How practical are you in PBOwnership?

Refueler

Visit site
I used to tackle most jobs, I still try, but at the top of the list when I assess a job is how easy is access to do the job. Age and reduced mobility is no friend!

Sums me up as well ..... with latest spine injury - my DIY list is seriously curtailed now.

I can afford to pay people / buy the gear or whatever ... but why ? I get immense satisfaction out of solving an issue or adding a service ... like when I build a model - the joy is in building and then seeing it work.

TSB240

Visit site
I prefer to DIY if I know I have the time and inclination to do the work.

But I am continually reminded by my off spring that my time is limited and "there are no pockets in shrouds"

I understand this to mean that if I want to sail on into my sunset years then no inheritance is expected!

I think the transfer from PBO to PAYG is inversely proportional to age unless a willing and trainable grandchild is looking for an apprenticeship.

I expect I will eventually be referred to as the "Old Fossil"working on "my ancient relic" by one or all of my GK's.
Hopefully they might be skilled enough to take me out and spread the ashes when my time comes.

Blueboatman

Visit site
I wanted to sail before I learnt how to earn ?

Kinda dictated that ‘some work is necessary’
featured in the vessels available to buy..!

Having worked in a boatyard I would respectfully suggest that sometimes the rate you pay may not automatically always be commensurate with the quality or value of the workachieved.

Also, not that many professionals actually sail !
I like fettling and I like sailing

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
I think that sailing and owning a boat are similar in that they both involve taking what you're given and problem solving skills to make the best of a situation. I am always thinking of ways that I can improve the boat - and of I used the best tactics to get somewhere.
My problem is that I'm not a completer-finisher; the functional part of maintenance/improvements takes me about 20% of the time, and the cosmetic part the other 80%. I'm getting better, honest!

Poignard

Visit site
Is an insurance company going to accept as insurable rigging done by an enthusiastic amateur?
Many, if not most, insurers require a survey.

If, regardless of who did the work, the surveyor does not find fault with the rigging why would the insurance company require any more information about it?

I reckon it would be a pretty inexperienced surveyor who had not come across examples of shoddy work by professionals, and first-class work by non-professionals. :)

geem

Visit site
Is an insurance company going to accept as insurable rigging done by an enthusiastic amateur?
You are assuming that all proffesional riggers are competent. I have fixed stuff that so called professional riggers didnt pick up. Things like the wrong size clevis pin in bottlesscrews. Friends had a bottlescrew fail onroute to Madeira. It had the wrong clevis pin fitted. They lost the babystay. This boat had a rig survey before it left the UK.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
As with steveeasy #9, I would love to be in the position of paying someone to do at least the really awkward stuff, but just can’t afford to, so still do everything myself, Getting in and out of cockpit lockers to access stern gland etc. is getting more difficult now, not as flexible as I used to be and spending hours crouched over o my knees is getting very uncomfortable, but so far haven’t found a job I can’t tackle ‘YET!’

Daydream believer

Visit site
I bought my second Stella as a virtual wreck, Stripped it to a bare hull & left some deck beams in place to maintain the basic shape. Then rebuilt it & sheaved it on the outside & resin coated it internally. Fitted it out, re rigged it complete with new gear & sails . My biggest regret was not recording the whole project for PBO. I have written about 20 + short articles for PBO magazine .
Engine work, saildrive seals, Coppercoat,(twice) etc are all natural tasks on my current yacht & launch. Building a launching trailer for my squib & adapting an aquired trailer for my launch are all par for the course. Having to refit the badly fitted engine (by a so called professional) does put me off subbing work out to some.. That does not mean that there are not a few that I do trust though. I do the odd minor engineering job for friends- making rope cutters etc- in my workshop. Plus rebuilt the cab on the club tractor.
Laying moorings & race marks for the club are annual events.
All keeps a 75 year old busy & stops the mind goingtotally blank.

jamie N

Visit site
It's ongoing isn't it.
Today was spent putting in a waterproof enclosure for a couple of sensors; exhaust temperature and a voltage monitor, along with a power cut off for the tiller pilot, if it stalls at the end of travel for a few seconds.
All sensors self fitted. I've also made a stackpack, and a self steering wind vane, but wouldn't want to do rigging or sails due to a lack of ability, and confidence.
Having some skills can confuse some into imagining that they've all the skills, similarly the reverse where some are put off from DIY by confidence alone.
For me, I get enjoyment from the PBO aspect, but expend more effort on avoiding paying Yottie prices for something that's in general circulation.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I have done my own rigging. It's simple engineering stuff. Rerigged my last boat completely. Replaced all the mizzen stays a couple of years ago on this boat. Fitted a new compact strand 10mm baby stay for the main mast at the same time.
I am convinced about the simplicity of rigging, but not sure my insurance company will be happy if I did it myself.

If there is a problem my riggers and insurance company are within 100 metres of each other and I am more than happy for everybody to sit down over a mug of coffee and sort out a claim.

geem

Visit site
I am convinced about the simplicity of rigging, but not sure my insurance company will be happy if I did it myself.

If there is a problem my riggers and insurance company are within 100 metres of each other and I am more than happy for everybody to sit down over a mug of coffee and sort out a claim.
Once your mast is over side and you have had to cut everythung free it may not be so clear cut as to who or what was at fault. I have piece of mind doing my own rig check before/after every long passage.

Refueler

Visit site

Suggest you are over-imagining this ......

Norseman and other 'wedge / toggle' fittings have been certified and available for years ............ wonder how and why they survived ?????

TSB240

Visit site

I replaced rigging on my old trailer sailer.
Plenty of tuning guides available for 3/4 rigged boats.
I inspected and checked all rigging at least twice a year when trailing.

Boat was sold by my buyer to an other.
Rig fell down.
Why? I don't know.
Insurance paid out for whole rig including new mast on basis of my dated receipt from Jimmy Green for new standing rigging and purchasers surveyor report.

I don't feel capable of setting up a double spreader rig for my current boat. I have taken free advice from a well respected retired local rigger. I am quite capable of ordering the necessary parts from Jimmy Green or any other rigging supplier. Retiree will happily supervise the installation and setup.

In my ownership I will have a rig inspection carried out annually for which I will have paid and received an invoice and had a written condition report.

I don't expect to make a claim in my ownership but think I have covered for this eventuality.

DownWest

Visit site
Having made rigging since my early teens and somewhat later re-rigged a big ketch with Norseman terminals, that aspect doesn't worry me. The swageless terminals are not difficult to use, nor are hydraulicly swaged ends, if you have the kit. Simple swaged ends à la Talurit can be done easily, roll swaged ends need quite expensive kit, so not realy DIY.

Refueler

Visit site
Having made rigging since my early teens and somewhat later re-rigged a big ketch with Norseman terminals, that aspect doesn't worry me. The swageless terminals are not difficult to use, nor are hydraulicly swaged ends, if you have the kit. Simple swaged ends à la Talurit can be done easily, roll swaged ends need quite expensive kit, so not realy DIY.

Too often seen shop guys fit Talurit .... where guy has then 'squeezed' it twice to make sure...... WRONG !

Giving it that "extra 'squeeze' to be sure" can actually cause micro-fracture of the Talurit .......

Not being smart - but Swaged and Talurit are not same game ..... but terms often mixed.

slawosz

Visit site
I love DIY on my boat. On first lockdown I drove around 3000 miles to work on boat. I did plenty of woodworking, grp, electric work etc on my Achilles 24 including full paint job… I also design and 3d print plenty of equipment.