How much does anchor chain weigh?

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
I am looking to get my anchor chain re galvanised as it is pretty rusty, mainly because it has not been used for over a year. (60 meters of 10mm chain).
The quote I got was as follows

We can strip & re-galvanize chain, if the chain has been painted it will
need shot blasting.
It will take about 5 working days and an estimated cost will be 85p per
kilo (charged on the finished weight of the chain)
Transport: £60.00 (collected from, & returned to your premises)

My question is
How much does a meter of anchor chain weigh and is this good value?

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I really do thank you for your answers.
At least I can work out a price now.
There was an article on regalvanising chain in PBO recently. I think that the suggestion was that there was only one company in the UK who did it properly. It needs to be spun (or something like that) or some fancy process to make sure that the chain doesn't stick together and that its acid dipped and cleaned properly first etc etc.

Worth a search for back articles. I have the copy here somewhere if I can find it.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
I am sure the company they did the test with would say that but did they try any other companies when getting the chain done.
Has anyone on here had their chain re done and did they have any problems?

Poignard

Visit site
I bought 65m of 8mm chain from the manufacturers in the Midlands several years ago and the carriage cost £50 (+ vat), as far as I remember, so £60 today for a two-way trip doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

By the way, which firm are you dealing with? My chain could do with re-galvanising.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
The quote is from Humber Galvanizing Limited but I believe the are part of a bigger company called Wedge that have numerous branches throughout the UK.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
If a chap with a working watch on his wrist asked you the time, you'd be entitled to wonder why. And he did direct you to Google (in a back-handed way).

As you will know from reading and participating in the forums by asking simple questions we often get a lot of information from those who have either done what we are asking about or have far more knowledge on the subject.
From the replies I have had I now know more than just chain weights and my knowledge has been expanded. It may also help others.
I may have a working watch but it only has a hour hand.
By asking others with watches I now know the exact time.

macd

Visit site
You're quite right, Nostrodamus (although why a seer like you needs to ask any questions at all is hard to fathom :)): lots of useful information does pop up spontaineously, the useful side, perhaps, of thread drift. But then if you'd asked for others' experiences/knowledge of re-galvanising, you wouldn't have had to leave that to chance. And you're certainly smart enough to have framed the right question. As it was you invited others to think a little laterally when you're perfectly capable of doing so yourself.

In this context it's a small thing which I've no wish to overstate, but isn't self-reliance one of the most important attributes of a sailor?

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
You're quite right, Nostrodamus (although why a seer like you needs to ask any questions at all is hard to fathom :)): lots of useful information does pop up spontaineously, the useful side, perhaps, of thread drift. But then if you'd asked for others' experiences/knowledge of re-galvanising, you wouldn't have had to leave that to chance. And you're certainly smart enough to have framed the right question. As it was you invited others to think a little laterally when you're perfectly capable of doing so yourself.

In this context it's a small thing which I've no wish to overstate, but isn't self-reliance one of the most important attributes of a sailor?

I agree to a certain extent about self-reliance but I will never be too old nor too smart to listen and learn from others.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Thank you for the banter McD, I enjoyed it but most importantly I found the answer to my question and more.
May I wish you fair winds, good sailing and may your watch always keep perfect time!

doug748

Visit site
I am sure the company they did the test with would say that but did they try any other companies when getting the chain done.
Has anyone on here had their chain re done and did they have any problems?

Arkinstall did mine in Brum. I expect yours will be lugged to Brummieland as well. I paid £45+, for 45m of 8mm. I suspect this was a minimum charge.
I delivered, and a kind forumite collected for me. Carriage is the killer.
At this point in the season I would be tempted to go for it.
The finish is far better than the new chains I often see