How to remove sewage water from boat gosport / portsmouth area

Adetheheat

Visit site
I have a marine toilet on my Beneteau Antares. I guess when I do the flush handle thing the waste goes into the waste tank. How do I empty the waste tank? I have a filler cap for waste but I don't know anywhere in my area to empty it - there doesn't seem to be any facilities for this.
Regards
A.

Wakatere

Visit site
Ask Haslar Marina about their pump-out facility. Also one at Port Solent but if you're not based there it's a long way up the harbour and then through the lock.

Stemar

Visit site
Alternatively, go out into the Solent on a spring tide and open the drain valve :sneaky:

Ye, if everyone did it all at once, it might be a problem, but still, I suspect less than one Southern Water "exceptional circumstance" and, on a spring tide, it'll be gone into the channel and diluted to undetectable levels.

Adetheheat

Visit site
Hmm I don't know where the drain valve would be. It's a marine toilet with the pumpy handle thing and another red metal lever.

Tranona

Visit site
It will likely be a gravity tank where the waste is held in the tank by closing the outlet seacock. Open the seacock and the tank will empty. Do this at sea or use one of the pump out stations in marinas.

ylop

Visit site
Hmm I don't know where the drain valve would be. It's a marine toilet with the pumpy handle thing and another red metal lever.
It would be a very good idea for you to work out where every though hull fitting on your boat is. You may have toilet flush in, holding tank out, engine cooling in, sink out (galley + heads?), shower out?, bilge pump(s) out, engine exhaust, heater exhaust?, depth finder, log (speed). Holes in the hull being generally bad you should have soft wood bungs tied near each of these (that are above the waterline) so that if the fitting snaps off you can plug the hole and limp for shore.

If you don’t know where the outlet is - how do you know it’s not already open and just draining your waste direct into the marina?

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
I suspect that your toilet is draining into the sea, maybe directly, maybe via a holding tank. A holding tank is unlikely to hold more than a couple of days worth of output before it overflows and there’s no mistaking the resulting pong if that happens…..
So, as has been already said, start following the pipework from the toilet: the larger diameter pipe from the base of the pump will lead either to a through hull fitting or to a holding tank. From the holding tank there will be both a pump out option (going to the deck fitting, probably from the top of the tank) and a drain fitting either gravity directly to a through hull fitting or via a pump.
There‘s a possibility that there’s some sort of change over valve(s) between the toilet and the holding tank so you can choose not to use the tank at sea….
Have fun but do get familiar with the layout as if anything goes wrong you’ll need to understand how your system works so you can fix it. (And it will go wrong, don’t ask how I know!)

lustyd

Visit site
Ask Haslar Marina about their pump-out facility. Also one at Port Solent but if you're not based there it's a long way up the harbour and then through the lock.
I’ve no idea how you could mention the Haslar facility without highlighting the boat that does it is called Pumpy McPumpface 😂