Hunter Medina rigging

Highndry

Visit site
I've asked on the Hunter forum with no response, I've emailed the Medina owners group with no response and I emailed Hunter Boats (I am aware that the Medina is before their time) but no-one wants to tell me what the rigging settings should be for my Hunter Medina. I'm looking for both tension and mast rake.

Having replaced the standing rigging on mine over the Winter I have a rigger (with gauge) lined up to finish the job for me whenever I ask but he asked if I knew the settings?

All I've been able to glean from the Hunter Owners Association pages is that similar fractional models should have typical mast rakes as follows : Sonata (22') approx 14", Horizon (26/27') approx 16" and Impala (28') approx 18". There's nothing listed for the Medina.

The Medina is 20' and based on those figures I'd guess that the mast rake should be approx 12". But am I under/over complicating the issue? :confused:

When I sailed her last year (first year) I was always nervous that the rigging was 'baggy' and probably past it's best which is why I changed all the wire.

TimBennet

Visit site
Sonata (22') approx 14",

Sonatas have their lowers set up in-line with the mast, so that it can rock backwards and forwards by a huge amount (in excess of two feet or so). So there is no single figure that would represent the mast rake as it a combination of genoa halyard setting (dyneema adjusted against a set of marks) and mainsheet tension. Your description of the rig being 'baggy' could very well sum up the rig setting for a fast Sonata!

Put a request on the Sonata Owners Forum ( http://www.sonata.org.uk/board/index.php ) as you might find previous 'racy' owners of Medinas who have traded up.

oldhunter

Visit site
The Medina handbook gives the rake of 15" to 18" aft by adjusting the forestay. The upper shrouds should then be tightened until the middle of the mast bends forward about 3" being careful to make sure both shrouds arer screwed up the same amount
The main halyard can be used to check the rake and also to check the mast is upright. Now tighten the lower shrouds equally until the mast is straight sideways and fore and aft. at this point all four shrouds should befairly tight. if not, tighten all four shrouds equally until a good tension is achieved. a very slight forward bow (not more than 1") is permissible when the mast is set up.
That is the instructions more or less word for word from the medina handbook which I have, the class association seems to be defunct.I could copy the handbook if you are interested it has some good hints

Highndry

Visit site
The Medina handbook gives the rake of 15" to 18" aft by adjusting the forestay. The upper shrouds should then be tightened until the middle of the mast bends forward about 3" being careful to make sure both shrouds arer screwed up the same amount
The main halyard can be used to check the rake and also to check the mast is upright. Now tighten the lower shrouds equally until the mast is straight sideways and fore and aft. at this point all four shrouds should befairly tight. if not, tighten all four shrouds equally until a good tension is achieved. a very slight forward bow (not more than 1") is permissible when the mast is set up.
That is the instructions more or less word for word from the medina handbook which I have, the class association seems to be defunct.I could copy the handbook if you are interested it has some good hints

Fantastic, thanks very much. I would love a copy of the handbook if possible, ill drop you a PM.

Highndry

Visit site

Fantastic, thanks very much. I would love a copy of the handbook if possible, ill drop you a PM.

William_H

Visit site
Interesting how much rake the handbook calls for. My own thoughts being that it may be too much. Actually I don't believe mast rake is significant in itself. I would have suggested just a few inches for aesthetic reasons. Mast rake however will control the amount of clearance under the boom which may be important depending on the cut of the mainsail.
If it is anything like my 21fter then the pitch of the whole boat is dictated by the load in the cockpit. By about 8cms at the transom. This of course will give the mast much more rake when sailing than when sitting on a mooring empty.
Regarding the set up of the rigging. I don't believe that overall tension is so critical. I certainly don't subscribe to the idea of staic tensions being 10 to 15 % of max rating of the wire. I think that can be just too much for hull to endure. Even at that tension I think you will still find the lee shrouds go slack.
So what is more important is that the cap shrouds give you a vertical mast (considering side way lean) and the intermediate stays give you a mast that is straight (sideways ) ie when viewing from front. If you have aft swept spreaders then the total tension of the intermediate stays versus the total tension of the cap shrouds should give a little barely discernable bow middle forward. The overall tension of the stays should be firm and not floppy ie a deflection of of 3cms easily achieved with one hand.
Ultimately it is what the mast does under pressure of reasonable heel. It should remain bowed middle forward and straight as viewed from the bow. Slack lee stays is normal.
I think it a myth and waste of money to pay a rigger to set up a small boat(or using tension gauge). But that is just my opinion.
good luck olewill

Force 426

Visit site
Hello Oldhunter, I've
Hello Oldhunter, if possible could you supply a copy of the handbook for a Medina ? Of course, I'll pay for it. Thank you in advance.

oldhunter

Visit site
Sorry I no longer have a copy of the handbook for the medina , It went when I sold the medina and moved to a ranger 245. But I think I might have given the Hunter Association a copy , the Hunter association is quite active and would be well worth joining they have some good archive material.
good luck with your search the medina is a very nice boat.

Force 426

Visit site
Sorry I no longer have a copy of the handbook for the medina , It went when I sold the medina and moved to a ranger 245. But I think I might have given the Hunter Association a copy , the Hunter association is quite active and would be well worth joining they have some good archive material.
good luck with your search the medina is a very nice boat.
Many thanks for your advise. I have recently just joined the Hunter association, I will give them a shout. Great idea for passing the manual on. I'm taking my son to brownsea island and we're staying in the channel for the night.......first time he's on slept in a boat. The Ranger is a lovely boat, enjoy many happy hours out on her.