Hurley 24/70 drying out

firstascent

Visit site
I am considering buying a hurley 24/70 as a replacement for my seal 22 that I sail in the bristol channel. The question I need answered is were any bilge keeled versoins made and / or do the fin keel versions dry out ok against a wall. Any assistance would be great

Jamie

<hr width=100% size=1>

warrior40

Visit site
Many Bilge keelers were built. The keels are quite deep too.
Should dry out OK with a Fin, as as far as I recall, the bottom of the keel is fairly flat and has a reasonable length.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gezzer

Visit site
The fin on the Hurley is fairly long by todays standards and the length of the boat, it has a prounounced bulb on the end which is makes the keel fairly wide so drying out against a wall or grid should not present a problem.
Although I have never done it myself.

Mine is a fin keel version and although it's my first boat I am very pleased with it, my sailing friends who know about such things tell me that it is a stiff little boat once it gets over it's initial tenderness due to relative lack of form stability, so I would go for the fin keel version.

<hr width=100% size=1>

firstascent

Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts. I think that I'll have to go for a fin keel as I have yet to find a bilge keeler for sale. Is there anyone out there who has acutally dried out on a semi redular basis? Has anyone tried legs!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

summerwind

Visit site
I had a 24/70 for a few years (An excellent boat) I dried out quite often. No problems at all.

As previous poster says, the bulb on the bottom of the keel gives a wide base on which to sit. The keel is quite long too, so you tend not to sink into sand/mud etc.

Didn't try legs as I had no need. I wonder how you would fit them?

<hr width=100% size=1>

graham

Visit site
There are both twin and fin keel 24/70 s .In the Bristol Channel it all depends on where you go.

If you intend drying out in the various harbours with hard sand the twin keel version will be less hassle.Minehead ,Porlock,Lynmouth, Watermouth, Ilfracombe Knightstone ,Dale ,Mumbles, Tenby and Ferry side are all examples where the bilge keeler will dry out safe and upright on a hard bottom.

If you intend visiting the muddy creeks and rivers of the upper reaches of the channel such as The Brue(Burnham) ,Axe(Weston) ,Rumney, Newport, St Pierre Pill ,Oldbury Pill ,Clevedon Pill etc etc then you will often find it difficult not to dry out on a crazy angle with a bilge keeler.

The keel closest to the river bank hits the mud first then the boat leans away from the bank as the tide drops as the outside keel will be in deeper water. Speaking from experience this can make for a long uncomfortable low water period.

I have sailed the channel for too many years in a variety of boats including a Hurley 24 twin keel.My present boat is a lifting keel,

Theres no such thing as the perfect boat for the Bristol Channel as there is such a variety of places to visit. If you intend sailing in company with other boats its a well to have the same keel configuration as them as they will tend to go to places that suit their keels.

Best of luck with finding a good one. You get a lot of strongly built boat for your money with a Hurley.The fin keel will dry out against a wall or with legs if they are fitted.

<hr width=100% size=1>