Hunter boats? any views

Coaster

Visit site
Agreed, completely different to British Hunters which bear no relation; it's a shame for the UK boats that the American ones chose that name.

I see that the US Hunter sailing boats were built from 1973 onwards. When did UK Hunter start? I note that the Sonata was from 1976 to 1990.

Perhaps we should say that it's a shame the UK company chose the same name as the US one!

Cloven

Visit site
I see that the US Hunter sailing boats were built from 1973 onwards. When did UK Hunter start? I note that the Sonata was from 1976 to 1990.

Perhaps we should say that it's a shame the UK company chose the same name as the US one!

Earliest record I can find for the UK Hunter from the Hunter Association is for 1971 for the Squib followed by the Hunter 19 in 1972 which makes it at least 40 years in 2011. The US Hunter website is flagging up its 40th anniversary this year so looks like the UK beat it by at least a year !!!!!

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site

I forget the exact history of Peter Poland and Hunters, but they were already going well with the early Squib production ( later taken over by another firm I think ) the 490 Micro Cruiser and 19 before1972 when David Blagden raced Willing Griffin across the Atlantic, so he must have approached them to build a slightly beefed up version well before then; I'm about to re-read a copy of his book ' Very Willing Griffin ' I have been kindly loaned.

Fosdyke Wash

Visit site
Very pleased with my lift-keel Hunter Delta - drama-free solo cruise from the East coast to Cherbourg, last year. Plenty of sail keeps her going in light airs. Some have in-board diesels but the outboard has many advantages, too.

johnphilip

Visit site
Just looked at the ones available on apolloduck & while the ones you mention might well be cracking for racing I still think they are cheap & tacky looking.
That Hunter mark seems to have always been about fashion.
Sweeping statement, I assume you are either ignorant or just want to provoke an inane forum rant.

Seajet

Visit site
I think that description may well be applied to the American Hunters, but the real - ie British - ones are good looking boats, with the exception of the larger latest models.

I've sailed a twin keel Horizon 23, and while she wouldn't worry an Anderson 22 in terms of performance or probably seaworthiness in severe conditions, I was impressed by her as a modern family boat.

Uricanejack

Visit site
I had a Sonata for five years

campaigned the sox off it

four strong blokes sailing in all weathers failed to break anything

I now own Katie L - a Hunter Minstrel

I feel very safe

well built and sails beautifully

buy with confidence whatever those who have never owned one say on this thread

Dylan

there are some films somewhere

+1
Never owned one but crewed for a friend on his Hunter Sonata during winter racing season on the Clyde. Great wee boat. I'd by one. Sail it any where or at least any where I'd sail. Of course those who know me might call me cheep and tacky

Visit site
Our last boat was a Hunter Horizon 30 and took us to Brittany and back on several occassions without the slightest concern. It was only after the spectacular payout from an endowment policy that we went bigger, otherwise I'm sure we would still have her.

Seajet

Visit site
I met a chap with a 16' Hunter 490 in St Peter Port, he'd happily sailed her across then carried on to Jersey and the Minquiers; several forumites have 490's and speak very highly of their sailing qualities, and the Hunter 19 Owners Association is very active.

Last edited:
Visit site
Sweeping statement, I assume you are either ignorant or just want to provoke an inane forum rant.

Actually it's just my personal opinion based on years of working practically with my hands.They look cheap to me,you are welcome to your own personal opinion!

& PS:I don't necessarily include Dylans boat in that.That looks a departure from the mass produced twin keel ones.It has slightly more character!

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
Nicholas 123,

you are beginning to sound silly, Hunters of all ages are fine cruising boats and have been all over the place, the fact they perform well with good handling is another demonstration of good design.

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
phew

Actually it's just my personal opinion based on years of working practically with my hands.They look cheap to me,you are welcome to your own personal opinion!

& PS:I don't necessarily include Dylans boat in that.That looks a departure from the mass produced twin keel ones.It has slightly more character!

bless you

the value of Katie L just went up five per cent

Dylan

I found the films -

here is more than you could ever want to know about the best Hunter ever built
(except the one that looks like an Anderson 22..... obviously)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCIPgGIvS1I&list=PL-leOGnyCr2Q7CWWqB_2hjEBD6m1PJVQy

now in the hands of a bufoon

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
Nicholas 123,

I wonder what sort of work your hands were doing, clearly your brain isn't involved or you would know Hunters have produced a lot of boats with keels other than twin, and were/ are not mass produced by modern standards.

I know an extremely experienced Yachtmaster Instructor with several Atlantic crossings under his belt who is currently restoring a Hunter 701, an early 1970's Oliver Lee designed lift keeler which was the forerunner of the Anderson 22.

He could afford a much bigger blander boat like a Maxi and used to own a large blue water steel boat, but as he has experience and taste he's chosen the Hunter.