Hydrovane Sadler 29

Jackattack92

Visit site
Hi all,

I recently purchased a hydrovane on a bit of a whim as someone was selling it for a reasonable price.

When I picked it up though I was surprised at just how big it was.

My boat is a sadler 29.

Has anyone had any experience installing one of these or something similar to their boat? Could this piece of equipment damage my boat?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jack

Poey50

Visit site
`i wrote a reply to this on the Sadler and Starlight Owners Association website earlier this evening.

Last edited:

Poey50

Visit site
Someone on the Facebook group Yachts and Yacht Bits For Sale (Europe) is looking to buy one if you decide to sell.

Kelpie

Visit site
The Hydrovane people are very helpful and may be able to give you advice on similar installations.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I recently purchased a hydrovane on a bit of a whim as someone was selling it for a reasonable price.
Hello

An interesting purchase on a whim! I've spent two years looking at different wind vanes and at the Southampton Boat Show 2019 ordered a Hydrovane.

The technical assistance from Hydrovane has been outstanding, we have looked carefully at sizing the kit appropriately for the boat, a Gib'Sea 96 in my case (10.1 meters or 33 feet in old money).

I'm not planing to install the kit until next spring, ask me then how the installation went. Hydrovane do some good YouTube things on installation.

Jackattack92

Visit site
Thanks for everyone’s input. I’ll see what the manufacturer says but it is looking like this would not be the best fit for my boat sadly.

Much appreciated ��

Kelpie

Visit site
It can be slightly harder to fit a windvane to a boat like yours with a transom hung rudder. One of the advantages of the Hydorvane is that it seems to cope well with off-centre mounting. Yes they are heavy but so are liferafts are people don't think twice about plonking one of those on the rail.

RJJ

Visit site
If it's an outsize one for you...I might be interested in taking it off your hands. Would like one for my 44foot but put off by the price as-new.

Do you know the specs?

G12

Visit site
I have one on a Vancouver 28. It's fine! It spends most of it's life on the lowest setting and steers incredibly well. You must balance the boat for it to work well of course, same as any vane.

PhillM

Visit site
Must admit I think it’s a bit large and heavy. A Seafeather might be a better vane for you. You could easily sell the Hydrovane, buy a new Seafeather and still have change. No problem with a Seafeather and a transom hung rudder.

RJJ

Visit site
Thanks Jackattack that would be great. So technical am I that I haven't worked out PMs yet, but I look forward to hearing from you.

Poey50

Visit site
Must admit I think it’s a bit large and heavy. A Seafeather might be a better vane for you. You could easily sell the Hydrovane, buy a new Seafeather and still have change. No problem with a Seafeather and a transom hung rudder.

+1