How should I submit my new sailing adventure book ?

robertjoliver

Visit site
Hi Julia & everyone,

I've written my first book, a real-life sailing adventure, and would very much appreciate some feedback, whether good or bad !
I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to post up any details up here but wanted to ask, what is the proper process for submitting a new book to the group for review ?

Thanks, Rob

Stingo

Visit site
Hi Julia & everyone,

I've written my first book, a real-life sailing adventure, and would very much appreciate some feedback, whether good or bad !
I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to post up any details up here but wanted to ask, what is the proper process for submitting a new book to the group for review ?

Thanks, Rob
Tell us more about Julia :cool:

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Robert, we have private message facility on YBW, but you have to have made a certain amount of posts to use it (I don't know how many). Once you're at that point, you could send people a PDF on request, which should be relatively easy.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Robert, we have private message facility on YBW, but you have to have made a certain amount of posts to use it (I don't know how many). Once you're at that point, you could send people a PDF on request, which should be relatively easy.
Or stick it up on Google Drive and only visible for those who have the link - and then send interested parties (me) the link.

Just realised that you would need to use the PM to send the link- DOH!

robertjoliver

Visit site
What about a few paragraphs to give us an idea of you writing,meanwhile
Thanks Wansworth !

Here's one passage from "Playing Cards in a Hurricane":
“What’s happening ?”, I asked.
“Well, it’s up to Force 11 now. I’ve been checking the wind speed, the height of the waves and looking at how the crests are behaving. We are talking near hurricane force now. Wind is about 75 miles an hour and the waves are at least 40 feet.”
“Right, let’s get ready”, he said at last.
A decision had been made. He pulled the life-raft out into the middle of the saloon floor from its stowage under the stairs. It was still packed and sealed up in its white fibreglass box like an outsized suitcase. He unravelled a long, yellow strap from its side and made sure that it was free of any tangles. It put me in mind of a ripcord on a parachute and I realised that it would indeed serve a similar purpose when the time came.
He reached back and handed me a sealed, blue plastic container that looked like an oversized sweet jar, with a handle.
“Rob, you are in charge of the flares. Guard them with your life from now on.”
“Scouse, collect all the food that you can carry. Put it in a polythene bag, leave a bit of air in it so that it will float, seal it up and make it watertight. Keep it right by you. From now on, you’re in charge of food.”
He sat down on top of the life-raft with his back to the toilet and with his orders given, was content to wait.
I had to ask the question.
“So, when do we go then ?”
“We don’t.” said Stokie. “Not as long as this boat is floating, even if it’s half under water, it will still be better than any life-raft. If the time comes, I will smash the life-raft through the doors and go with it, out over the side. You stay right on my heels and do exactly what I do.”
I really wish I hadn’t asked now.
We sat in the dark, facing in towards each other, waiting for the crash of a monstrous wave that would be the death knell of our yacht. This would be our call to action and each of us knew what we would do when we abandoned ship. We would do this with speed and precision. Stokie had the life-raft, I had the flares, Scouse had the food. We sat like this for many hours, awake and looking at each other wordlessly, right through the night.
When daylight came, the wind, sea and waves were still as violent and monstrous but we felt that we had been spared. None of us mentioned it but the mood became lighter. We went out onto the deck, adjusted the rigging, took stock and could find no damage.
Thoroughly soaked again, we retreated back down below again and settled into a new routine together. Cooking, brewing tea and coffee, playing many hands of cards, listening to music but always keeping watch. Never in my life before had I played cards this much, nor ever since. Whist, Rummy, Scabby Queen, Blackjack, Egyptian Ratscrews, Crazy Eights. There seemed to be no end to the games, nor Scouse’s encyclopedic knowledge of them. If one of us didn’t know the next one that he announced, he would teach it to us patiently and clearly. He avoided only Cribbage and Poker because we needed a board with pegs, or money, and we had neither !
This went on for two days, punctuated only by two waves at different times that hit the yacht with such force that it reverberated like a drum, shuddering for several seconds after each wave had long gone.
In the end, it was not the storm but the monotony of living like this that nearly killed us. Unnoticed by us, Scouse had become increasingly lax in keeping watch and when at last he did look out and then around, he yelped in surprise. Stokie and I raced to the hatch and there amongst the rolling 40’ waves was a container vessel, a few hundred yards away. It was massive and charged through the waves as if they were of no consequence. It was converging on our course but thankfully, it was clear that it wouldn’t come close after all. The air turned blue as we expressed our displeasure to Scouse and for once, there was not an ounce of humour behind it.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Thanks Wansworth !

Here's one passage from "Playing Cards in a Hurricane":
“What’s happening ?”, I asked.
“Well, it’s up to Force 11 now. I’ve been checking the wind speed, the height of the waves and looking at how the crests are behaving. We are talking near hurricane force now. Wind is about 75 miles an hour and the waves are at least 40 feet.”
“Right, let’s get ready”, he said at last.
A decision had been made. He pulled the life-raft out into the middle of the saloon floor from its stowage under the stairs. It was still packed and sealed up in its white fibreglass box like an outsized suitcase. He unravelled a long, yellow strap from its side and made sure that it was free of any tangles. It put me in mind of a ripcord on a parachute and I realised that it would indeed serve a similar purpose when the time came.
He reached back and handed me a sealed, blue plastic container that looked like an oversized sweet jar, with a handle.
“Rob, you are in charge of the flares. Guard them with your life from now on.”
“Scouse, collect all the food that you can carry. Put it in a polythene bag, leave a bit of air in it so that it will float, seal it up and make it watertight. Keep it right by you. From now on, you’re in charge of food.”
He sat down on top of the life-raft with his back to the toilet and with his orders given, was content to wait.
I had to ask the question.
“So, when do we go then ?”
“We don’t.” said Stokie. “Not as long as this boat is floating, even if it’s half under water, it will still be better than any life-raft. If the time comes, I will smash the life-raft through the doors and go with it, out over the side. You stay right on my heels and do exactly what I do.”
I really wish I hadn’t asked now.
We sat in the dark, facing in towards each other, waiting for the crash of a monstrous wave that would be the death knell of our yacht. This would be our call to action and each of us knew what we would do when we abandoned ship. We would do this with speed and precision. Stokie had the life-raft, I had the flares, Scouse had the food. We sat like this for many hours, awake and looking at each other wordlessly, right through the night.
When daylight came, the wind, sea and waves were still as violent and monstrous but we felt that we had been spared. None of us mentioned it but the mood became lighter. We went out onto the deck, adjusted the rigging, took stock and could find no damage.
Thoroughly soaked again, we retreated back down below again and settled into a new routine together. Cooking, brewing tea and coffee, playing many hands of cards, listening to music but always keeping watch. Never in my life before had I played cards this much, nor ever since. Whist, Rummy, Scabby Queen, Blackjack, Egyptian Ratscrews, Crazy Eights. There seemed to be no end to the games, nor Scouse’s encyclopedic knowledge of them. If one of us didn’t know the next one that he announced, he would teach it to us patiently and clearly. He avoided only Cribbage and Poker because we needed a board with pegs, or money, and we had neither !
This went on for two days, punctuated only by two waves at different times that hit the yacht with such force that it reverberated like a drum, shuddering for several seconds after each wave had long gone.
In the end, it was not the storm but the monotony of living like this that nearly killed us. Unnoticed by us, Scouse had become increasingly lax in keeping watch and when at last he did look out and then around, he yelped in surprise. Stokie and I raced to the hatch and there amongst the rolling 40’ waves was a container vessel, a few hundred yards away. It was massive and charged through the waves as if they were of no consequence. It was converging on our course but thankfully, it was clear that it wouldn’t come close after all. The air turned blue as we expressed our displeasure to Scouse and for once, there was not an ounce of humour behind it.
My wife is a full time professional editor, her comments on the above was 'not bad at all, I've had a lot worse ' keep plugging away.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Not having been in such a situation ,but in a gale for several days it seems to lack the whole business of being thrown about and the tiredness
Sit/lie wedged on the saloon floor and you don't get too badly thrown around, sleep deprivation is a factor though, not least from the noise. 'it's not bad if the rigging isn't howling'

KeithMD

Visit site
Not having been in such a situation ,but in a gale for several days it seems to lack the whole business of being thrown about and the tiredness

Or perhaps someone who's so violently sea sick, and depleted by it, they end-up lying in a pool of their own vomit pleading for someone to kill them. It hasn't happened to me, but I've heard of it on a ferry from Ullapool to Stornoway.

MikeBz

Visit site
Or perhaps someone who's so violently sea sick, and depleted by it, they end-up lying in a pool of their own vomit pleading for someone to kill them. It hasn't happened to me, but I've heard of it on a ferry from Ullapool to Stornoway.

The 3 stages of seasickness:

1. You start to feel a little sick, and worry that you're going to be sick.

2. You are repeatedly sick, and worry that you are going to die.

3. You continue to be repeatedly sick, and worry that you are not going to die.