Hunter Europa

Visit site
What is the difference between the Hunter 19 and the Europa. I believe the differences are small but I would like to know if the one I am looking at is indeed a Europa. For example is there an "E" after the sail number and I notice on pictures I have seen the 19 possibly has a central mast support beam in the cabin but I'm guessing the Europa has two. Also as I am downsizing and not getting any younger I wonder how easy it will be to pick up my swinging mooring then walk forward with it seeing as there are no side decks. Any help appreciated. Peter.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
What is the difference between the Hunter 19 and the Europa. I believe the differences are small but I would like to know if the one I am looking at is indeed a Europa. For example is there an "E" after the sail number and I notice on pictures I have seen the 19 possibly has a central mast support beam in the cabin but I'm guessing the Europa has two. Also as I am downsizing and not getting any younger I wonder how easy it will be to pick up my swinging mooring then walk forward with it seeing as there are no side decks. Any help appreciated. Peter.

I believe that they have the same hull, but a different upper moulding with and extra few inches above the rubbing strip. That gives more room in the cabin and a self-draining cockpit; like the 490 the 19 has a cockpit sole a few inches below the waterline. I think the 19 is prettier but the Europa is a bit more suitable for wilder conditions.

Mariner69

Visit site
What is the difference between the Hunter 19 and the Europa.......................I wonder how easy it will be to pick up my swinging mooring then walk forward with it seeing as there are no side decks. Any help appreciated. Peter.

As said, double roof supports in the cabin for the Europa and draining cockpit.

Surprisingly easy to approach swinging mooring, pick up the connection loop using a boat hook and pop on the single cleat. The boat is relatively light so no large loads on the line. Remarkably stable boats. I gave my old one to the sea cadets as they are so safe to sail and are ideal for fit youngsters.

Plays havoc on the older back for sleeping though but we managed with two adults in the cabin aided by large amounts of alcohol.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I wonder how easy it will be to pick up my swinging mooring then walk forward with it seeing as there are no side decks. Any help appreciated. Peter.

On my 490 (the 19's little sister) I rig a line from bow to cockpit before leaving the mooring. I pick up the mooring at the quarter, clip on my line (carabiner at the end) and throw the whole thing overboard. Before leaving for the shore I go to the foredeck, haul in the strop and put it over the cleat. I am large and the 490 is small, but it's not too horrible to do.

When leaving, by the way, I transfer the loop on the strop to a longish line, both ends of which I take back to the cockpit with the loop just over the bow roller. To let the mooring go I simply release one end of the line and use the other to pull it through the loop, which falls down at the bow. I am thinking of inventing a gadget to to this remote release of the mooring but for now my method works fine.

There is a fairly active Hunter 19 and Europa group on Yahoo, and the Hunter Association runs forums with a low but useful level of activity.

Seajet

Visit site
Ask ' Little Rascal ' of these forums, he has a Europa and is in the Yahoo Owners Association; I get their posts as I knew the chap who set it up, my Anderson 22 is by the same designer as is JumbleDucks' 490, Oliver lee of Burnham.

If you go to the dark blue band near the top of this page, click ' community ' then ' groups ' there is a section dedicated ' The Genius Of Oliver Lee '.

A Hunter 19, Willing Griffin, was sailed across the Atlantic -and the smallest ever entrant - in the 1972 OSTAR by David Blagden; his book ' Very Willing Griffin ' is sought after in Hunter circles but you may be lucky with Abe Books; don't expect it to be cheap.

The Europa looks a lot more modern than the H 19, which has a low, flowing streamlined coachroof and small, narrow height windows in alloy frames.

The Europa has a higher but still streamlined coachroof and dark perspex windows, usually.

The pulpit set back from the prow is standard.

There is a triple keel Europa at my club, a lovely looking boat but she doesn't settle very upright on our soft mud, the side keels are really just short bilge plates so tend to dig in.

Hunter 19's and Europa's are a delight to sail, fast and while not exactly roomy make up for it with seaworthiness & manners.

Last edited:

Little Rascal

Visit site
Pretty much covered the differences.

The 19 has a step in the 'side decks' with a split genoa fairlead track.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3sdmlQjttS8/UHcflKP4kZI/AAAAAAAAHD0/zCviLzcghTs/s320/hunter19.jpg

The Europa has no side deck aft of the cabin top, just a wider coaming on the cockpit.

http://imagenes.cosasdebarcos.com/b...-europa-44731050111670565354685649654569x.jpg

Bear in mind the sails may not be original. This 19 was sold with E sails:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hunter-19...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I wonder how easy it will be to pick up my swinging mooring then walk forward with it seeing as there are no side decks.

I do this occasionally but the fin keel doesn't like going side ways - get side on to any tide and the pull can be significant. Do it Jumbleduck's way (or quickly) and it's ok. That said it's not too dramatic going forward. The cabin roof is low and youre never far away from things to hang on to.

There are 4 active HA members who own 19/Europas in NI.

The current link for the Yahoo group is:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Hunter19/info
But you need to join to see anything.

Last edited:

Trop Cher

Visit site
As has been said, the Europa has a self draining cockpit, which is important if on a swinging mooring.
I had the triple keel version, great fun to sail. :)

Visit site
View attachment 37080 This is the boat I am looking at. Thank you all for your help. This site is a gem as long as you avoid The Lounge! Thanks to Seajet for pointing out the Community link,I never investigated this before. The "picking up the mooring " tips are very helpful too. I joined the yahoo group but find it a bit sparse compared to other groups I have been a member of during the years ie Westerly but I'll just have to make do. Little Gem,on the yahoo group how do you find out members locations etc?

Simonpk

Visit site
"Little Gem,on the yahoo group how do you find out members locations etc?"

It's in there but quite hidden. If you log in, then there's a menu bar showing Conversations, Photos, Events etc. at the end is "More" click on that & a drop down menu appears & then select "Database", click on "Hunting for Hunters" in the window that appears. That will bring up the Hunters & locations.

underdog

Visit site
"This is the boat I am looking at"
That looks like an Europa.
The 19 has a moulding on which the winches sit. When heeled to far this causes water to spray up into the cockpit.

Alan_B

Visit site
image.jpg

It does look like a Europa.

Above is a pic of mine. (Also NI, Lough Neagh Sailing Club)

As said great fun, point very well if your into that sort of thing, stable - we have had the bottom of the window under water by accident :-/ and just a nice wee boat all round. Responsive, as it basically a heavy dinghy with a lid.

I know from seeing ads for this one locally that it has a gimbal stove, if you are removing it please give me a shout ;)

Last edited:

Little Rascal

Visit site
I can get hull speed out of my Yamaha Malta (3.3hp) but rarely use it on more than a trickle for about 3-4knots. The only reason you might want more is perhaps in heavy weather in an emergency? Maybe...? That said when clobbering out of the Deben in 'interesting' conditions in Sept I still used a trickle, slower but less slammy.

Last edited:

Lakesailor

Visit site
If you are older, just make sure that the step up to the coach roof (and the step down) is easy for when you are going forward. I looked at a couple of Europas but got a Foxcub. The Europa cockpit felt a bit narrow to me. The Foxcub, having flatter aft quarters, is faster downwind and can plane. However this may be a disadvantage off shore. I am on a lake.
Also if you do have a bad back, make sure you can stand up straight in the cockpit, without having to lean to avoid the boom. This can be a bit of a trial if you are a bit tender.

Picking up moorings can easily be done from the cockpit. If you have a strop on the mooring buoy with a soft loop on the end, just pop it over a cleat or winch until you are ready to walk it forward.
You shouldn't need more than a 4hp. Even that will rarely see full revs.

Alan_B

Visit site
There is no o/b with the boat. What HP would I need, could I get away with 3 or would 4 be better? Yours Alan seems quite small. I will be using her coastally off Bangor. Peter.

Its a 2hp Suzuki (sp?)

It pushes her along fine at half throttle, any more and you have to increase throttle very slowly or it will just cavitate as the prop spins faster but the boat doesnt move faster. Its perfectly fine for getting to and from the marina at Kinnego. I will change it as some point for a 4hp 2 stroke with gears, when i can find one reasonably priced!!

Alan_B

Visit site
Not sure to be honest. Mine sure as heck isn't finished inside - it's got cushions for the quarter berths and that's it. But your right, the less weight the better for me :)

I may add a stove to mine but it's way down the list. Top priority is a spinnaker :)

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Thanks Alan. Were any of these boats finished inside? I am not bothered really but in photos I have seen most of them are pretty basic, probably comes from their racing pedigree. Peter.

You could buy them as a kit or as a finished product. Kits ones may have anything from bare GRP to a mahogany gentlemen's club inside; finished ones had, I believe, a basic layout of bunks, cooker and maybe toilet.

If you join the "Hunter19" Yahoo group and look in the files section you'll find various the original brochure plus some reviews.