Hunter Europa

tf123321

Visit site
Hi, thinking of getting a fin keel Europa, trying to get ducks in a row re finances and more importantly with my other half wo has other priorites! Sailing area would be East Coast Essex so I would have looked at a "bilge/triple" keel Europa but believe they don't dry flat as the side keels are shorter stubs with a central longer keel. On past boats (bilge/drop keels) I have enjoyed camping on board overnight and drying out, a real pleasure on the drying East Coast. For overnighting/drying with a fin keel Europa would drying legs work, be a practical solution with me on board overnight? Thanks

Rum Run

Visit site
Hi, thinking of getting a fin keel Europa, trying to get ducks in a row re finances and more importantly with my other half wo has other priorites! Sailing area would be East Coast Essex so I would have looked at a "bilge/triple" keel Europa but believe they don't dry flat as the side keels are shorter stubs with a central longer keel. On past boats (bilge/drop keels) I have enjoyed camping on board overnight and drying out, a real pleasure on the drying East Coast. For overnighting/drying with a fin keel Europa would drying legs work, be a practical solution with me on board overnight? Thanks

Welcome to the forum,
I had a Hunter 19 a few years ago, and all the good things said about them are true. However the triple keel version (called a Sandhopper?) is unlikely to sit in mud as nicely as a bilge or lift keeler, and be much slower than the fin version. Also I wouldn't fancy beaching legs on East Coast mud, due to the likelihood of one leg sinking in far enough to tip the boat over. Known hard ground might be different, but you then have to stash the muddy legs in/on the boat afterwards. I carried a decent anchor and sometimes towed a 7' inflatable!
Black Rat.jpg
If your priority is to be able to dry out, bilge / twin keels, or a lifting keel (but beware of stones up the slot (oo-er missus!)) are the thing. There are loads of cheap simple boats about for not much money at the moment.
If you like the sailing ability of the Hunter 19 / Europa, but fancy a boat with lifting keel with a bulb to keep the stones out and protect the hull, and designed by the same person, the Anderson 22 is good ( I have one) of if too big, the Hunter 490.
If finances are an issue, the usual advice is to buy a boat close to where you want to sail, as costs of searching for, then transporting the boat mount up fast. Also, buy the most "ready-to-go" boat you can afford, since all the bits and pieces of a boat cost a lot more than the cost of the whole boat i.e. cost of new bunk cushions for 20' boat cost as much as a second-hand 20' boat.
Good Luck!

PaulR

Home West Sussex, Boat on Mooring in Gosport
Visit site
great timing - I very happily owned a europa (folly) which we based on the east coast and sailed to belgium and back and cruised around east coast- loved her - saw this week on another site a europa for sale for £1000 and did mention to the boss should we have one for a bit of extra fun - firmly told no - not sure if the one you are looking at is the same one but good luck very fun boats to sail

Seajet

Visit site
For info', the ' Sandhopper ' was a drying version of the Squib open dayboat, I think she had a lift keel but have brainfade so not sure right now.

Re the Europa, it's easy to tell the difference; the Hunter 19 has a low, rounded smooth curved coachroof and small windows in alloy frames while the Europa has a touch more angular top - which I happen to think looks better - and much larger looking* smoked perspex angular windows bolted and bonded externally as was the fashion in the late 70's' - mid 80's.

* The Europa's windows look a lot bigger than the actual aperture of course as that style of external bolt on window requires a fair overlap.

There was a triple keel Europa near my mooring for a few years, ' Up Spirits ' - she was very smart but didn't like the indifferent mooring she'd been given, which was part hard, part soft.

In uniformly soft mud I think she'd settle upright or close - and looked a very quick boat to me, the side keels must contribute only tiny drag - still easily able to put the willies up much larger trendier boats !

Have you managed to track down a copy of ' Very Willing Griffin ' by David Blagden yet ?!

This is highly prized and goes for a fair bit of dosh secondhand; the story of David Blagden taking Hunter 19 ' Willing Griffin ' in the 1972 OSTAR transatlantic race; he later went on to host the ITV series ' Plain Sailing ' where Willing Griffin was occasionally shown.

As mentioned, also have a look at the website in my signature, some bargains at the moment; if you PM me I'd be happy to discuss the Anderson 22, but if your heart is set on a 19 footer I'd go for the Europa.

Good luck, and whatever you do, get an Oliver Lee design, nothing handles like them !

You're welcome for a go on my A22 after she launches in 6 weeks time.

Andy

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
Bilge keels, still sailed on the Blackwater... Blue sails as compared with the Squib orange

Gladys,

so the Sandhopper was basically triple keel like Europa's; I think there was one at our club in Chichester Harbour a while ago.

I PM'd the OP a fair bit of info', but it seems the courtesy of acknowledgement is too much to ask nowadays...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Kirkers

Visit site
Hello

I have just purchased a half share of a Hunter Europa to sail on some Scottish Lochs and then will try the West Coast.

I was hoping someone could help me with a question about the spinnaker, the other owner has never used it and we are unsure where to add the block for the extra halaird.

And I was also wondering what size the pole should be, as it's missing, plus where it clips to the mast, we don't seem to have any connections.

Thanks in advance and Hello to all :)

cirruss

Visit site
Not sure to be honest. Mine sure as heck isn't finished inside - it's got cushions for the quarter berths and that's it. But your right, the less weight the better for me :)

I may add a stove to mine but it's way down the list. Top priority is a spinnaker :)
Did you get the europa afterall? Do you still have it? I have bought one on the broads, going to see her in a few weeks, very exciting.