How much extra length in a tack line?

jac

Visit site
I have new asymmetric and am making up the tack line.

Obviously it needs to be long enough to go from bow through clutch and round winch with a bit left over to hold but how much extra play to leave in it so that I can ease the tack line.

I don't want yards left cluttering up the cockpit or being wasted so was going to go with 2 metres ( 40 foot luff) but Is there a proper guide?

How much do others ease out tack lines in similar sized sails

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Jimmy Green website has some useful info on rigging sizes and lengths. Also one of the major sailmakers has plenty of advice but I can't remember which one. You could also try the old fashioned way and ring them.

jac

Visit site
Jimmy Green website has some useful info on rigging sizes and lengths. Also one of the major sailmakers has plenty of advice but I can't remember which one. You could also try the old fashioned way and ring them.

Did also look online at the various trimming guides. General consensus seemed to be to ease off up to about 6 feet maximum for that sort of size. I always make lines about a metre longer than the really need to be so that not only can I end for end when it starts to show wear but I can also cut off the eye splice with the swivel and make another eye further up the line and therefore move the pinch points.

New line will allow the tack to be eased about 10 feet from being tight and still stay on the winch so think I have some margin for error.