if i was to start boating what would be your advise on the best qualification to do first?

The Q

Visit site
Been sailing 45 years, no qualifications, however did start a a dinghy course back then but it wasn't completed due to gales.

What do you want to do?

Sailing find your local club, volunteer as crew, if you like it, then learn to helm, your skipper will probably start teaching you on the way in and out of races ..

If you must go on a course ,
Consider your objectives..
Motorboat or sailing?
Little boats, big boats?
In shore, off shore?

srm

Visit site
My first non dinghy trip was in a beat up old something down the coast and back the next tide……how simple life was…..1966😂…..I pier jumped😂
Mine was an afternoon race out of Scarborough on a rather nice yacht. Again a young lad spending too much time on the pier watching the boats being offered a trip out. The owner's next three boat were called "Prospect of Whitby" (may mean something to those of us of Wansworth's generation).

Wansworth

Visit site
Mine was an afternoon race out of Scarborough on a rather nice yacht. Again a young lad spending too much time on the pier watching the boats being offered a trip out. The owner's next three boat were called "Prospect of Whitby" (may mean something to those of us of Wansworth's generation).
Wow🙂

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Do the Flat Earth Society navigation course.
That's why I thought an RYA theory course covering things like Great Circle Sailing or Sun, Star and other Sights might be a small problem. I'm not certain use of PPS is covered as the mathematics isn't really well understood. The rather niche GPS is used instead and gives an unfair advantage to proponents of Global rather than Planar systems.