How many other folk feel the same?

cherod

Visit site
It is sad when people get offended by others views, just because they do not align with theirs. then using the lefty method of having them censored.
Surely people should be allowed to express an opinion. Threads develope & whilst i accept that this one has gone well beyond its subject so should really go no further, They should be given some leeway. in most cases the Mods allow that quite liberally- untill they break the rules. I admit to haveing done that & receiving a slapped wrist more than once.
However, Dan, in my opinion has said nothing offensive. Just because it did not fit in with everyone's opinion. In fact one might consider the objections to be worse than the original posts to which the objections have been made. That is why I could not help but have a comment in post #74. But it was not an insult. In fact in most cases it would be true. The resulting reply carried what could be taken as an insult
So who was right & who was wrong?
6 of one & half dozen of the other really
totally agree . let us not be dictated to by the Ivy league mentality

Tom Sonoro

Visit site
Ms Sonoro isn't a sailor. Has no real interest at all. But she's game and I'm keen to teach the kids, so I joined an inland sailing club and we all go along when the weather is nice. One sunny weekend she got chatting with at least three other wet-suited mums standing on the shore. Turned out, after giving it a go, they had all concluded they didn't really enjoy sailing. They came to be with their families. Some brought kayaks, SUPs, mountain bikes and other leisure gear so they could pursue activities they enjoyed while their other half was racing/showing the kids the ropes.
Just anecdata of course. But I don't think it's hugely controversial to suggest that there are many sailing couples in which the enthusiasm for sailing is not evenly distributed between the partners.
For what it's worth, the kids aren't that fussed either.

Mark-1

Visit site
Ms Sonoro isn't a sailor. Has no real interest at all. But she's game and I'm keen to teach the kids, so I joined an inland sailing club and we all go along when the weather is nice. One sunny weekend she got chatting with at least three other wet-suited mums standing on the shore. Turned out, after giving it a go, they had all concluded they didn't really enjoy sailing. They came to be with their families. Some brought kayaks, SUPs, mountain bikes and other leisure gear so they could pursue activities they enjoyed while their other half was racing/showing the kids the ropes.
Just anecdata of course. But I don't think it's hugely controversial to suggest that there are many sailing couples in which the enthusiasm for sailing is not evenly distributed between the partners.
For what it's worth, the kids aren't that fussed either.

Matches the anecdata from my life/our clubs.

There are things my wife does that seem to overwhelmingly attract females over males. I don't think it would be insulting or misandristic if she vocalised that fact.

Tomahawk

Visit site
dancrane-
if you had any, I stress any- sence of tact, and good manners- you would have apologised and retracted your appalling posts.

Just a side note: I sail my own boat, racing; know a thing or two about maitenance, and would challenge you to go for a sail. You stand no chance.
Want another female? My -then- sixteen year old daughter- sailed in the same year:
in the Carribean...and the Arctic circle. Done more miles-in various seas- by now, than you probably ever did. And she is still in her teens... learning.
Women sailors...sail.
Sapienti sat...
EOT from me.

For clarity I have read the so called offensive post. And I have to report I know a number of women who fall exactly into the category that Dancrane describes. They will not sail no matter what. In fact we bought Tomahawk from an extremely unhappy man who bought his wife a beaufiful sailing craft that stays upright and does not lean over. She still refused to sail. A friend is deeply saddened his wife refuses to take part in sailing. Another friend has to sail everywhere by himself and his wife drives or flies to join him whilst stationary in a harbour.

I know I am lucky. First Officer grins like a Cheshire cat whenever she steps aboard. But I suggest you direct your very clear anger and resentment at your fellow women for not sharing your love of sailing.

01_Anna

Visit site
Dear Sir,
my anger, as you put it,
was directed towards -a minority- and I do stress a small minority- males, who show very disrespectful attitude towards women.
In writing, as well as in person.
BTW I have never had any problems finding crew. ?
In fact, I often offered to take out beginners- (please check this very forum!), when, for some inexplicable reason, none of those very helpful...experienced...old hands... were prepared to do so.
May we finish this discussion now,please?
Sailing is just a small hobby, it is neither important, or worth talking about.
Much better...doing. ?
Screenshot_20211012-182926.png
QED
(our latest sail...sunny Autumn).

Last edited:

dom

Visit site
For clarity I have read the so called offensive post. And I have to report I know a number of women who fall exactly into the category...

Oh for goodness sake !

Is there some sort of "Periodic Table of Women" that I've missed?

With "Fizzy Girls" over on the left that react violently to water, "Saily Chicks" somewhere in the middle, the ever so dull "Helium Babes" over on the right, and the sometimes fearsome Heavy Metal Goths down the bottom?

Bonkers!

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Oh for goodness sake !

Is there some sort of "Periodic Table of Women" that I've missed?

With "Fizzy Girls" over on the left that react violently to water, "Saily Chicks" somewhere in the middle, the ever so dull "Helium Babes" over on the right, and the sometimes fearsome Heavy Metal Goths down the bottom?

Bonkers!
If there is it’s probably cyclical

doug748

Visit site
God preserve me I have re-read the whole thread. A few mildly patronising comments but no name calling and no outlandish outbursts. It seems to me dancrane did his best to smoothly engage reverse gear but this is rarely enough when an offence case has been scented.

One or two comments have been made that are questionable on points presented as fact. I doubt if you could justify this comment, for example..... for most female halves of a mixed crews, she is:

"...............................ambivalent at best, about the sailing part of boat owning; and entirely repelled by the maintenance, and shocked by the cost, even though she may not know the half of it."

Many or Some in place of most would at least been arguable.

As we all know it is a fashionable trait to attack people not for what they say but for what the reader can accuse them of meaning. This intellectual switchback is, at root, the same mental process that led to all the great pogroms in history.

No one should be offended by the truth.

Stemar

Visit site
For the record, I know women who love sailing, some that do it to keep hubby company (to keep an eye on him? ;)) and some who won't set foot on a yacht. I also know, or at least know of, men in each category. Accepting that different people have different tastes and abilities seems to me to be part of being a decent human being. Accepting that the bell curve for men is perhaps more towards the love sailing end than that for women isn't being sexist, it's accepting things as they are. If the reason for women being less keen on sailing than men is men then, to my mind, it's even more important to acknowledge it - then do something about it.