Hydro-Electric Station at Romney

Jaysay

Visit site
I have just passed the construction site below Romney Lock where they are preparing the above work, and two of the Archimedes Screw turbines are visible on Home Park, awaiting installation. Quite a sight! They must be about 2 or 3 metres in diameter and about 6 metres long.
Worth a visit if you live near there.

the_wanderer

Visit site
Why not at every lock?

The question of electricity generation at the weirs on the Thames has puzzled me for years. Why not? I say. Obviously during the Summer when the flow can be low they could be shut down and during the winter would provide a valuable source of energy when energy is needed. I can envisage problems with weed but the archemedes screw could probably handle weed.

Romney seems to be an interesting experiment. Well done HRH! I will follow this with interest.

Regards.

Alan.

david_bagshaw

Visit site
The question of electricity generation at the weirs on the Thames has puzzled me for years. Why not? I say. Obviously during the Summer when the flow can be low they could be shut down and during the winter would provide a valuable source of energy when energy is needed. I can envisage problems with weed but the archemedes screw could probably handle weed.

Romney seems to be an interesting experiment. Well done HRH! I will follow this with interest.

Regards.

Alan.

wont the problem in the winter flood be there will be too little difference in head between the upper & lower levels.

After all when a weir is fully drawn, there is not such a drop,as when it is fully in. It will probably work best before flood conditions.

Jaysay

Visit site
As I understand it, there is a 2m head and the turbines are expected to generate about 200kW - not very much in National Grid terms or when one considers the physical size of the turbines, but enough for a third of the needs of Windsor Castle.
I have often thought that it is a pity we do not utilise the Thames flow more, especially when we have a strong stream. This seems a good start and a good example, though heaven knows how long it will take to pay for itself.