whatever anywhere other than in the designated bucket.