HW tonight

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
This is what the marina sensors showed this evening. Belfield predicted HW 2110 14.3m and that is exactly what happened.

(NB Time shows UCT+1, and there are 2 sensors in each area, using different methods of measurement. The height is the average of each. You can see where the outer gates were opened to fill the lock from seaward, and there is also an unusual kink in the graph just before that. )

HW.jpg

NickiCrutchfield

Visit site
A whole different order of magnitude Damo. The bay was FULL. Stuffed to the gills. Waves ricocheting all over the place. Survival upon immersion would be highly marginal. Just consuming energy everywhere. Fantastic.
Nicki

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
I was in Pembrokeshire once (not far from the blowhole in the other thread!), conditions not quite as bad as today perhaps, but the sea was white and there was solid water coming over the top of 140' cliffs. Obviously too much for climbing so we went caving instead (there is a very pretty cave just below the clifftop in Hollow Caves Bay). Every time a wave hit, the air sucked in and out of the cave, and we could feel the rock tremble. Amazing how the cliffs last so long really!

NickiCrutchfield

Visit site
I like the adaptability you display. I've not managed to conquer my fear of climbing and caving. I understand it, literally and philosophically, but, like my inability to control my fear of surfing, it scares the pants off me. I don't quite know why a 6' breaking swell 100 yds offshore in daylight is less scary than a F9 100 miles offshore at night, but it is. I do, however, like the idea of my hair being blown first up then down by swell entering a cave below me. Fab. Did the cave whistle?
Nicki

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
I'm a cr*p swimmer, so your boat-saving exploit had my jaw dropping /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I guess I was always an "adrenaline junky" until the bones started creaking too much, but it has always amazed me that I have done so much around water!

Unless you are seriously phobic, I bet I could show you an enjoyable climbing or caving experience. I instruct quite a lot on leadership/management development courses, and the "customers" usually profess to a big fear. I usually turns out that the fear is in the anticipation, not the actuality (hence why it is used as a learning vehicle). Ladders are waaay more scary and dangerous!!

The cave didn't whistle BTW /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Have you seen the sideways blowhole in Boscastle harbour? When the tide and swell is right it rushes out, and you can canoe right up to it and surf backwards with a face full of spray /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NickiCrutchfield

Visit site
Interesting. See I've honestly never been an adrenalin junky. I just find myself in situations which so far, have been manageable.
I not phobic about climbing or caving, just averse. I think one of the genuinely most beautiful sports is free climbing. If I was a climber that is what I would aspire to. It's that commitment when they jump to make the next hand hold.
I know the blow hole you are on about at Boscastle. it is a very fine sight. Never canoed it though. There is another strange place at Prussia Cove, near Rosudgeon where there is an open blow hole. you can surge in, swimming with a snorkel and mast, and get blasted up vertically about 10 feet and then dropped down again. it takes the right state of tide to not get dumped too hard on the ground as the wave recedes, but it is great fun.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
The Prussia Cove one sounds good! The coast between Barafundle and Stackpole Quay is a popular place for outdoor groups to go coasteering, with lots of swimming and jumps and through caves. One cave with multiple entrances is good when the tide is right - you can surge up to the roof with the swell, and dive out through a hole where the sunlight comes in.

I have taken my kids along there twice (beautiful anchorage BTW), and after the first time (8 and 12 yrs) they said "It's the funnest thing we have ever done!" And that is two kids who have been to Disney in Florida a couple of times /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lundy has some fantastic coasteering, but it can be quite serious on the west coast - there are long stretches before you can get out onto easy ground. There are two very long through caves through headlands if you want to take shortcuts, and being a strong swimmer is a help! The east side is excellent and safe, and there are usually lots of seals for company in the summer.

LizzyD

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm on call again tonight and we've had warnings of severe weather from Fire Control as usual. Just taken a call from a mate who says that Lizzy's dodgers have worked loose and are flapping in the wind. Bev's just doing the tea dishes and we're off down there to remove them. Glad the boat's on a club pontoon and not out on the trots. If it was, I'd probably just have to stand the loss of the dodgers.

Take care everyone and be carefull if you're venturing out on the road.

Mike