Hunter boats? any views

alant

Visit site
alant,

so did I, knew the Duette figured somewhere in the proceedings but thought it a bit odd they'd used twin keelers, now I remember the lift jobs, if any survived they'd be quite sought after !

used to sail a lift keel version, bought from Hampshire CC, under the Itchen bridge.

tyce

Visit site
Well i feel qualified to say and speaking from experience that the sadler29 does not run rings around a Moody 31, its actually quite the opposite.

Pye_End

Visit site
Are you sure you're not thinking of the Duette version, they were used in deliberately engineless form by some sort of RYA youth training scheme, I think before being fully marketed in the normal way, though I may be wrong it's a while ago now.

RYA Young Skippers initially ran Sonatas, and then changed them for Duettes (the Sonatas may have been the lift keel version). Both at the time were engineless, although have a feeling that an engine for the lead boat crept in later on. They were all provided with oars - useful for getting into marinas, but less so for windless days. Both excellent boats, and a great scheme to learn sailing, especially at that age.

Don't recall if they had the first Duettes that were made, although they had 6 in total (don't know if they were replaced) and there must have been hundreds made. Cannot imagine they had this scheme in mind when they designed them.

On the strength of how they stood up to some very nasty weather I had one as my first boat, and sailed her to Germany and back (Harwich to Ijmuiden as the main crossing, both times in very poor weather). Well put together boats, although found the ride a bit harsh for this sort of cruising, so changed for something heavier.

Have chartered an American Hunter (Legend). Spacious in a marina, but was disappointed with the sailing.

Visit site
Nicholas 123,

I wonder what sort of work your hands were doing, clearly your brain isn't involved or you would know Hunters have produced a lot of boats with keels other than twin, and were/ are not mass produced by modern standards.

I know an extremely experienced Yachtmaster Instructor with several Atlantic crossings under his belt who is currently restoring a Hunter 701, an early 1970's Oliver Lee designed lift keeler which was the forerunner of the Anderson 22.

He could afford a much bigger blander boat like a Maxi and used to own a large blue water steel boat, but as he has experience and taste he's chosen the Hunter.

Bully for him.I still think they are cheaply fitted out & toy like looking.Each to his own.

Visit site
And so you should. The Hunter is a twin keel with a PY of 1118 whilst the Kestrel is a drop keel with a PY of 1037. The Kestrel is a half way house between a racing dinghy and a small cruiser - the equivalent Hunter is the Sonata which as it happens has the same sort of performance as the Kestrel.

Hunters are sound British built boats. Should be regarded as a sort of British Beneteau rather than a sort of Westerly. They are solidly built but light - for example the decks arent balsa cored and neither are the hulls, both of which are a big plus.

The Kestrel I owned had bilge keels & a draft of about two feet.It was however built like a tank & really came alive in strong winds & conditions in which most people don't leave the Harbour.I hope this clarifies the position :D
& PS:My beef is not so much really about performance as design styling & quality of craftsmanship in relation to old more traditionally designed boats.....Fashion you could call it.

JimC

Visit site
The Hunter range seems cheaply made & a bit toy like to me.
They look cheap to me,
I still think they are cheaply fitted out & toy like looking.
I still think they are cheap & tacky looking. That Hunter mark seems to have always been about fashion.
Yeah but maybe not style;)
You really don't like Hunters do you? I can't see any thing cheap, tacky, toy-like, excessively fashionable or lacking in style here [URL="here"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx_NMORp96s[/URL]. As has been said: each to his own.

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
A novice chum bought a grp twin keel Kestrel 22 - yes there is confusion with the plywood lift keeler - on E-Bay one evening after a bottle of wine !

I'm sure he won't mind me saying she is no sailing boat; if that's Nicholas 123's idea of sailing nirvana it explains a great deal ! :rolleyes:

gallan947

Visit site
I think that description may well be applied to the American Hunters, but the real - ie British - ones are good looking boats, with the exception of the larger latest models.

I've sailed a twin keel Horizon 23, and while she wouldn't worry an Anderson 22 in terms of performance or probably seaworthiness in severe conditions, I was impressed by her as a modern family boat.

That sounds like a challenge to me ;)

Seajet

Visit site
How do you intend to have a seaworthiness competition? Keep on going out in increasing Beaufort numbers until the first one founders, or just compare whose side-decks were most awash?

gallan and I are chums and any race will be a good humoured casual affair, I don't think we need fight each other all the way to Cape Horn...