I have just been Alan Mackie'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
T Also looking at the Portavadie Marina web page it shows it a copyright statement, but I believe it should be dated as there are time limits for copyright to apply. Looking at the source code for the web page shows a copyright date of 2000 to 2016.

He has copyright in any pictures he has taken (assuming they were not taken as part of his work as an employee for someone else) until seventy years after his death.

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
He has copyright in any pictures he has taken (assuming they were not taken as part of his work as an employee for someone else) until seventy years after his death.

I am sure his snaps are his own

- what amazes me is that he gets such great results - and they very good - using, apparently, a kite or a balloon which fortunately for him do not require a licence as opposed to a drone (which does) if used for commercial purposes.

V interesting.

D

PhillM

Visit site
I am sure his snaps are his own

- what amazes me is that he gets such great results - and they very good - using, apparently, a kite or a balloon which fortunately for him do not require a licence as opposed to a drone (which does) if used for commercial purposes.

V interesting.

D

He is going to regret taking on the KTL massive!

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Some of you people need to get a few facts straight before you make even bigger fools of yourselves.

As the actions of Dylan Winter are currently under investigation by various Trading Standards officers I cannot at this time say too much but ask yourself this question. Would Trading Standards by investigating Dylan Winter on my behalf in respect of potentially criminal copyright infringement (S.107 of the CDPA 1988) if there was any doubt at all about my integrity or honesty?

So, here are a few simple facts.

1: Dylan Winter has NOT been sent a claim for damages for £450 or any other amount. His claims of that are patently false.

He has been sent a Cease & Desist notice to which he has not yet made any comment. Depending on his reaction and response to my letter (and so far he's acting like a 5-year-old, stamping his likkle foot and crying for his mummy) I will then determine in conjuction with others involved what my next step might be.

So far, no sign of any “lawyer's” letter which is a shame because in the circumstances below I'm really looking forward to it.

2: He is running a successful commercial website which seems to be making him a fair amount of money according to his own words at: http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/11/columns/guest/winter/index.htm

3: This is a VERY important point and is the main issue at hand.

Dylan Winter is claiming on his website on every page and on the page on which my image appeared that he OWNS the material on his website.

He states “© Keep Turning Left” - his trading name - in VERY small letters right at the bottom of every page. Almost like he's trying to hide it?

This means that he is claiming to OWN my property - and that of all the other images he's still hot-linking to all over his site.

How would YOU feel if that happened to you? Someone comes along, takes an image of yours without asking, uses it to promote his business and then has the brass neck to claim to OWN the property he's nicked? In my view this guy is a really nasty piece of work – a serial thief.

You'll notice that Dylan Winter has made no mention of that point - made very clear to him - in any of his postings.

4: Winter, as a self-styled long-term journalist and book publisher can be fairly expected to understand that putting a copyright claim on a page of a website is an extraordinarily stupid thing to do if the material isn't your own. Not to mention, in my view, grossly arrogant. I wonder if he owns or created ANY of the material he claims authorship of.

5: His website domain name is registered to a phony address (remember, he's running a business and MUST display an accurate trading address in the domain registry) and that is being investigated by Nominet UK Ltd. There are many regulations regarding the use of a domain name and Dylan Winter is breaching a great many of them. If the information isn't corrected the site may be taken out of the registry – it wouldn't be the first domain that happened to.

In passing, my own website does not sell directly to the public and so my address need not be on the site, though of course it's not a secret as my domain name is correctly registered and always has been.

Once Dylan Winter can find the moral courage to respond to my letter rather than whinge in forums and blogs about how hard I'm being to him (I repeat - he has NOT been asked for ANY money) and he states his case (an apology would be nice – stop laughing at the back!) I will then decide what further action to take. To be frank, I'm not in a good mood over this guy's behaviour.

That of course will also be dependent on the outcome of my formal complaint to Trading Standards, though I doubt very much that he'll be charged – prosecution funds are short and this is small case. The usual response from T.S is that if the civil matter is settled they won't interfere further.

In passing, as you may know, I've dealt with these kind of cases over many years and with characters like Dylan Winter just as often. I joke with my legal advisors that I have a printed list of lies and false claims that will be made by offenders trying to pretend they're innocent of theft and deception. So far, Dylan Winter hasn't responded directly but he's ticked of 8 of the 12 boxes. That's probably a record.

I will not be answering questions on this posting pending the end of the formal investigation.

Read it, understand it and to those of you to whom this applies, stop drivelling on about matters which you don't understand and of which you have no experience.

Thanks for all the laughs, by the way, some of the legal comments were priceless in their ignorance and stupidity.

Alan Mackie

Looks like I nailed it way back in post #23. :)

Richard

197aerial

Visit site
I know that this might sound a bit daft but how does one actually prove that you took or produced the image and therefore own the copyright? I understand that EXIF data may be embedded in the metadata but not all cameras produce this information to the nth degree

That's a good question.

My camera adds the date and time the image was taken to the RAW CR2 files, essentially the digital negatives. Of course, camera clocks can be set to anything you like so that's not always reliable as to time. It also adds copyright basic data, owner, contact details etc as metadata or digital watermarking. All the images are labelled automatically as my copyright.

In the case of old photos I do of course have possession of the negatives of the image and many others taken at the same time. With digital I have possession of the original CR2 data files.

In my case I usually take two or three photos of each subject from each angle so the fact of having a sequence of up to 20 or so photos all of the same subject at the same time (cars parked, cloud patterns, pedestrians in the same places etc) is pretty convincing proof, along with the CR2 files and derivitives, combined of course with evidence under oath, that I took and own the images.

I always offer anyone I'm seeking damages from the opportunity to get their legal people to come here and view the originals. So far only one organisation has taken up that offer. It was a major world-class university who were committing their third infringement over a four year period. They were pretty desperate and hoping against hope that I didn't have proof. I did, as always.

However, the law is a great deal clearer than that. It states that if I have a copyright claim on the page or image then it's up to the defenders (in England, defendants, as in criminal cases) to prove that I DON'T own the copyright. You might wonder how they're going to even try to do that?

The Act. which is Crown copyright, states in part:

104: (2) Where a name purporting to be that of the author appeared on copies of the work as published or on the work when it was made, the person whose name appeared shall be presumed, until the contrary is proved—

(a) to be the author of the work;

The ball is in the thieves' court, basically. They have to prove the contrary to my copyright claim of ownership. Not a chance.

Hope that helps?

A1Sailor

Visit site
this is the only link I can find with reference to a small claims court proceeding in Ayr concerning this bloke

http://www.casecheck.co.uk/mackie-t...hy-v-askew-ayr-sheriff-court-august-2009.html

it was a while ago now

I cannot find any more recent links. Any info gratefully received.
Not more recent, but this might be of interest:
http://www.londonfreelance.org/fl/0706scc.html
It is an unrelated case from 2007. Mr Mackie found one of his images on a website, published without permission and without an acknowledgement of the source, and was awarded £900 damages - reduced to £750 because that is what he had claimed.

Edit: I assume it is "the same Alan Mackie".:p

The full text of the "this bloke" case that Dylan describes above is at https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/judgment?id=019187a6-8980-69d2-b500-ff0000d74aa7
Although it was decided that it was outwith the Court's jurisdiction (it would appear the case would need to be heard in a Court in the district from which the defendent published the website) there is discussion about the points of Scots Law that both parties might use at a subsequent hearing.
This bit of the judgement of SHERIFF PRINCIPAL B A LOCKHART might be relevant:
In his statement of claim the pursuer contends that his copyright in photographs was infringed by the defender's publication of them on the defender's website. I assume that the infringement for which the pursuer sought damages was what he considered to be the infringement by communication to the public which is struck at by virtue of section 20 of the Copyright Act. The potential for communication occurred when the pursuer's photographs were uploaded (if that be the correct term) without permission or licence to the defender's website. Without that having occurred no member of the public could have viewed the photographic images via the internet on the defender's website. Applying first principles it seemed to me that the potential for members of the public to view the photographs by visiting the defender's website would not have occurred but for the posting of the photographs on that website. I therefore concluded that it was the posting of the photographs on the defender's website, equivalent to publication, as opposed to viewing them on that website which was the harmful event. I equiparated this with breach of copyrighted material by publishing it in a book, the harmful event being the publication of the material as opposed to the reading or viewing of it.

I did not find the pursuer's reference to Bonnier Media Ltd v (First) Gregg Lloyd Smith and (Second) Kestrel Trading Corporation particularly helpful. In that case Lord Drummond Young was dealing with a conclusion for interdict relating to infringement of a trademark. It can accordingly be distinguished from the instant case which relates to a claim for damages.

So far as where the harmful event occurred is concerned the defender contended and the pursuer did not dispute that the posting of the photographs to her website occurred in Wemyss Bay, furth of this court's jurisdiction.

My conclusion therefore was that the court had no jurisdiction to consider this small claim. I therefore dismissed it as incompetent.
https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/judgment?id=019187a6-8980-69d2-b500-ff0000d74aa7

Last edited:

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
Genuine question for Mr Mackie as he's here, how come you don't use any watermarks, right click/hotlink protection or exclude your photo's from Google's search results as your photo's are so rightly valuable to you? We had some family photo's taken the other week and the photographer sent us a link and all of the above had been used. I know it doesn't change the fact they're your photos but it may stop you having to go through legal action every time you find someone stealing your work.

claymore

Visit site
This is posted by Alan Mackie.

Some of you people need to get a few facts straight before you make even bigger fools of yourselves.

As the actions of Dylan Winter are currently under investigation by various Trading Standards officers I cannot at this time say too much, but ask yourself this question. Would Trading Standards by investigating Dylan Winter on my behalf in respect of potentially criminal copyright infringement (S.107 of the CDPA 1988) if there was any doubt at all about my integrity or honesty?

So, here are a few simple facts with added opinions. Don't argue with the facts, the law of defamation would not be with you.

1: Dylan Winter has NOT been sent a claim for damages for £450 or any other amount.

He has been sent a Cease & Desist notice to which he has not yet made any comment. Depending on his reaction and response to my letter (and so far he's acting like a 5-year-old, stamping his likkle foot and crying for his mummy) I will then determine what my next step might be.

So far, no sign of any “lawyer's” letter which is a shame because in the circumstances below I'm really looking forward to it. I like fiction.

2: He is running a successful commercial website which seems to be making him a fair amount of money according to his own words at: http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/11/columns/guest/winter/index.htm

3: This is a very important point and is the main issue at hand.

Dylan Winter is claiming on his website on every page and on the page on which my image appeared that he OWNS the material on his website.

He states “© Keep Turning Left” - his trading name - in VERY small letters right at the bottom of every page. Almost like he's trying to hide it?

This means that he is claiming to OWN my property - and that of all the other images he's still hot-linking to all over his site.

How would YOU feel if that happened to you? Someone comes along, takes an image of yours without asking, uses it to promote his business and then has the brass neck to claim to OWN the property he's nicked? In my view this guy is a really nasty piece of work – a serial thief.

You'll notice that Dylan Winter has made no mention of that point - made very clear to him - in any of his postings.

What he is doing here is attempting to use the law - which I suggest he knows and understands fully - to protect his work from being stolen by labeiing it as copyrighted while AT THE SAME TIME stealing from other websites.

In my view that's blatanlty corrupt and dishonest. He wants it both ways. He claims protection but he wants to be allowed to steal freely from others. Does that impress you or do you share my view that it clearly labels him as a (... edited for language). What do you think a court would think of his actions, either civil or criminal?

4: Winter, as a self-styled long-term journalist and book publisher can be fairly expected to understand that putting a copyright claim on a page of a website is an extraordinarily stupid thing to do if the material isn't your own. Not to mention, in my view, grossly arrogant. I wonder if he owns or created ANY of the material he claims authorship of.

5: His website domain name is registered to a phony address (remember, he's running a business and MUST display an accurate trading address in the domain registry) and that is being investigated by Nominet UK Ltd. There are many regulations regarding the use of a domain name and Dylan Winter is breaching a great many of them. If the information isn't corrected the site may be taken out of the registry – it wouldn't be the first domain that happened to.

In passing, my own website does not sell directly to the public and so my address need not be on the site, though of course it's not a secret as my domain name is correctly registered and always has been.

Once Dylan Winter can find the moral courage to respond to my letter rather than whinge in forums and blogs about how hard I'm being to him (I repeat - he has NOT been asked for ANY money) and he states his case (an apology would be nice – stop laughing at the back!) I will then decide what further action to take. To be frank, I'm not in a very good mood over this guy's behaviour.

That of course will also be dependent on the outcome of my formal complaint to Trading Standards, though I doubt very much that he'll be charged – prosecution funds are short and this is small case. The usual response from T.S is that if the civil matter is settled they won't interfere further.

In passing, as you may know, I've dealt with these kind of cases over many years and with characters like Dylan Winter just as often. I joke with my legal advisors that I have a printed list of lies and false claims that will be made by offenders trying to pretend they're innocent of theft and deception. So far, Dylan Winter hasn't responded directly but he's ticked of 8 of the 12 boxes. That's probably a record.

I will not be answering questions on this posting pending the end of the formal investigation.

Read it, understand it and to those of you to whom this applies, stop drivelling on about matters which you don't understand and of which you have no experience.

Thanks for all the laughs, by the way, some of the legal comments were priceless in their ignorance and stupidity.

Alan Mackie

... who never swears an oath
Patronising twerp

[163233]

Visit site
I actually have some sympathy for Mr Mackie, he's only trying to sell his photos.

He has been sent a Cease & Desist notice to which he has not yet made any comment.
Mr Winter has said here that he has ceased and desisted though. Presumably that aspect is resolved to your satisfaction?

...images he's still hot-linking to all over his site.
This is a little more problematic, the law isn't clear on hot-links.

See:- http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/...-act-of-copyright-infringement-says-uk-judge/

Government guidance is also on Mr Winter's side:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...e-digital-images-photographs-and-the-internet
(Top of page 5)
I want to link to images I found online

Sharing or posting a simple web link to pages where
images have been posted publicly online by the
copyright owner is usually not restricted by copyright.
The Court of Justice of the European Union has ruled
that internet users should be free to share links to
material, for example photos or videos, providing
the material itself has been published online with the
permission of the rights holder. The right to share links
however does not go as far as allowing users to share
links that are designed to circumvent paywalls or other
subscription only services.
Copying images and then hosting them on another
website however will usually amount to copyright
infringement. You should ask permission from the
copyright owner before using images in this way.

As I understand it, and as you have just said, these are inline links to image published publicly on your site, and you could have changed or removed the images at any time.

That said, I do think it's pretty rude of Mr Winter to link to someone's site in this way without getting permission first.

197aerial

Visit site
This bit of the judgement of SHERIFF PRINCIPAL B A LOCKHART might be relevant:

What you're quoting is the opinion of the Sheriff, stating his views, which I appealed against.

The Sheriff Principal sitting as the Appeal Court was of the opinion:

"I take the view that, when the defender uploaded the pursuer's photographs on her website in Wemyss Bay, she was at that time potentially committing a delict anywhere that the defender's website could be seen. She was accordingly at that time potentially committing a delict within the jurisdiction of Ayr Sheriff Court, and in fact did do so when her website was viewed there by various people including the pursuer."

The exact opposite of your ill-informed and mis-quoted posting.

This case is now quoted in legal textbooks. Look it up. If I sue you or anyone else, they have to come to Ayr to answer before a court. In point of fact, I could also bring the case in Glasgow or Aberdeen or St Ives because all of those locations are on the web. "anywhere that the defender's website could be seen."

Lon nan Gruagach

Visit site
Government guidance is also on Mr Winter's side:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...e-digital-images-photographs-and-the-internet
(Top of page 5)
I want to link to images I found online

Sharing or posting a simple web link to pages where
images have been posted publicly online by the
copyright owner is usually not restricted by copyright.
The Court of Justice of the European Union has ruled
that internet users should be free to share links to
material, for example photos or videos, providing
the material itself has been published online with the
permission of the rights holder. The right to share links
however does not go as far as allowing users to share
links that are designed to circumvent paywalls or other
subscription only services.
Copying images and then hosting them on another
website however will usually amount to copyright
infringement. You should ask permission from the
copyright owner before using images in this way.
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...been-Alan-Mackie-d/page20#B3u4BZGJSGz56ETb.99

As I understand it, and as you have just said, these are inline links to image published publicly on your site, and you could have changed or removed the images at any time.

That said, I do think it's pretty rude of Mr Winter to link to someone's site in this way without getting permission first.

The paragraph you refer to does not reference hot-linking, but plain html <a href=URL></a> tags. Hot-linking is the method for including the graphic content on a page without hosting the file on the same server.
Way back in this thread hot-linking is covered and is not considered breach of copyright. It is, however, rude if such action has been forbidden by the copyright holder.

A1Sailor

Visit site
What you're quoting is the opinion of the Sheriff, stating his views, which I appealed against.

The Sheriff Principal sitting as the Appeal Court was of the opinion:

"I take the view that, when the defender uploaded the pursuer's photographs on her website in Wemyss Bay, she was at that time potentially committing a delict anywhere that the defender's website could be seen. She was accordingly at that time potentially committing a delict within the jurisdiction of Ayr Sheriff Court, and in fact did do so when her website was viewed there by various people including the pursuer."

The exact opposite of your ill-informed and mis-quoted posting.

This case is now quoted in legal textbooks. Look it up. If I sue you or anyone else, they have to come to Ayr to answer before a court. In point of fact, I could also bring the case in Glasgow or Aberdeen or St Ives because all of those locations are on the web. "anywhere that the defender's website could be seen."
By whom has my posting been mis-quoted?:confused:
Might you post a link to the appeal case? Thank you for your help.

Edit: I think I've maybe found the text of the appeal hearing - the one about "jurisdiction".
While this provision certainly allows the pursuer to prove his proprietary rights in the photographs within the jurisdiction of Ayr Sheriff Court, this is not an action which has been brought for the sole purpose of declaring or determining these rights in the photographs. It is his right to claim damages based on delict that is the essential basis of the pursuer's action. As I have already said, I am of the view that Ayr Sheriff Court has jurisdiction to deal with this action based on para 2(c). As part of his case, the pursuer will require to prove that he does have proprietary rights in the photographs said to have been used by the defender.

33. In the whole circumstances I shall allow the appeal and answer the question posed in the sheriff's stated case namely "Did I err in dismissing the claim for want of jurisdiction?" in the affirmative. I shall remit the cause to the sheriff to fix a full hearing. I make no finding of expenses in respect of the appeal procedure.
https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/judgment?id=019187a6-8980-69d2-b500-ff0000d74aa7
What happened at the susequent full hearing? Did you make any money?

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Way back in this thread hot-linking is covered and is not considered breach of copyright.

According to a student from Southampton Solent University. I don't think it is quite as clear cut as he thinks. As I wrote, The Shetland Times vs The Shetland News is the go-to case in Scots law, and it's perhaps a shame that it was settled out of court.

In any case sticking (c) Keep Turning Left on a page containing other people's IP probably isn't a good idea.

JumbleDuck

Visit site

In the English system, Small Claims cases are automatically transferred to the defendant's nearest court, so it doesn't matter where the action is brought. Is that not the case in Scotland?

197aerial

Visit site
I actually have some sympathy for Mr Mackie, he's only trying to sell his photos.

Mr Winter has said here that he has ceased and desisted though. Presumably that aspect is resolved to your satisfaction?

Not a presumption it's safe to make. He has deliberately re-posted the image in this forum. So he has most definitely NOT ceased or desisted.

197aerial

Visit site
In the English system, Small Claims cases are automatically transferred to the defendant's nearest court, so it doesn't matter where the action is brought. Is that not the case in Scotland?

It's more complex than that, as the law tends to be.

My understanding is that In English Small Claims any copyright cases (and they are the only ones I have knowledge of) are transferred to the IP court in London, regardless of where the parties are located. I believe you are correct in respect of other cases but I don't have any direct knowledge.

In general, the rule in Scotland is that the case is brought in the court nearest the defender. However, thanks to the appeal case that I fought and won, in copyright actions the case can be brought in the court nearest to where the harm is done. In my case, Ayr. In one case I found the theft when I was browsing the web in Glasgow so presumably that case can be brought there if I choose. As I said, it's complex. If I sue in Ayr and give evidence it was found in Glasgow, they'll object to waste time and if I sue in Glasgow, etc etc.

The law on this is The Civil Jurisdiction and Judgments Order 2001 ( http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/3929/contents/made ) Schedule 8, 2 (c) as amended by The Civil Jurisdiction and Judgments Regulations 2007 ( http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/1655/contents/made ).

Have fun working through it. The key text (edited heavily for clarity) is:

(In Scotland) ... a person may also be sued ... in matters relating to delict or quasi-delict, in the courts for the place where the harmful event occurred or may occur;

I own the copyright, I would argue that I have been harmed by the illegal use of my property, I live within Ayr Sheriff Court jurisdiction therefore they come to me to defend.

A copyright infringement is a delict in legal terms. (I think it comes from dereliction of duty or something similar in Latin.)

I hope that helps?

Last edited:

197aerial

Visit site
What happened at the susequent full hearing? Did you make any money?

I won the case, certainly. Did I make any money, bearing in mind the effort and costs? No, I didn't.

But I did win an important legal precedent which has saved me and many others a great deal of money since then.

I think of it as a succcess, rather than as a financial gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.