How much 'hassle' is it towing a larger boat?

TheOrs

Visit site
I've had small speedboats for years, pulling them with various cars (Mondeo, Octavia) with no trouble. Mostly local to and from the slipway but also longer journeys; holidays etc.

I also have a 24ft sports cruiser (Fletcher 238). It's 25 & 1/2 ft inc. anchor and swim platform and about 2400kg dry; so probably pretty much on the 3.5T limit if you include a trailer, fluids, junk etc.

It's on a mooring but I'm thinking of getting a trailer so I can have it on the driveway out of season. This will make it a lot easier to work on than it's usual place on the hard in the boatyard.

I'm debating whether to change vehicles and tow it myself or whether to pay the yard to tow it home for me.

So, how much grief is it; towing a 3.5T, 25ft load? Do I need to plan to avoid hills, traffic etc?

rafiki_

Visit site
I towed a sports cruiser similar to this with a V8 Discovery. No problem for the car, or launch and recovery. However, this is a pretty big rig, and I did not enjoy the towing experience, especially in traffic. Note I was a very experienced LandRover driver, on and off road.

Visit site
I towed a Searay 230 Sundancer down from Scotland with a VW Tiguan and didn’t enjoy it one bit, the boat was too big for the car really but it still launched it and recovered it ok.

dpb

Visit site
We are on our 2nd 25ft sportscruiser that is towed home for winter.
It does make a big difference to me keeping the boat at the house over winter making it so much easier to look after and to grab the time to 'tinker' when it occurs.
As for the towing part, that seems to me to be an individual thing. Some relish it, others hate it, and some, including me I suppose just get on with it as part of the boating experience.
Taking time to setup everything about the car and trailer as well as possible certainly make it easier

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
We tow a Regal 2250 which is just over 3T when loaded up. We use a diesel Range Rover Sport (3.5T capability). It tows with no problem and launch/recovery is fine.

Biggest consideration for me the length and maneuverability of the set-up. I need to think ahead so I do not go down dead end roads where a turn around is needed etc. and avoid where possible single track roads (a lot of slipways have narrow approaches). Plan the route ahead. With the boat/trailer up around 8 metres in length (with drawbar) and the car at 4.8 metres then you are approaching 13metres of set-up with a large turning circle. Having a low range gearset helps with the low speed moves.

b2ap3_large_sized_Jimny_IMG_20180324_093311.jpg

mecopoduler

Visit site
​​​​​blimey Rafiki ! call yourself a landrover man ? Pah ! never rubbish or make light of the product...."I did not enjoy the towing experience,"...indeed !!!

OK owning up now, I have driven L/R since I was at school (we had 2) …. we now have a collection ourselves , and a variety of trailers … when I eventually picked up the Fletcher (only an 18 footer) I dragged it 200 miles easy-peasy with the Disco2... including the odd hill near home at about 1:5.
I prefer to have a bit of weight in the back of the tow vehicle...not too much obviously... but it does help to prevent tail wag, should you encounter poor road surface and / or not quite get the tow hitch weight "correct". also make sure that you have plenty of air in the tyres... all the tyres, as they are working harder than 'usual'.

there again don't go too high as you will lose grip.

ah yes, and don't forget that you are towing it ! sounds obvious, but swmbo was towing my Rover800 and a pedestrian stepped out in front of her... She stopped , waved at the pedestrian, then drove on forgetting the tow.There was a helluva "TWANG"...and I remained stationary in the middle of the road.... she must have heard something as she stopped a few yards on. well we hitched up and carried on , and I honestly cannot remember any other road users at all even though it was outside the train station & post office & pub &...etc.

personally I prefer a manual transmission , cos I was taught to drive knowing that the vehicle had three brakes... and " the best one of these is the engine"... just be in the right gear for the occasion.ie downhill, narrow lane possible pedestrians, cyclists, dogs, other madcaps etc be in a lower gear and let the engine control your descent .. I like to go slower than 'hill descent control' decides as I am ultra cautious.

BUT as Jimmy says , check out the towing capacity of your tug... not all Navarras can tow 3.5 tons , nor Mitsubishies, pretty much all big Landrovers can, Toyota landcrab 3 tons plus... Ford Ranger ok too,

also I would think about an aluminium trailer , expensive, but may save a vital few kgs…. doesn't Bart have one of these ?? and he goes all over Europe.

I take it your driving license is ok for towing, and that you will have insurance cover... in which case just go and do it , and enjoy the experience. it,ll be just like a big caravan just a bit more pointy at the front !
M.

CLB

Visit site
Hassle is probably the wrong word. I don't find it any more hassle to tow 3.5t as I do to tow 1t. Stress levels, on the other hand, tend to be significantly higher. :D

For a once a year tow home, it would be fine, but do you really want to drive a huge gas guzzler on a daily basis just for a twice yearly tow?

stelican

Visit site
For many years we bought 22ft 2.5 ton boat home for the winter and due to poor access to drive it was always half an hour see saw to locate the boat on drive.
We eventually sold the 4wd and from then on the boatyard would move the boat for us simple one manoeuvre in or out.
Great having the boat at home for tinkering and no further need for a complicated vehicle.

rafiki_

Visit site
​​​​​blimey Rafiki ! call yourself a landrover man ? Pah ! never rubbish or make light of the product...."I did not enjoy the towing experience,"...indeed !!!

OK owning up now, I have driven L/R since I was at school (we had 2) …. we now have a collection ourselves , and a variety of trailers … when I eventually picked up the Fletcher (only an 18 footer) I dragged it 200 miles easy-peasy with the Disco2... including the odd hill near home at about 1:5.
There is a considerable difference towing an 18' Fletcher, than a 25' cruiser. My first mobo was a 22' Sea Ray. No stress at all towing this with the Disco, but the size of the 25'-er made a significant difference. And yes I was a Land Rover Engineer in those days too :encouragement:

mecopoduler

Visit site
Sorry Rafiki, my tongue def in cheek there. yes its a volume thing isn't it ? there being a massive volume increase for a short length increase .
For me the initial "shock" was starting to move the "object", and from a large yard (Boats) and open spaces once we got going it was ok.
Originally I was going to use the Accord ! then I realised the trailer had no brakes ! and a single axle.... so I took the trailer home , consulted the nice chaps at Indespension, got a set of brakes and ordered a second axle; put it all together and drove back and tried again. simples , er , as it were.
But I am used to 4X4 and trailers...crikey I have just added it up, between us SWMBO and I have about 500K with them. Oops, sorry guys...its easy to assume that's 'normal'
Perhaps I could suggest to OP that he asks a friend with a caravan for a try first ?

Ah yes good point about manoeverability Stelican … I have had to drive onto the front lawn before now in order to get the boat off the road. then used ropes and a ground winch to get the trailer lined up and into the garage.
maybe think about a quad bike to do this ? as its short, easy to manoeuvre , well , as long as the garden is flattish and quad is well powered.
front and back tow hitches are a great help too, along with simple things like wedges ... wedge one wheel and drag the trailer hitch around as needed.

perhaps size-up the house drive and the road outside ; can you easily reverse the rig onto the drive despite parked cars , kids bikes etc ? Fletcher man Robin Coomer had an interesting challenge getting his Squeeker off his drive as it was uphill and dipped a bit; but when levelled out his Range Rover easily did the pull.
as CLB says it can be stressful. I'm not sure about gas guzzler as my disco does about 40 mpg unless I cream it or just drive around town all day; well ok on a full tow its a bit less.
What's really annoying is that it is now pretty much impossible to hire such a car and go towing with it.
I do appreciate that it's joe public you have to allow for, and I have found that towing at night is quieter generally, but not so easy to see where you need to go. Against that may be the number of parked cars you find when you get home...?
Hmmm never easy is it ??

BartW

www.amptec.be
we towed our Karnic 2660 with twin VP D3 190HP from Belgium to Schotloand, Conwall, Croatia x3, SOF x3, ...
with a Mercedes GL (x2)
on paper the tow is 3,5T,
both myself and the wife drive this
wonderfull times with our 4 kids, and or with diving friends,
there are a few links to holiday reports with pics in the "cruise report" section on top of the page

good condition of the trailer and the car is key !
yearly maintenance and preventive replacement of brakes, bearings, tires, ...

AFAIR there is only a few brands that have a 4x4 which is up for towing 3.5t: MercGL, RR, Toyota, ..

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Towed a Sealine S23 down to Spain a few times using a 3litre Monterey (read Isuzu trouper) and a 2.8 Shogun. Load the car not the boat. I think our trailer wheels were a bit lightweight for that kind of journey as we had a few punctures. I’ve done with towing but if again I’d have a 6 wheel trailer for that size of boat and that distance.

gjgm

Visit site
I would give some thought to the slipway....if it is steep and slippery, you are going to need a proper 4X4. I once came back to the marina to find the slipway closed as someone's motor had lost traction and was now sitting at the bottom of the marina.
You also want the trailer properly set up for that boat and no questions in your mind over the brakes.
That in place, I didn't find towing 3.5t any issue...take it easy and allow for alot distance between you and anyone else.
Maintaining the trailer seemed to mean everything replaced each year.
Incidentally, and maybe it was on here many years back, there was a story about the insurance co. not paying out on a rolled caravan and Vogue as it was over weight. That was £75k lost...

TheOrs

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies; some very interesting points made.

The Fletcher I have is supposedly 2300kg dry for a V6. Mines a V8, + trailer (700kgs?) + outboard + fuel + junk. I reckon I’ll be pretty close to the 3.5T

I’m used to towing a small (14ft) boat and I’m 53 yrs old, so I’ve got everything I need licence wise.

The slipway I’d use is wide and shallow, so if I watch the tide; no problems there. My driveway is short (about 26ft) and pretty steep (slopes down from road to garage). I would probably have to remove the swim platform and mod the very front of the trailer so that I could remove it also. This is probably my main concern and what's giving me pause for thought. Good news is there’s a side road pretty much opposite, so it’s relatively easy to drop a boat onto the driveway (or rather it is with a 14 footer!)

As dpb confirms; I think I’ll get a lot more done on the boat with it at home. It sounds like a good option.

So; do I swap car, pay someone to move the boat or possibly hire as necessary (http://www.harfords4x4.co.uk/4x4-hire/). As I was considering this, I wondered if I swapped to a large 4x4*, would I then take advantage by using it to tow the boat to far flung exotic venues. That would of course sway my decision.

Darren

* I fancy a Grand Cherokee. I had an early LHD XJ Cherokee that came over from the states. It was kinda rubbish but I loved it. Choice of tow car is a whole other discussion though and can wait until I’ve made the decision to actually buy something or not.

gjgm

Visit site
I would think 2 tows was alot cheaper than running a big 4x4, add in the humungous depreciation and you could probably change boat!

mecopoduler

Visit site
Darren, a 26 foot drive for a 3.5 ton 25 ft boat & trailer is a bit tight for space...dead-weight and all that... if not a rubberised garage door, then perhaps deploy large wedges, rag bolted to your drive to act as wheel stops?
I used a bolt on hitch to "convert" my trailer; its about 30 inches long...so by removal you would gain a useful length reduction re overhanging the pavement, and also a make it difficult for anyone to extract it. maybe get yours designed that way, as you do not want any looseness through 'constant removal' etc. I just reread your comment re the drop...the jockey wheel/hitch may catch on the ground as the trailer drops down..? (its a good bit longer than for a 14 footer). a ladder assembly on say a L/R Defender would enable you to adjust this high, just before you back it on, which might assist. you would not drive it that way.
have a chat with your local trailer outfit or delivery boys and see what they suggest ?
there's always a way. go for it, and enjoy.
Martin
M.