I could almost get into this day sailing lark

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Before responding people should

Read the thread title.

Read the comment

Watch the video

It is about an unbelievably stylish boat ( post comment) with limited use and even appeal ( thread title)

At £185K it isn't cheap but as DDB says there will be those that can afford it for the pleasure of a few days or even hours a year, it may end up as he says or it may end up cosseted for the greater part of it and its owners life. But boy would I like to spend a few hours sailing it wearing my white 'ducks' and double breasted blazer 😁 then bringing it alongside and handing it over to my man, Poignard are you there!😁

flaming

Visit site
Before responding people should

Read the thread title.

Read the comment

Watch the video

It is about an unbelievably stylish boat ( post comment) with limited use and even appeal ( thread title)

At £185K it isn't cheap but as DDB says there will be those that can afford it for the pleasure of a few days or even hours a year, it may end up as he says or it may end up cosseted for the greater part of it and its owners life. But boy would I like to spend a few hours sailing it wearing my white 'ducks' and double breasted blazer 😁 then bringing it alongside and handing it over to my man, Poignard are you there!😁
I would hazard a guess that most of the owners of this type of boat are not in the UK, and then probably this is not their only boat.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I would hazard a guess that most of the owners of this type of boat are not in the UK, and then probably this is not their only boat.
Yes I could easily see it as an American boat, Chesapeake or Long Island for the summer. However it would be equally at home in the West Country or Brittany or even the Med as it's perfectly capable of making the short hops from one interesting port to another with the owner eating out and either sleeping ashore or "roughing" it on board but more likely the former.

srm

Visit site
Cruising boats used to look like the OP. I assume its 44 ft on deck.
My McGruer designed 8 metre cruiser/racer (original design back in the 50's) looked very similar only with a long low coachroof. 42 ft on deck, 30ft waterline (she was overweight) and 10ft beam. Standing headroom below. My cruising with it extended down to the south coast of England and up to north of the Arctic Circle.

dunedin

Visit site
Yes I could easily see it as an American boat, Chesapeake or Long Island for the summer. However it would be equally at home in the West Country or Brittany or even the Med as it's perfectly capable of making the short hops from one interesting port to another with the owner eating out and either sleeping ashore or "roughing" it on board but more likely the former.
Lots of options for the day sailor for the rich, with many coming from Holland and France. It is possible to have a classic look with longer waterline length (after all, most traditional boats had plumb bows before the racing rules fad for long overhangs), which gives faster and perhaps more sailing fun.
See Yachting World here - Dream daysailers: 13 of the best boats for a great day out on the water
At risk of thread drift, electric propulsion almost essential now for your fashion statement dayboat.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Jesus Christ for the hard of thinking and reading it's not about finding the best day sailor, it's about one in particular.
Like conversations, threads evolve, that is what makes forums interesting. This was not someone asking a specific question about some matter that a solution was required. You have made the original post but you do not own the thread.
"Yup nice poncy boat", "By the way, what about......."
. Perhaps other found more interest by following the evolution of the thread- Live with it. ;)

Neil

Visit site
The point is that most of those listed in the posts above (like my own Squib) spend a proportion of their time racing. In all the years I have owned the Squib, neither I, nor my daughter, have been for a "cruise" in it. We did have a fleet of 19 at our club, I am not aware of any going for a simple sail around. Other than at the start or between races. Racing gives a purpose to their sailing when sailing on the same stretch of water all the time.

With a thing such as that in the OP's post there is not much opportunity for class racing.
So, yes, to each his own. But at a different level, I can point to quite a few dinghies in our club that the owners had bought just to "potter". Most get used very rarely after the first "thrill", if not raced & end up becoming - shall we say- "Uncared for".

Now I am nor suggesting that the boat in question will become such. However, once the first few sailing days have passed, that boat will spend its time tied to a pontoon, with passers by admiring it. Then it will end up in a cradle in the yard somewhere with a "for sale" sign on it, at a value far below its cost.
That is the way of wealthy people who do not have to worry about their whims costing money.
This ignores the substantial dingy cruising fraternity. I intend to delve into this once I've learned the ropes of my new boat (Bayraider Expedition)

PhillM

Visit site
I tried the keel boat thing. Ended up camping on her as didn’t really get into the racing. Moved on. Sailing to new and interesting (or even old and still interesting) places is my thing. I know that for sure now.

johnalison

Visit site
I think that it is important that we don’t let envy get in the way of a balanced discussion of this boat. It is a rich man’s toy, by most people’s standards, but that doesn’t make it bad, any more than a Porsche or a polo pony. I could afford to buy one, but I couldn’t justify writing off a large part of my potential nursing home fees. As for day sailing, this is what I have mostly done in the last few years, since my wife started getting health problems. In fact, I went for a day sail today. For me, it was enjoyable, if ultimately unsatisfying when compared to past mini-voyages. I can’t put myself into the mind of someone who has never known anything better but I can imagine that it could give a lot of harmless pleasure to some wealthy folk, who may have modest sailing ambitions or skills, or who may, like me, be downgrading their sailing.

Daydream believer

Visit site
This ignores the substantial dingy cruising fraternity. I intend to delve into this once I've learned the ropes of my new boat (Bayraider Expedition)
Interesting to read one of the first paragraphs of a review of the Bay Raider, which reads:-

"The BayRaider’s genesis is the “raid,” a popular pastime in Europe where small boats are sailed and rowed competitively between harbors in events lasting several days. Speed under sail, light weight for easy rowing and the ability to stand up to foul weather are obviously desirable in such contests, and so designer/builder Matt Newland developed a series of unsinkable boats to meet those criteria".

That is hardly sailing the same stretch of water aimlessly, for day after single day, going nowhere in particular, is it? Which was the original point I was making about the Op's submission for a day sailor.
But of course you may enjoy that & to each his own. The Bay Raider was even built with competition in mind. Perhaps the designer knew the market very well & realised that he needed a boat that served that additional interest.

But having sailed on the River Blackwater for 66 years, I can say that as good a sailing area it is, it no longer holds its thrill, just for the sailing alone. Great for learning, but even that became less interesting, once one had the basics established.

srm

Visit site
Nothing wrong with day sailing, I used to do it a lot in Scapa Flow during the short winter days and made a point of at least one day out over Christmas/New Year. Then during the summer headed much further afield for a few weeks with the same boat.

I enjoyed my days out, often ghosting back to the marina in the dark, just as much as the cruises.

DownWest

Visit site
The DCA come down here from time to time. Event planned for early Sept, wandering around the Seudre Estuary and the Isl d'Oleron, mix of locals and UK boats. I expect Roger Barnes will post a vid on u-tube.
Talking of daysailers, I was parking a friend's mobo in a storage area and next in the row was a mini keel boat in the style of a 12 meter. Single place, wheel helm and might have been aimed at disabled use. About 13ft long. plumb bow and bulb lifting keel.

Last edited: