How far in a small boat

Visit site
Apologies for coming rather late to this thread. In answer to the basic premise of "how far"? For everyday weekending, being based in Poole, I found that in my 17 foot Procter Pirate it was fairly routine to either head to Weymouth or Cowes ( 26 and 32 miles respectively); it just took a bit longer than in a bigger boat, and, obviously was more weather dependant. Yes, I have done MUCH longer passages, which were lovely, but in the context of being less time constrained. Also, I must hold my hand up and admit that I was far from being a novice(though always learning). The accomodation on her is pretty basic, but I did live on her for three months: so bearable! I still have the boat, though haven't used her for a couple of years as I have traded up to a more capable 24 footer, which has widened the scope of things I can do, but isn't as much fun! And with a little boat its all about ( sometimes bum clenching) FUN. The video hopefully makes the point ( and yes, I know the luff of the genny was rather saggy in one clip!)

dancrane

Visit site
Thank you all, gentlemen.

So much wisdom...I don't really know any more now than 24 hours ago, but I'm looking at the whole picture differently.

...windward in twenty knots in an 18-footer won't be much fun for long, it's true. In our 33-footer we'll beat down the Solent in that wind, but we wouldn't cross the channel. Ditto our Achilles...hard work.
There is no ideal yacht that behaves perfectly in all weathers.

My own little 18 footer...tended to be a bit tender. But it was still vastly more stable than a dinghy. Even "big" boats heel a lot when hard pressed. Just buy the best you can and go sailing.

...you have to accept there are times when weather or sea conditions simply say no, you cannot go there, or be on time. The difference between ANY small yacht and your Osprey is that you will simply cruise an awful lot more often and a lot further; because it's easier to just go and your comfort levels and space available are far far superior.

I assumed that I would use my Wayfarer for quick day sails, keeping the yacht for longer cruises...but the yacht is far less hassle. It's always afloat, it never needs bailing out, it's always rigged, has sails already hanked on, you needn't wear any special clothing, or give much thought to the weather. If you get becalmed five miles from home you turn the engine on.

I may even have said most of those things myself, over the last 13 pages, but it's nice to hear them confirmed. And a video helps.

Phil...that's great footage. Kudos for keeping the horizon mostly horizontal...so many people don't. I know camera-microphones can seem to treble the windspeed, but your Pirate looked to be going well there, in maybe 18 knots true? And your relaxed commentary is a great counterpoint to the deck heeling 35° and spray bucketing back from the bow. :biggrin-new: All of that, I want too. :encouragement:

RupertW

Visit site
Should the thread title be changed to "What boat is Dan going to get?" :encouragement:

I'm not sure - people who buy boats just have an irresistible need, and aren't put off waiting for the right boat. The time to wait for the right boat is when you own one and are looking to upgrade.

dancrane

Visit site
I losing my grip here, last year you wanted an enclosed wheelhouse and all year sailing :wink-new:

:biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new:

I'm not in charge any more. I have the energy, but I've lost all steering. Just need a boat, now. Or, soon.

In truth, it's a matter of money. Who'd have thought it?

The smallest, oldest, slowest, saddest motor-sailer is still three times the cost of a very tidy small centreboarder.

So the goal is just to get a decent amount of sailing when the weather's good, rather than staying comfortable when it isn't.

Apologies for monopolising the thread though. And others.