I should probly know this but..

burgundyben

Visit site
I suppose I should know the answers to this but, not having been a boat owner til last year alot of this has sort of passed me by, plus, I tend to just get on and use the boat and ignore all the regs and paperwork cos itz boring.

I want to charter my boat, with me as skipper, to anyone who wants to pay at Cowes Week, presumably I have to amend my insurance, but, what else do I have to do? Is there a book which outlines safety kit that I am expected to have? Some sort of code of practice?

Doubtless the oracles of the forum will have all the answers and it will be dead cheap and easy to do and my boat will meet all requirements already cos its marvellous.

......girls, girls, get back, please, one at a time......

hlb

RIP
Visit site
No expert on this. Others will tell you exactly. Put IMHO forget it. You need bits of paper for self and boat checked and with the right safty gear. Start getting ready now for next year. Hope fully.

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

ccscott49

Visit site
It's a huge process, involving all kinds of inspections, surveys and equipment, not to metion stability certificates and a lot of hassle, unless you are considering doing this on a proffesional basis, forget it. Coding, as it's called, for the MCA regulations, is all laid out in a book, I have one, and it's frightening in its complexity, it cost me £8000, to have Englander coded and equipped, for short journeys, you should be able to get hold of a book at a big central library. Have a look at it first.

JohnR

Visit site
You need to comply with the MCA Yellow Code - the hull survey, stability tests and the inspection alone cost me $8,000.00 then there is the kit, the hassle etc.

burgundyben

Visit site
Really?

My boat is only 23ft and will be staying on the Solent, its not alot different to a rib, surely they dont spent thousands on certificates and inspections etc? Any rib in the solent is worth 400 quid a day during Cowes week, I reckon they just get some insurance and go for it?

Is it different as I want to be on board?

......girls, girls, get back, please, one at a time......

JohnR

Visit site
Re: Really?

Even ribs have to comply, though they may have relaxed the rule that Ribs require life rafts (or they may not have done).
Order a copy of the Yellow Code from the RYA or from HMSO and see the problems yourself. There is nothing to stop you and I doubt that the MCA can police uncoded boats but should you have an insurance claim then the insurance company won't pay out if you were chartering and weren't coded.

Bergman

Visit site
In my experience insurance is not a great problem I used to pay 50% loading for bareboat.

The Code for commercial boats is pretty daunting and expensive, think surveys are now annual - and you have to pay for them.

Most seriously I would advise against just doing it and be damned to them.

The MCA do police

But even worse should there be an accident you will be personnaly liable insurers will not want to know.

Even worse still should someone die you will almost certainly be doing time for manslaughter.

I would suggest not worth the candle.

PS

Did the chap who wanted to hire out McG***** speedy yacht things ever get it off the ground?