Hurth G Box Engaging Forward from Reverse

sailor211

Visit site
On occasions I have difficulty going from reverse to forward with my 30 year old Hurth Gearbox.

The problem has been most concerning when the box is cold and I have reversed out and what to stop!! So i have a cold box, flow over prop at say 2 knots , feathering darglow prop. Gearbox goes from reverse to into neutral but not forward. Engine rev's. Try again slowly, no difference, third or 4 try forward engages. (never been in a situation to try going into reverse again)

After this point I can confidently change from forward to reverse and back no problem, with boat stationary or moving in either direction.

Manually engaging the gears at box lever without cable attached is easy and posative. I have adjusted lever to ensure it is pushed well past point of engagement.

ATF oil is topped up

Is this a symptom of a box problem
A worn control cable/gear leaver assembly

I do not want to fit a new cable and find same probelm
Do not want to strip eth box and find no problem

Are spares/replacement availabel at reasonable cost?

Mike

yoda

Visit site
If you engage gears without the cable attached and there is no problem then the issue is with the cable/lever adjustment. If however the problem is the same I would say that you have the start of a problem with the plates inside the gearbox - regretably it just gets worse. I found it cheaper to pick up a new box secondhand rather than repair the old one.

Yoda

sailor211

Visit site
Thanks,

I will have to spend some time playing, to convince myself that the cable is in fact ok. the problem is accessing the control in a real situatiion. made worse as it appears to presents its self only on the first change of the day !!

Given time, It may/will get worse so I will know where the problem lies!!

Tranona

Visit site
If it only does this on the first operation of the day, then put it in and out of gear a couple of times when still tied up in the berth. Then you know it will work when you get going.

Baggy

Visit site
I have similar problem with my hearth gear box

My boat is out of he water.. so can you do the same check.. without the load of water on the prop ?

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I had a similar problem some years ago - I stripped the gearbox and fitted new clutch plates - all spares are available from ASAP Suppliers or you can pay a lot more and get genuine Hurth spares. From memory I replaced all possible wearing parts for under £100 and it worked finre after that.

peteK

Visit site
On occasions I have difficulty going from reverse to forward with my 30 year old Hurth Gearbox.

The problem has been most concerning when the box is cold and I have reversed out and what to stop!! So i have a cold box, flow over prop at say 2 knots , feathering darglow prop. Gearbox goes from reverse to into neutral but not forward. Engine rev's. Try again slowly, no difference, third or 4 try forward engages. (never been in a situation to try going into reverse again)

After this point I can confidently change from forward to reverse and back no problem, with boat stationary or moving in either direction.

Manually engaging the gears at box lever without cable attached is easy and posative. I have adjusted lever to ensure it is pushed well past point of engagement.

ATF oil is topped up

Is this a symptom of a box problem
A worn control cable/gear leaver assembly

I do not want to fit a new cable and find same probelm
Do not want to strip eth box and find no problem

Are spares/replacement availabel at reasonable cost?

Mike[/QUOTE
Ive had similar problem and find changing the gearbox oil cures it.

caiman

Visit site
Seeing as it seems to be the first gear engagment of the day,do you have a throttle/gear contol set up, with a button that you pull out/push in to have 'throttle only' for starting?Could this be partialy sticking?
Cheers