I could almost get into this day sailing lark

Neeves

Visit site
There are a lot of Etchells, Dragons etc, some being bought from new, today, that are possibly a bit cheaper, but that are 'day sailors'. They enjoy competitive class racing - but also handicap racing. You would not overnight in a Dragon nor Etchells but there are lots of them.

Equally there are lots of 4X4s in big cities.

I can see that such a yacht would have great appeal - it does not pretend to be anything but a 'sailing machine'. Its not a floating caravan and should have a turn of speed to excite. You will also soon find out if you know 'how to sail'.

I look at modern racing yachts, choose any you like, you would not cruise them, they need a decent, number of, competent, crew. They are day sailors, except the occasional passage race, Sydney to Hobart - the difference is a Hobart yacht costs much, much more. The yacht featured is no different to Wild Oates (and a lot of others), but cheaper.

I'd love one.

Jonathan

srm

Visit site
You would not overnight in a Dragon
Originally designed by Johan Anker in 1929 for the Royal Gothenburgh Yach Club as a cheap cruising/racing boat. There was basic accommodation under the coach roof and fore deck.
I have seen similar boats cruising in the Baltic.

Neeves

Visit site
Originally designed by Johan Anker in 1929 for the Royal Gothenburgh Yach Club as a cheap cruising/racing boat. There was basic accommodation under the coach roof and fore deck.
I have seen similar boats cruising in the Baltic.
We used to 'cruise' in a J24, it was just like camping in the 1960s in a small 2 person tent. Anything is possible when you are young, keen and possibly impoverished (and you would meet the criteria for the latter having bought the subject of the thread - :) and scheduled the payments for 'housing' her - dry sail?)

I've never sailed a Dragon but have an Etchells - they are desperately complex, you need to be really good to sail them well.

Jonathan

boomerangben

Visit site
She is a stunningly beautiful boat in my eyes (apart from, for some reason, I don’t like the wheel - perhaps it is too big in my eyes). I would have one, but only if I could afford another more cruising oriented vessel. Then it comes in to what cycling enthusiasts call the n+1 syndrome - there is no one boat that does it all so if you love different aspects of sailing, you need more than one boat

srm

Visit site
I've never sailed a Dragon but have an Etchells - they are desperately complex, you need to be really good to sail them well.
Having, way back in the early 70's, seen an early wooden cruising Dragon the cabin top was larger than the current cuddy and the sail handling gear fairly basic. It was a very different boat internally to the modern racing machines.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
We have an open keelboat, have never cruised it, or even left the mooring apart from to race or practice. We do day sail the Dragonfly a fair bit. The speed gives us a bit more range for that, and the shallow draught and drying ability makes her a good beach picnic boat. A new Dragonfly is about the same price as that boat in the OP. But has 5 berths and fully set up for cruising, and many do. However, like this forum, turning up at the NYYC in a Dragonfly, and walking to the bar, it would be no surprise to be directed to the tradesman’s entrance. Whereas you’d get an admiring crowd around the keelboat, gasping at the quality of your bright work. We too could own such a boat, we just chose something even more divisive🤣

Stemar

Visit site
I still don't want a keelboat, but I love the fact that there are so many different types of boat for so many different types of sailing, from out and out racing with foiling craft in all sizes, to Centaurs and the like for "small budget" Mum & Dad cruising - or is that more likely to be Grandma & Grandad these days? Even stinkpotters suit some people.

Fair winds to you all, whatever, however and wherever you sail.

johnalison

Visit site
If I wanted to play at mini J class, or at least 12 metre, I could have some fun in an Illusion, that a friend nice had, safely inland.

The Q

Visit site
There was a mini j produced around 1984 on the Isle of Wight, only 12ft on the water line, but over 20ft on deck.
Iirc 22 were built.

1688037540841.png

The Q

Visit site
Actually it was 50knots at the nearest weather station, however, the lunatic was sailing inside Bembridge harbour, so down at water level, no not 50knots, up at the tip of the sail as the wind came over the harbour walls, probably.