I wish I could take pictures like this!!

johnalison

Visit site
I think it has been enhanced, perhaps not overly so. It is striking, but not the kind of thing I like much. It has what I call a 'National Geographic' look about it; the sort of thing that looks good printed in a magazine. There is nothing to stop the OP from emulating this. It merely involves spending a lot of time using your eyes, and about the same deleting thousands of photos.

claymore

Visit site
It was taken by Mairi Fleck who is a professional photographer
I think the light of the flash on the forestay adds something to the picture - the line of colours reflected from the Mish and the other buildings are just perfect against the inky sky and water.
I doubt whether there is any enhancing been done - she is a most patient of women being married to the Bobster.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
OK - What if it was a shroud then? :giggle:
Whatever reflective item it is, seems to have been the only thing that got illuminated. So I didn't understand the point. A bit like the news clips I have seen (back when) of sport stadiums with the banked crowd members flashing like mad. Presumably to get a clear picture of the back of the head of the person in front!

Caraway

Visit site
I imagine that the levels have been reduced so that the only part that shows illumination is the highlight on the shroud. The more general increase in light levels being lost to the shadows.
HDR and tone-mapping have become a blight on photography. Yes they can give a real boost to a nondescript pic, but after seeing a lot of manipulated pics, a real-world unadulterated shot seems, somehow, a bit flat.

Which is a shame.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
It was taken by Mairi Fleck who is a professional photographer
I think the light of the flash on the forestay adds something to the picture - the line of colours reflected from the Mish and the other buildings are just perfect against the inky sky and water.
I doubt whether there is any enhancing been done - she is a most patient of women being married to the Bobster.
I guarantee there is loads of enhancing done.

johnalison

Visit site
With due respect to the good lady, being a professional photographer does not guarantee that they know what they are about. If you have watched the photographic competition on Sky Arts you will know what I mean, with some entrants amateur and some pros. We only watch it to have a laugh. I'm not saying I would do any better, but they are very much aiming for the magazine style and virtually all look like the example above.

ctva

Visit site
Social media is now full of stylised auto enhanced photos. They are garish and unnatural and often spoil what would otherwise be a nice pic.

I have a whizzy iPhone 12 Pro and tried the various ‘enhancements’ available at no effort, producing the HDR type pic but the natural one is just nicer. I recon it will be a passing fad.

oldharry

Visit site
I guarantee there is loads of enhancing done.
Agree entirely. Totally messed up what could have been a quite decent pic. There are numerous free and paid programmes available to do this sort of adjustment, and allow you to retrieve what at first sight seems irredeemable. The real skill is to do this sort of enhancement WITHOUT it being obvious. Well, I think so, anyway. Thats always my aim when enhancing my photos.