Hugo Boss

newtothis

Visit site
Meh, you should see it when Seajet opens his garage doors.
But interesting to see Hugo Boss move in to bathroom accessories with this new line of soap dishes.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I wonder what Joshua Slocom would have thought about it after perhaps being cryogenically
frozen and happened to wake up in the shed.

If there was a brace and bit and an adze about he would soon have it sorted.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I think they nicked the idea from Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons .

The black and silver aesthetic is very traditional Hugo Boss, though.

hugo-boss-1934-collection-741x392.jpg

Roger52

Visit site
HUGO BOSS - the name carried by all six of the team's previous IMOCA boats - is a purpose-built 60ft long carbon fibre yacht, weighing 7.6 tonnes and featuring state-of-the-art hydrofoils. The boat's deck and coach roof, meanwhile, feature solar panelling, an addition which the team hopes will allow it to achieve its ambition of sailing around the world without the use of fossil fuels.

The boat's striking black carbon hull - with its significantly streamlined bow - has now been made public, a demonstrable architectural step forward from the team's previous iterations. The hull's glossy black finish echoes the sleek brand identity of the team's Title Partner, HUGO BOSS, whose BOSS brand logo has been cleverly created from silver carbon fibre and embedded into the hull itself.

The distinctive black hull is in stark contrast to accents of fluorescent pink which can be seen across the boat's coach roof, keel and rudder. Devised by Industrial Designer Karim Rashid - the man behind the brand identity of the boat - the bespoke fluro tone is a first for the IMOCA class.

There was more information about the boat on his web site as above. As Bobc says it's designed for a purpose.

Iain C

Visit site
I think it's an incredible looking thing. Not "pretty" as such, but an absolute weapon...although I prefer the looks and paint job of the previous boat.

I can absolutely see why the cockpit is enclosed and the coachroof is as it is...the amount of water coming down the decks on these things is incredible and that design is presumably a big advantage. I just hope they've not gone too extreme...rumours are it has no tiller or wheel, just a remote control for the autopilot. But then again you are going to the bog way more than you are hand steering one of these...and there's no bog either as it's just complication and weight. I just hope the electrics are reliable enough.

Cannot wait to see it sail, if the old boat recorded speeds of mid 30s, will we see this new generation into the 40s?

dom

Visit site
It’s ugly.

Seems to be general agreement there.

It's radical for sure, and I guess that's kind of the point, but I think it looks quite simply drop dead gorgeous...

...and I'd jump on it for a whizz in half a heartbeat ;)

TLouth7

Visit site
Wot's the two propellors for?
They use them as hydrogenerators for power, having two gives redundancy. Presumably given their 0 fossil fuels aim it has electric drive and no conventional generator.

I'd love to see the interior/cockpit and foils but I imagine they are keeping them thoroughly under wraps. Interesting that this time they can move the foils in two axes, sounds like a lot more work for the skippers (and designers).

flaming

Visit site
They use them as hydrogenerators for power, having two gives redundancy. Presumably given their 0 fossil fuels aim it has electric drive and no conventional generator.

Less redundancy and more that they need one either side as a central one would be mostly out of the water.

I was expecting to be blown away by the new Boss, and it hasn't disappointed.... What a machine...

Other threads that may be of interest