How to extend the forestay?

Ed Colonna

Visit site
After rigging my daysailer (Valiant 18) the other day we realised that the forestay was incredibly short and that we could not rig it and so left it. After speaking to the previous owner he said he had some difficulties with this as well and to make up for the additional length he added lengths of rope from the bottom of the furling drum to where it should attach at the base of the pulpit. I may sound naive and although im 17 and have had allot previous sailing experience ive never had to do this....does anyone have any recommendations or experienced similar problems? love to hear any feedback, would a large channel stay do any good? i would use a D shackle but id need about 8......

many thanks

sailorman

Visit site
After rigging my daysailer (Valiant 18) the other day we realised that the forestay was incredibly short and that we could not rig it and so left it. After speaking to the previous owner he said he had some difficulties with this as well and to make up for the additional length he added lengths of rope from the bottom of the furling drum to where it should attach at the base of the pulpit. I may sound naive and although im 17 and have had allot previous sailing experience ive never had to do this....does anyone have any recommendations or experienced similar problems? love to hear any feedback, would a large channel stay do any good? i would use a D shackle but id need about 8......

many thanks

Hi & welcome
nothing wrong with a lashing in the correct material say 3m/m cord

VicS

Visit site

many thanks

Should there be bottle screw?

What make furler? ..... not a Plastimo with the sideplates missing ?

A photo would be useful.

You see all sorts of fudges and lash ups if you look round boat yards.

Looking at Plastimo gear alone:

DSCF0431.jpg~original

DSCF0437.jpg~original

DSCF0434.jpg~original

DSCF0433.jpg~original

DSCF0436.jpg~original

and a couple which are correctly fitted ( one without a bottle screw and one with a bottle screw)

DSCF0432.jpg~original

DSCF0435.jpg~original

Last edited:

30boat

N/A
Visit site
Should there be bottle screw?

What make furler? ..... not a Plastimo with the sideplates missing ?

A photo would be useful.

You see all sorts of fudges and lash ups if you look round boat yards.

Looking at Plastimo gear alone:

DSCF0431.jpg~original

DSCF0437.jpg~original

DSCF0434.jpg~original

DSCF0433.jpg~original

DSCF0436.jpg~original

and a couple which are correctly fitted

DSCF0432.jpg~original

DSCF0435.jpg~original

All but the first boat lack a toggle.Disasters waiting to happen.

VicS

Visit site
All but the first boat lack a toggle.Disasters waiting to happen.

I dont think the first one has a toggle either.

There is no suggestion in the fitting instructions that toggles are required

The last one will probably articulate around the deck fitting adequately. I know that one was professionally fitted

Last edited:

Lakesailor

Visit site
I can't see what a toggle would lend to the installation. The forestay isn't likely to need articulation in any plane (unless the mast falls down)

sailboat-rigging-hardware-toggle-2.jpg

30boat

N/A
Visit site
I can't see what a toggle would lend to the installation. The forestay isn't likely to need articulation in any plane (unless the mast falls down)

sailboat-rigging-hardware-toggle-2.jpg
I have to disagree I'm afraid.The forestay needs articulation at both ends or it will fatigue and break.The lateral stresses are quite high .

onesea

Visit site
I can't see what a toggle would lend to the installation.

I agree all of them have suitably sized extensions between the deck fitting and sail to allow sufficient flex and not be significantly weakened... You could move any of them 5 degrees either way without any risk of damage.

Does a fore-stay need any more???

Other threads that may be of interest