Icom IC 31 Dipole aerial adapter

Shearwater

Visit site
Would someone be kind enough to advise me what adapter I need to ask for if I want to remove the rubber duck of an ICOM IC 31 and plug in co-ax cable when I use a home-made dipole aeriel for home use. Very many thanks.

jdc

Visit site
I'm not 100% sure what you meant by 'rubber duck', but I suspect the antenna on a handheld VHF set from Icom has a female SMA connector, see for instance What are SMA Connectors? - everything RF. I suggest you look carefully at the set once you have unscrewed the antenna, and compare to to SMA or reverse SMA connectors and decide from there. The nomenclature of male and female wrt SMA connectors is as confused as a woke accademic. Be aware that 'home use' prohibits you from transmitting.

PS: 'Ask for' is probably not pertinent. You order on-line these days.

Plum

Visit site
I'm not 100% sure what you meant by 'rubber duck', but I suspect the antenna on a handheld VHF set from Icom has a female SMA connector, see for instance What are SMA Connectors? - everything RF. I suggest you look carefully at the set once you have unscrewed the antenna, and compare to to SMA or reverse SMA connectors and decide from there. The nomenclature of male and female wrt SMA connectors is as confused as a woke accademic. Be aware that 'home use' prohibits you from transmitting.

PS: 'Ask for' is probably not pertinent. You order on-line these days.
Although ICOM do use SMA connectors for handheld VHF aerials, they did not use the SMA on the old IC-M31 model, that has a very different design and I have tried, so far without success, to find a connector, so it is probably unique to ICOM. The only connector that appears close is this one but I have yet to try it for size:- Icom AD-98FSC BNC Adaptor

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
Would someone be kind enough to advise me what adapter I need to ask for if I want to remove the rubber duck of an ICOM IC 31 and plug in co-ax cable when I use a home-made dipole aeriel for home use. Very many thanks.
To avoid speculation here is a picture of the aerial of the ICOM IC M31 the OP is asking about showing that there is no central pin just a male threaded stub about 6mm diameter
20240314_203556.jpg

Last edited: