I have seen hell, and it's name is Vilamoura

stranded

Visit site
I am not quite sure what I expected when we reached the Algarve. One or two replies to my earlier thread which intimated that the Spanish Rias were as good as it would get should have raised alarms. Lagos was a bit of a shock - like Blackpool without the class. But Vilamoura. Flippin' heck - human variety is a wondrous thing.

nortada

Visit site
I am not quite sure what I expected when we reached the Algarve. One or two replies to my earlier thread which intimated that the Spanish Rias were as good as it would get should have raised alarms. Lagos was a bit of a shock - like Blackpool without the class. But Vilamoura. Flippin' heck - human variety is a wondrous thing.

Sir, Please pass quietly on down the bus. Clearly you are in the wrong place.

Hope you enjoy Andalusia or if you are returning North, winter is not too harsh.

Out of interest how long have you spent in the Algarve before forming these strong opinions❓

Last edited:

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com

:D

I guess it s each to his own, when I met people who were enthusiastic about overwintering in Lagos-on-sea, I could find very few things we had in common apart from having a boat. We all have different tastes, especially while sailing, a boat should be a vehicle of happiness, doing things and being in places one likes to. As you only know what you like, watering down all advice from internet forum -any way it is directed- seems sensible :)

stranded

Visit site
:D

I guess it s each to his own, when I met people who were enthusiastic about overwintering in Lagos-on-sea, I could find very few things we had in common apart from having a boat. We all have different tastes, especially while sailing, a boat should be a vehicle of happiness, doing things and being in places one likes to. As you only know what you like, watering down all advice from internet forum -any way it is directed- seems sensible :)

Ain't that the truth. It has been fascinating, and we have seen the practical benefits of Lagos and booked into Sopromar for the winter. But boy is it different from anything I have experienced before (including, I must confess, Blackpool).

stranded

Visit site
Sir, Please pass quietly on down the bus. Clearly you are in the wrong place.

Hope you enjoy Andalusia or if you are returning North, winter is not too harsh.

Out of interest how long have you spent in the Algarve before forming these strong opinions❓

Long enough to form them. In the case of Vilamoura, I think it was about 20 minutes walk around the marina environs, by which time I had got up to, I think, 12 Irish pubs, 4 sex shops or massage parlours, as many groups of drunken English speaking blokes singing football songs or something, and what seems like Sunseeker's complete output from the past decade, the owners of a surprising number of which seemed to have been blessed with damned fine genes, judging by their daughters who adorned the bathing decks.

Ludd

Visit site
If you fancy going to Portugal for a few days then pop round to Culatra :cool:
That means anchoring--- and there's the locals, terribly Portuguese! And the fishing g boats disturbing the peace of the day. There will always be something to cplain about. One is reminded of another yacht afew years ago,spent more time on computer complaining than he did sailing

nortada

Visit site
Long enough to form them. In the case of Vilamoura, I think it was about 20 minutes walk around the marina environs, by which time I had got up to, I think, 12 Irish pubs, 4 sex shops or massage parlours, as many groups of drunken English speaking blokes singing football songs or something, and what seems like Sunseeker's complete output from the past decade, the owners of a surprising number of which seemed to have been blessed with damned fine genes, judging by their daughters who adorned the bathing decks.

Thanks for getting back.��

Twenty minutes in Vilamoura (you must have walked quickly) and how long in Lagos❓

To be fair, Lagos during the summer holidays is very different to Lagos at other times of the year.

See you have booked in to haul in Sopromar for the winter so assume you are returning north.

Last edited:

stranded

Visit site
That means anchoring--- and there's the locals, terribly Portuguese! And the fishing g boats disturbing the peace of the day. There will always be something to cplain about. One is reminded of another yacht afew years ago,spent more time on computer complaining than he did sailing

That's the other thing I've noticed - chips with everything.

GHA

Visit site

Awful place, Faro lagoon..... ;)

eb9pNrM.png

sailaboutvic

Visit site
This is what cruising all about . Some places you like and other don't ,
otherplaces you hate and others people will love .
Over the 40 years cruising Europe and the Med since I left my home land , many a time people have said how lovely a place is , only to arrive and think what a dump .
If you don't like drunken Brits ( or others ) singing song , your going to have a problem , as even the small island in Greece at time you will find them .

So my suggest is , open your eyes and take a look at all the other wonderful things you see around you ,
for ever one bad place you come across you find five great once ,
For ever one moron , you meet Ten lovely people .
enjoy your cruising , this can be a wonderful way of life ,
And if the worst come to the worst , you can always return back home , find a job and go back to weekend sailing when the weather lets you .
There are some that would give their right arm to do what your doing .

Last edited:

richardh10

Visit site
Am I to take it that Tangier is no longer an option? I'm heading to Lagos today to look at the viability of overwintering there, so will be interested to see what it's like!

nortada

Visit site
Am I to take it that Tangier is no longer an option? I'm heading to Lagos today to look at the viability of overwintering there, so will be interested to see what it's like!

You might like to have a look at: http://lagosnavigators.freeforums.org/index.php, it might give you a few ideas but as you may expect, it is a bit biased‼️

In addition to the marina, while there, you may like to have a look at the old town. As the summer rush is largely over, I anticipate Lagos has returned to its normal self.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/lagosnavigators/cruising-feedback-f27/, will give you a broader view of the Gulf of Cadiz. Think comments on Tangiers may be found there.

When you go to the marina be sure to drop by the reception and pick up a copy of their brochure. It has a lot of useful information; including a set of tide tables.

Last edited:
Visit site
This is what cruising all about . Some places you like and other don't ,
otherplaces you hate and others people will love .
Over the 40 years cruising Europe and the Med since I left my home land , many a time people have said how lovely a place is , only to arrive and think what a dump .
If you don't like drunken Brits ( or others ) singing song , your going to have a problem , as even the small island in Greece at time you will find them .

So my suggest is , open your eyes and take a look at all the other wonderful things you see around you ,
for ever one bad place you come across you find five great once ,
For ever one moron , you meet Ten lovely people .
enjoy your cruising , this can be a wonderful way of life ,
And if the worst come to the worst , you can always return back home , find a job and go back to weekend sailing when the weather lets you .
There are some that would give their right arm to do what your doing .

+1

Well said Vic

Always amazes me when people slag a place off after a short visit.
We spent two winters in Lagos and absolutely loved the place...in all that time never ever once encountered "pissed up Brits"
The fact it is one of the most popular over wintering spots in Portugal and very often close to full probably says more than anything else....
Each to their own I suppose.