If I threw a fridge freezer in the Thames...

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Carrying out a demonstration near the Houses of Parliament without a license?

Improper disposal of equipment containing cfcs?

GBH (if the fridge lands on a passing boat)?

Fly-tipping?

Oh, and since you'll probably have to get it to the parapet on a sack barrow, they'll probably do you for being an unauthorised vehicle in a Bus Lane as well. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Why do you ask?

Thamesbank

www.thamesbank.org.uk
Publicity stunt

We are reviewing the legal protection for the Thames
and someone suggested chucking a fridge freezer off Westminster bridge to highlight the issue.
Seems only the public can fight for the river. Everyone else is eating it away.

bdsweeting

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
...off Westminster Bridge,

What laws would I be breaking?

[/ QUOTE ]Environmental Protection Act, you are disposing of Hazardous Waste without a licence.

VERY LARGE fines attached to that.

Any smaller infractions of the local byelaws would pale into insignificance.

oldgit

Visit site
There are loads of tin boxes on the Thames already according to B1.So something similar will not attract much attention.
Just paint it green and shove a few dead plants on top and no one will say a thing,esp if it is taking up loads of mooring space and does not move much from month to month. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tazzle

Visit site
Re: Publicity stunt

Sigh. It's part of the compact with the devil. The government, the GLA and the councils have all agreed to create several hundred thousand new homes in the Thames Gateway. Naturally, the nearer these are to the centre of London and its existing infrastructure the better. The people who're going to deliver these are the private housebuilders. Who will clamour to develop all the prime waterfront locations first and maybe the boring marshes at the back later.

So within 10 years we'll see a parade of identikit 14 storey blocks of flats with vestigal balconies and burnt orange and baltic blue stripes up the side marching down the waterfront from Lambeth to Gravesend on both sides of the river. With some 'affordable' or 'social' housing tucked away at the back somewhere without any view of (or easy access to) the river.

Sorry - I hate it. But it's the sad commercial reality.

Everything in the London Plan about increasing leisure moorings and facilities, access to the river for all, better use of the river is I'm sure well meant but will just get steamrollered in the relentless political drive for housing.

In London we don't seem to love the Thames in the same way as the French love the Seine or the Dutch the Ijsel.

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
There are loads of tin boxes on the Thames already according to B1.So something similar will not attract much attention.
Just paint it green and shove a few dead plants on top and no one will say a thing,esp if it is taking up loads of mooring space and does not move much from month to month. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahaha /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Glad you said it and not me.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com

absolutely agree....

The contrast between a walk alongside the Seine, and alongside the Thames is amazing..... the Seine is beautifully presented, with fabulous walks and superb floating restaurants.... the Thames is either busy congested roads, building sites, or run down towpaths full of drug addicts.....

Shame really, as it is such a wonderful river.

byron

RIP
Visit site

Blimey! Paris must have changed muchly since I was there last. Walk along the Seine meant being pestered by beggars, stepping over dog poo, looking at alcoholics, avoiding used needles and trying to look tough to deter muggers. The river is so bad I believe it is against the bye-laws to swim in it. The Paris river cops enforce the rule.

Thamesbank

www.thamesbank.org.uk
Come on

It's not hazardous waste Brian!
You should know that, being an aircon man.
I could take out the coolant first,
Throw in a VHF on channel 14,
Equip it with AIS,
And get it certified with the BSS,
Now what law am I breaking?

Seems there's no laws that protect the Thames

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Re: Come on

[ QUOTE ]
Equip it with AIS,

[/ QUOTE ]

Your original post was 'If I threw a fridge freezer in the Thames...'

You are no longer proposing to do this but to modify and adapt a fridge freezer into a vessel even to the point of obtaining a BSS certificate.
Seems to me that this is not really a protecting the thames issue but rather one of a 'care in the community' order being required.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

old_salt

Visit site
Re: Come on

[ QUOTE ]
Equip it with AIS,

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw Naw leave all the bits in and connect it up to a supply or install a Genny. With a bit of luck the Thames will freeze over and we can all go skating on it again. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifsee here.

tcm

Visit site
plenty of fines ensue without a doubt.

However, if you break into someone's house and steal *their* fridge freezer and then dump that in the thames you'll probly be let off with a caution for first offence. .