how long from Bray to Penton Hook?

realslimshady

Visit site
Possibly going to need to move a Project 31' from Bray to Penton Hook Marina. On one engine. Anybody got any idea how long that trip would take?
Also, have no idea about river licence. Boat has safety certificates etc (it's been on the Ouse). What's the deal with putting it on the Thames? Cheers

Phill

Visit site
Should take about 4 hours, I would think. It will need a licence if the boat is on the Thames, whether in a marina or not, unless it's ashore. That can be obtained via the EA. A temporary licence is also available.

No Regrets

Visit site
It will vary. On a busy day, 5-6 hours, on a good one 4-5 hours.

Staines is a regular 3-3.5 hours from Bray. That can be trimmed down if the locks are exceptionally good or bad! Bear in ind a bad day could really really hit you badly.

Midweek, I'll stand on 4-5 tops though...

Actionmat

Visit site
I have a very similar boat and I wouldn't fancy the trip on one engine. On the plus side the flow will be coming at you, but I wouldn't attempt it if the boards are yellow. 4 hrs plus sounds about right and your annual licence will be around £550. They're very nice river boats when they're sorted.

An additional problem if you're down to one engine is the amount of debris in the river waiting to get your only working prop. If possible, I'd ask someone to follow you.

Last edited:

No Regrets

Visit site
The engine thing is not a huge issue, as many boats have only one engine.

Pulling away and stopping will be a bit messy unless you're a bit of a throttle ninja, so best make sure you have two crew to do the fenders etc. You'll soon find a way around things.

Go for it...

Actionmat

Visit site
The engine thing is not a huge issue, as many boats have only one engine

Yes, but single engined boats handle very differently to twins with one working prop. When are you planning on moving her? The river was very nice on the weekend but it's speeding up again.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Yes, but single engined boats handle very differently to twins with one working prop. When are you planning on moving her? The river was very nice on the weekend but it's speeding up again.
Not that big a deal. True the boat will tend to steer to port or starb'd depending on which engine it is but a little offset steering will cope quite happily, particularly at river speeds.

A little surprised at how negative some responses are - biggest problem facing you is making sure you have a valid licence. Are you intending just to visit for a while or to become Thames based?

Flynnbarr

Visit site
If it's at short notice,Buy a day licence at 1st lock you go through that is staffed,tell them your craning out at other end:)not strictly cricket but it'll get you there,gives you time to sort everything.if on only one engine/out drive make sure you tie up in lock with the engine that's working nearest the lock wall.outdrive boats can crab badly on one engine!
Good luck you'll be fine.

realslimshady

Visit site
will be based at Penton Hook, hopefully long-term, and will get boat sorted there. Just need to get her there ASAP and due to cranage/transport issues Bray on the 1st May is the soonest boat can be delivered (from Bedford), so we're hoping to drop her in there and trundle down with the current to Chertsey...

Actionmat

Visit site
if on only one engine/out drive make sure you tie up in lock with the engine that's working nearest the lock wall.outdrive boats can crab badly on one engine!
Good luck you'll be fine.

Thats a very good point, you'll be stuck on the wall if trying to pull away on the engine that's furthest away.

I'm not trying to be negative, I have an RLM31 and I really don't like it one engine.

Penton hook know those boats well, it's a good place to be to get it sorted and the chandlery was excellent the last time I looked (although it was a couple of years ago).

Good luck!

No Regrets

Visit site

I have a twin, and use it most of the time on one engine, as it's quieter and more economical.

No problemo...

teddington_lock

Visit site
If it's at short notice,Buy a day licence at 1st lock you go through that is staffed,tell them your craning out at other end:)not strictly cricket but it'll get you there.

Don't do that. You can't advise others to attempt to cheat the system and then moan about people not paying their dues.

When you get the first lock , hopefully they will issue you with an unregistered report which will give you some time to get your licence applied for , and won't cost you any money at the time.

If you have a BSS as you say , there's no problem with applying for a licence is there ? You could apply before you leave on your journey , and the resulting unregistered will be cancelled out :)

Don't lie to the lock staff , they have long memories.

Chris_d

Visit site
Yes no point buying a day license and an annual license, just do it properly if its staying on the river.

Agree about the one engine thing, a Project 31 will have twin Enfield outdrives and will be a bit of a handfull going into locks they have no steerage at the best of times,
so whilst it is possible and easy enough between locks much better to have both running.

realslimshady

Visit site
It does have twin enfield outdrives- quote 'no steerage at the best of times' is slightly worrying...
Have no intention of cheating the system, boat will be long-term at Penton Hook and I believe my brother (it's actually his boat) has already applied for the license.
And finally-it appears PH can now provide a crane on the 1st so our maiden voyage can be delayed pending some remedial action.
Thanks for all the replies and advice, hopefully see you out on the river soon!

Chris_d

Visit site
It does have twin enfield outdrives- quote 'no steerage at the best of times' is slightly worrying...

Not too worrying, its just when running on only one engine with outdrives which have no rudders, you need the outdrive to give you some rudder
effect when coming into locks and alongside. Unfortnately the Enfield has a very small leg so doesn't offer much rudder effect, you just need to take it slow and steady.