I could almost get into this day sailing lark

flaming

Visit site
Soon get bored of that, I would suspect. Cannot actually go anywhere & sailing around the same place all the time is not exactly exciting is it. Plus one cannot stand up to boil a cuppa, so it is not even practical.
Depends on what draws you to the water. Some people get more excited by the voyaging, the going new places and the sailing is just something you have to do to enable that. Some people are more excited just by the act of sailing itself, and aren't too bothered about actually going anywhere. Most people probably lie somewhere on a scale from one to the other.
Factor in some lifestyle time restrictions and I can definitely see that this boat, and the many, many similar examples available, would appeal.

capnsensible

Visit site
Soon get bored of that, I would suspect. Cannot actually go anywhere & sailing around the same place all the time is not exactly exciting is it. Plus one cannot stand up to boil a cuppa, so it is not even practical.
Isn't it great how there are so many ways that people can enjoy being out on the water without being locked into some rigid rule of what must be done.

rotrax

Visit site
I overheard a conversation on our pontoon between a new bertholder who had a scruffy open boat, an 18 footer for net fishing previously launched off the beach by the old owner. He was apologising for putting a boat among the others that was perhaps 'not up to the cosmetic standard' of the others.

The bertholder he was speaking with said "Dont worry mate, it gets you on the water. Being on and enjoying the water is what its all about."

A lot of sense there.

Minerva

Visit site
Many years ago, I got a shot in a Soling 27ft keelboat - to this day, I think it was the sweetest sailing boat I've ever helmed. If I had a deepwater harbour within a short drive of my house, I would buy one in an instant. Alas all the harbours near home are drying...

It was absolutely perfect for an after work, sunset mid week sail. I can definitely se the appeal.

Would be useless for spending the summer 3 week cruise on though!

Daydream believer

Visit site
Isn't it great how there are so many ways that people can enjoy being out on the water without being locked into some rigid rule of what must be done.
The point is that most of those listed in the posts above (like my own Squib) spend a proportion of their time racing. In all the years I have owned the Squib, neither I, nor my daughter, have been for a "cruise" in it. We did have a fleet of 19 at our club, I am not aware of any going for a simple sail around. Other than at the start or between races. Racing gives a purpose to their sailing when sailing on the same stretch of water all the time.

With a thing such as that in the OP's post there is not much opportunity for class racing.
So, yes, to each his own. But at a different level, I can point to quite a few dinghies in our club that the owners had bought just to "potter". Most get used very rarely after the first "thrill", if not raced & end up becoming - shall we say- "Uncared for".

Now I am nor suggesting that the boat in question will become such. However, once the first few sailing days have passed, that boat will spend its time tied to a pontoon, with passers by admiring it. Then it will end up in a cradle in the yard somewhere with a "for sale" sign on it, at a value far below its cost.
That is the way of wealthy people who do not have to worry about their whims costing money.