How much weight can fibreglass take

Jay Bee

Visit site
Hi all, I need to fit my new self steering vane to my transom with bolts/washers/nuts and wonder how much weight the fibreglass at the transom can take. Clearly it depends on the thickness of the GRP. I would guess that mine is 5mm thick. The self steering gear weighs approximately 20kg.
Do I run the risk of tearing the fibreglass with the weight and what work around solutions are there? Many thanks

fredrussell

Visit site
What sort of windvane? It’s not so much the weight of the unit you need to worry about, it’s the force applied to mounting area by wind vane doing its business. Hydrovane will put a lot more pressure on transom than servo pendulum types. Either way I’d be putting a nice thick piece of ply in there as a backing plate between transom inner and washers & nuts.

salar

harley25refit.blogspot.co.uk
The larger the backing plate, the more you will spread the load so I would glass in a ply backing plate a good bit larger than the fixings for the vane. If you have difficulty accessing behind, a stainless plate glued to the inside of the hull will do a very good job, but probably more difficult to source.

oldharry

Visit site
Yes definitely need backing plate such as those described to spread the load. Its not just taking the weight of the steerer, but just consider the loads if a line catches it, or it gets up against a neighbouring boat! Without any backing, it could just rip it off. As suggested a 15mm ply pad glassed in twice the size of the steerer mount would do it.

Supertramp

Visit site
The larger the backing plate, the more you will spread the load so I would glass in a ply backing plate a good bit larger than the fixings for the vane. If you have difficulty accessing behind, a stainless plate glued to the inside of the hull will do a very good job, but probably more difficult to source.
Look on ebay. Hit and miss but there are often offcuts of stainless steel of various thicknesses and sizes. I used a 30cm x 15 cm piece of 5mm as a backing for a new mooring cleat. The deck will come off before that gives!

William_H

Visit site
As said you need to move the loads out to the edge of the transom. No I think 5mm transom with 22 kg would fail (or be unsafe) with 4 bolts and just large penny washers. The backing board /plate needs to be at least as thick as transom and large enough to move loads outwards. Ideally use GRP that is tapered in thikckness at the edges to avert a sharp edge to the transition of loads form backing plate to transom. Yes any support down to the keel or up to the deck will also help a lot. ol'will

Neeves

Visit site
We are all guessing as we no idea, at all, of the transom of your yacht. You have not even told us which yacht.

So get your phone out and take some pictures (that's why you have a camera in your phone) of where you intend to locate the self steering vane, tell us who makes the vane and maybe offer a link to the specific one you will attach....

Then you will receive educated answers to your question.

Jonathan

rogerthebodger

Visit site
We are all guessing as we no idea, at all, of the transom of your yacht. You have not even told us which yacht.

So get your phone out and take some pictures (that's why you have a camera in your phone) of where you intend to locate the self steering vane, tell us who makes the vane and maybe offer a link to the specific one you will attach....

Then you will receive educated answers to your question.

Jonathan

I agree Jon I like how long is a piece of string type of question

Geoff A

Visit site
I forget where I heard / read this, as It would have been sometime in the 1970s. It was something like, GRP provided the laminating is done correctly as in no air trapped between layers GRP weight for weight by aera is as strong as steel.

Jay Bee

Visit site
Many thanks for the your replies. The self steering gear is a servo-pendulum type so not Hydrovane. The yacht is a Sadler 290.

Other threads that may be of interest